Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with unlocked iphone 3g on prepaid

Default Help with unlocked iphone 3g on prepaid
    Was thinking of getting an unlocked 3g or 3gs and getting a prepaid tmobile plan, but I'm unsure of exactly what plan/plans I can actually get. I mainly want one just cause I can jailbreak. So, can I just activate any plan on and it will work? I mainly want data, with minimal calls and texts. I figure I can jailbreak and just use apps for calling and texting, so data is more important. Any help/advice? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Technically yes if it is unlocked you can put any SIM in and have service of your choice. You just need to enter an APN to get data working on the device. Depending on the service and carrier you choose, the APN varies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

aeonsfromutopia (02-29-2012)

So, if i were to get a 4g monthly prepaid and follow the steps in this stickied thread T Mobile Edge Settings Available Now - 100 % Workin it should work?

Thanks for the reply btw, I know enough about various gadgets but am absolutely clueless when it comes to unlocked phones and what not haha.

Thanks

You'd probably not want to get a 4G plan considering the iPhone can't use 4G. You can't even use 3G on it with T-Mobile, but you'll get edge for data. But yes that guide should work fine, however it should be easier to just set an APN for it. I haven't kept up with using software unlocked phones in a long time so I'm a bit rusty on what the settings are or if anything major has changed. I can do a quick search to see if I can dig up a thread that covers this topic.

Here's what I found for setting up an APN
    https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#ji...cuments%2F2383
    Last edited by i.Annie; 02-29-2012 at 05:46 PM.

I knew it only worked on edge but the 4g plan was a reasonable price for the features I needed

I actually decided to go for a sidekick 4g as it suits my needs better and is probably more capable than an iphone 3g anyway haha. But, thanks for the info either way!

Thanks

No problem

I'm on a Monthly 4G plan (100 minutes talk, UL text, UL data, $30/mo) and it works great. Of course I only get Edge but that's enough for email, weather, and notifications. Light surfing (like Craigslist) is OK.