Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Completed: T-Mobile Unlocked 3Gs on 3.1.3 updated to 5.0.1

Post Completed: T-Mobile Unlocked 3Gs on 3.1.3 updated to 5.0.1
    Hardware:

Iphone 3Gs on 3.1.3, Serial No. 84932.. -> (32nd week of 2009) modem baseband 05.12.01

Background:

After ATT contract was up, (ATT is evil) wanted to switch to T-Mobile and run iOS 5.0.1

Result:

Iphone 3Gs on 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak and still on modem baseband 05.12.01

Credits:

After following threads on here and several tutorials and couple of youtube videos, I have an iphone 3Gs that is fast, smooth and works perfectly on iOS 5.0.1 in every respect. So many new features and capabilities. Feels like a brand new phone and prefer it over my daughters iphone 4 running iOS4.

Thanks MMI, devteam, iClarified, and so many others across the net.

--------------------------------------------------

The above can be done via several methods and in different sequences etc. Wanted to post what my notepad file has and how I went from a 3.1.3 3Gs phone to an awesome 5.0.1 3Gs phone.

<notepad text below is the sequence that worked and has some random info as well.>

6:45 AM 2/13/2012
    Followed this tutorial:

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Without Updating the Baseband (Windows) [5.0.1]
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Without Updating the Baseband (Windows) [5.0.1]

These are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 without updating the baseband using RedSn0w for Windows. You may want to do this to preserve an unlock from a lower baseband version.

Please note this jailbreak is tethered for every device EXCEPT FOR the old bootrom iPhone 3GS which means you will need to connect your device to the computer each time you reboot. Also, it may be prudent to save your SHSH Blobs by following this tutorial before continuing if you haven't already.

6:47 AM 2/13/2012

Step One
    Create a folder on your desktop called Pwnage (Important)

Extracted redsn0w_win_0.9.10b5c to the Pwnage folder

Using iClarified links at their site, I downloaded the 3Gs ispw restore file for iOS version: 5.0.1 and put in in the Pwnage folder.

Step Two
    Launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we just extracted.

Step Three
    Click to select Extras from the main menu.

Step Four
    Click to select Custom IPSW from the Extras menu.

Step Five
    Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the IPSW 5.0.1 we downloaded then click Open.

If you are using the iPhone 3GS you may be asked to identify whether you are on a newer or older model.

My iphone 3GS has the older bootrom and NOT the newer fixed bootrom made during week 45 or later.

4th and 5th digit of serial number of mine shows mine was made in the 32nd week of 2009.
    my iphone 3GS serial number is: 84932...

Step Six
    RedSn0w will now begin building a custom IPSW for you.

Step Seven
    You'll be notified once RedSn0w has completed building your IPSW. Click the OK button.

I now have created a 'Custom IPSW' to preserve baseband with a custom IPSW

filename:
    NO_BB_OLDROM_iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

after creating: a message came up with file name and said: NOTE: must be in "Pwned DFU mode to use this file"

Be very careful NOT TO use a stock IPSW during ANY itunes restore. Use only a custom ipsw... eg: one with the NO_BB_* prefix that was created using redsnow 0.9.10.x.x when you restore an iOS using iTunes.

---------------------

Step Eight
    Click the Pwned DFU button from the Extras menu.

Steps Nine, Ten, Eleven
    Got iphone in Pwned DFU mode.

Step Twelve
    You'll then be notified that your iPhone is in Pwned DFU mode. (and ready to accept custom ipsw files in itunes)

Step Thirteen
    Launch iTunes by clicking its icon in your dock.

Step Fourteen
    Select your device from the list on the left then under the Summary tab hold down the Shift key (for windows users) and click the Restore button.

Step Fifteen
    You will then be asked to select your IPSW for restore. Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the IPSW that begins with NO_BB (ie: NO_BB_OLDROM_iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw) then click the Open button.

Step Sixteen
    iTunes will now restore your device using the Custom IPSW.

Note when my iphone 3gs finally rebooted the main screen showed up with the:
    'Configure' "slide menu" and displayed in several different languages.

I went through the configuration menu PRIOR to doing below which was prob a mistake because after doing a configuration from the factory new setup screen, the phone displayed a message to insert a valid sim card in order to activate the phone. not good I thought, still had steps below to complete.

At this point my iphone 3gs was upgraded to 5.0.1 firmware but NOT ACTIVATED and therefore could not get phone to the home screen along with a message saying to connect to itunes with a valid sim card to activate the phone.

.................................................. .....
    NEXT procedures follow below:

JAILBREAK AND INSTALL CYDIA
    Follow these instructions to jailbreak your device on the new iOS 5.0.1 firmware.

iPhone 3GS
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Windows) [5.0]

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Windows) [5.0]
    Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 08:10 am

These are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS on the iOS 5.0 firmware using RedSn0w for Windows.

Step One
    Create or find the folder on your desktop called Pwnage

Make sure the redsn0w_win_0.9.10b5c folder is in the Pwnage folder

Make sure the downloaded 5.0.1 firmware ispw restore files for iOS version: 5.0.1 are in the Pwnage folder.

Step Two: (Skip this step if you're on iOS 5 already)

Step Three
    Launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we extracted earlier.

**Windows 7 users may want to try running the redsn0w executable mode as an administrator in Windows Vista compatibility. You can do this by right clicking the executable and selecting Properties from the contextual menu.

Step Four
    Once RedSn0w opens click the Jailbreak button (jailbreak and install cydia)

Step Five
    Plug your iPhone into the computer and make sure its OFF then click the Next button

Step Six
    RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode.

Step Seven
    Your iPhone will now reboot

Step Eight
    RedSn0w will prepare the jailbreak data.

Step Nine
    Select only 'Install Cydia' from the list of options and click Next.

Step Ten
    Your iPhone will now be rebooted again and RedSn0w will begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel.

Step Eleven
    Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken with Cydia on the SpringBoard.

NOTE when phone reboots i went through the setup menus to setup the iphone and chose to set it up as a "new phone" (which wiped all previous data so the 5.0.1 OS would be similar to a fresh factory install.

Start Using iphone is last button that I had to press after the activation using redsnow above.

UNLOCK for T-Mobile:
    If you have a supported baseband you can now install UltraSn0w to unlock your device. Instructions are here.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

BOOT TETHERED
    Once you have jailbroken you will need to rerun redsn0w to boot tethered. (only for newer fixed bootrom versions).

START HERE FOR UNLOCKING USING ULTRASNOW VIA CYDIA

STEP ONE...
    REMOVE SIM CARD.

After iphone home screen is ready find the Cydia App and start it (first time opening it select "user"

Be patient and let all packages load until they are all loaded.

Tap Search and enter ultrasn in text box and click on ultrasn0w in the results.

From Ultrasn0w package, click on 'Install' and then 'Confirm'
    text will scroll and then after finishing Restart Springboard will appear and tap this restart springboard button.

After the Springboard is restarted,
    TURN OFF PHONE by holding power button for the power off slider and restart phone.

If you are using a T-Mobile SIM card, remember to turn off 3G before installing SIM card.

MAKE SURE TO GO TO SETTINGS GENERAL NETWORK AND TURN OFF 3G

Install Sim Card now and T-Mobile will now be available.

Tested phone by making call to Rosie and it was great!

.................................................. ..................
    Next is to setup MMS on IPhone for Tmobile
    .................................................. ..................

Found this video and downloaded file via Youtube and it worked great:

How_To_Get_MMS_On_iPhone_4_3Gs_3G_2G_Tmobile_Any_F irmware
    _5_0_1_5_0_4_3_5_4_2_1_3_1_3_Data(3).flv

Step 1
    Start Cydia (let all packages load)

Tap 'Manage' button at bottom
    Tap 'Sources'
    Tap Edit button and then Add button

At prompt: 'Enter Cydia/APT URL'
    type in http://beta.leimobile.com/repo

Tap 'Add Source'

After Source has loaded you will see LEIMobile

Tap LEIMobile repository

Scroll down and look for 'T-Mobile MMS Fix'

Tap 'T-Mobile MMS Fix'
    Tap 'Install' and 'Confirm'

Step 2
    Restart iPhone

Go to Settings/General/Network/Cellular Data Network

Two Sections need to be filled in: They are "APN" for cellular data and "APN" for MMS
    (note: all other sections will already be filled with correct values via the LEIMobile package).

"APN" for cellular data, enter this value: epc.tmobile.com
    "APN" for MMS, enter this value: wap.voicestream.com

Tested sending and receiving text messages with and without pictures... all messages sent and received to and from iphones and android phones worked great .

<end notepad file>
    Last edited by zeppy; 02-14-2012 at 08:13 AM.