Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
12-30-2011, 08:42 AM #1Pwnage tool not working for 5.0.1
Hello all. I was just wondering if anyone has run into this problem that I am having. The past few days I have been tryin to create a custom 5.0.1 firmware file with pwnagetool on my mac, but every time I set it up it asks me for my password then a few seconds after errors out with the I haz fail logo. I downloaded pwnagetool from the official torrent and the stock 5.0.1 firmware from Iclarified. Has anyone else had this problem. I use an ultrasn0w unlock on my iphone 4 (gsm) to get onto tmobiles network. I am currently on firmware 4.2.1 with no problems and got there using an older pwnagetool. I really want to upgrade to 5.0.1 if anyone can walk me through this. I'm on an older bb of 01.59.00 and would like to keep it that way for the ultrasn0w unlock. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Also I have never used redsn0w to cook up a custom firmware and am a little tentative to do so cuz I am not fully comfortable with using it. If that would work in my situation i wouldnt be apposed to using it, but I might need a little help. Thanks again
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM #2
Yes, it's very important that you preserved the precious 1.59 baseband. It has a high resale value, too... 8-)) I don't have a Mac so these steps below were how I did it using a PC running Windows XP or Vista (some people have difficulty with Windows 7, but I haven't done it myself):
Note: Create a backup with iTunes if you want to keep contacts, calendar, notes, apps, etc. to restore later;
1. Download sn0wbreezee v2.8b11 from here iH8sn0w.com
2. Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 from here https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1
3. Download official iOS 5.0.1 firmware from here Firmware - The iPhone Wiki
Note: It's important that you run these programs under Administrative and Windows XP compatibility mode
4. Create a custom firmware and preserve baseband using sn0wbreeze v2.8b11
- Run sn0wbreeze; click on OK; click on Close Credits; click Right Arrow (lower right corner)
- Drag the offical iOS 5.0.1 firmware downloaded in Step 3 to the box saying "Drag an IPSW into me!"
- If the IPSW verification is successful, click Right Arrow
Otherwise, repeat Step 3 and download the correct firmware for your iPhone
- Click on Baseband Preservation Mode
Note: don't click on Simple Mode or Expert Mode because it will be tethered jailbreak which you don't want
- Click on Right Arrow; click Yes on popup msg "Reminder: This mode does NOT jailbreak, it only preserves the baseband ...."
- Click on "No Thanks. I'll stick to the spinner" button
- Don't do anything on the computer; wait for sn0wbreeze to create the custom firmware it takes a while
- When sn0wbreeze is done, click on OK; it saved the custom firmware on the desktop called "sn0wbreeze_iPhone 4-5.0.1.ipsw"
5. Put your iPhone in Pwned DFU mode using sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w
- Follow sn0wbreeze instructions to put your iPhone in Pwned DFU mode
Or, you can use Redsn0w to do it; either method will work fine.
If you choose Redsn0w, then click Extras->Pwned DFU; follow the
instructions. Once your iPhone is in Pwned DFU mode, proceed to next step
6. Run latest iTunes version or at least version 10.5.1; Older version of iTunes will give some error
- Shift+Click on Restore (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Browse to the custom firmware created in Step 4 (on desktop)
- Wait for iTunes to finish
7. Use an old AT&T SIM or a Cingular SIM (if you phone is locked to AT&T); otherwise use whatever SIM that your phone is locked to
- Insert an old AT&T SIM and follow the instructions on the iPhone to activate
- Sync with iTunes
- Restore with a backup if you have one (see note above); otherwise, setup as a new iPhone
Note: if you don't have an old SIM to activate the phone, Redsn0w jailbreak will hactivate you iPhone then you need to install
SAM for Push Notifications, facetime, iMessage, etc. to work. However, this method doesn't work well on iOS 5.x.x as
reported by lots of people. I don't know about this because I always activate with an old AT&T SIM
8. Run latest version of RedSn0w (0.9.10b3) to untethered jailbreak
- click on Jailbreak button;
- Follow Redsn0w instructions to jailbreak your iPhone
Note: if you need to unlock using gevey, you can see the info from this thread T-Mobile Gevey Ultra ios 5.0.1 Preserved BB
If you have baseband 1.59, you can unlock using Ultrasn0w 1.2.5. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this.
P.S. The above steps pretty much covered what I did on 5 or 6 iPhone 4 that I have done for my family ....
12-30-2011, 01:30 PM #3
Wow thanks for the info. If I am unsuccessful with pwnagetool I will certainly give your instructions a try. I have finally been able to cook up a custom 5.0.1 firmware with pwnagetool and backed up my phone. The new problem I am running into is after I hit option restore in iTunes and point it to my custom firmware I am getting the 16** errors. I have the newest version of itunes and I have even tried running the tiny umbrella TSS server. Any way I try to do this gives me an error in iTunes after it gets to 'setting up iphone for software update'. Luckily tiny umbrella has been able to kick my phone out of recovery mode and 4.2.1 still works on my phone. I don't understand what I'm doin wrong since this is how I've always jb and unlocked all of my previous iPhones in the past. Any ideas?
got it. pwnagetool DFU mode wasnt working but redsn0w got it to work....finally!
Last edited by beastiezzz; 12-30-2011 at 01:53 PM.
12-30-2011, 03:51 PM #4
You don't need to use TU for this restore because Apple is signing 5.0.1. Error 16xx caused by host file (pc) redirecting apple server. Don't know what you need to do on the Mac, but on the PC I would suggest to run TU uncheck Set Hosts to Cydia and exit. By doing this, TU reset host file back to its original state. After this is done try to restore with custom firmware again.
Starting with iOS 5, Apple has changed on how is validate restore using APTicket; thus, TU is no longer working on 5.x.x until a fix come out.
Also, to restore with cfw you need to put your iPhone in PWNED DFU mode but not DFU mode.
P.S. Once you have jailbroken iOS 5.0.1, use iFaith v1.4.1 to create a signed custom firmware just in case you need a restore later as TU is no longer working....
Last edited by hcgaloi; 12-30-2011 at 03:54 PM.
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM #5
Much thanks for all your help. After a day of fighting and yelling at my iphone it seems to be working well finally on 5.0.1. I appreciate the help
01-01-2012, 06:14 PM #6
Hey Op did you get everything to work with the update such as mms, iMessage and FaceTime and internet setting to work?
01-01-2012, 06:47 PM #7I got same problem.
01-01-2012, 09:00 PM #8
However, I did have internet, MMS (both send and receive) and FaceTime working on t-mobile with the usual modified cellular data settings that work well with my plan. I did not try iMessage before the phone bricked itself so I am not sure if that was working or not. I used the epc.tmobile.com for my cell data like i always have. i use pkgbackup in cydia which is a cool app that can back up and restore your cydia repos, packages, settings and contacts after a restore. Its seems great in theory, but i feel like this is the reason that my phone got screwed up because some of my old cydia apps that were restored were not all compatible with ios 5 yet. It would have been easier to start from scratch again. Oh well, live and learn I guess. hope this was of some help...i will post on my progress when i decide to go back to 5.0.1...
Last edited by beastiezzz; 01-01-2012 at 09:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to beastiezzz For This Useful Post: