+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS, 05.13.04, 4.2.1, JB and Unlocked...can I upgrade to 5.0? Should I?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello all. It's me again. Despite the number of times I've asked questions here I'm still very dense. I saw the wonderful jailbreak guide and I see that there is
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3GS, 05.13.04, 4.2.1, JB and Unlocked...can I upgrade to 5.0? Should I?
    Hello all. It's me again. Despite the number of times I've asked questions here I'm still very dense. I saw the wonderful jailbreak guide and I see that there is an untethered JB for 5.0...is that all I need to worry about? Is unlocking it to use on T-Mobile a totally different ballgame?

As always I am very appreciate of all your help. Thank you in advance.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You need to preserve baseband 05.13.04 to unlock with Ultrasn0w after upgrading to 5.0.1. Otherwise, if you do an official restore/upgrade or using official firmware, your baseband will be upgraded to a version that is not unlockable by Ultrasn0w. If this were the case, you then have to upgrade to iPad baseband (06.15) to unlock and lose GPS functionality. I'll skip the backup/restore the iPhone. Here are the steps that I would do to upgrade to 5.0.1 and preserved the baseband:

1. Download official 5.0.1 firmware for 3gs (http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...5_Restore.ipsw).
    2. Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b2 (or whichever is the latest)
    - Run Redsn0w; click on Extra->Custom IPSW (build a custom firmware to preserve baseband)
    - Follow instructions and use the official firmware downloaded in step 1 (be patient, it takes awhile for
    Redsn0w to build)
    - If there is no problem, Redsn0w will save the custom firmware in the same location as the official 5.0.1
    However, the file name will start with No_BB......
    3. Run Redsn0w; click Extras->Pwned DFU
    - Follow instructions to put iPhone in pwned DFU mode
    4. Run iTunes (latest version 10.5.x);
    - For Windows, Shift+Click on restore button (very important that you Shift+click)
    - Browse to the custom firmware created in step 2 (No_BB.... )
    - Let iTunes restore the iPhone ... it takes awhile...
    5. If you have an official SIM that the iPhone is locked to (AT&T), put that in to activate. Otherwise,
    you need to activate with SAM (search for tutorial all over the net) afterward
    6. Run Redsn0w; click on Jailbreak
    - Follow instructions to put iPhone in DFU mode
    - Make sure Install Cydia is checked
    - Be patient... it takes awhile to unlock

If you did a backup before upgrading to iOS 5.0.1, you may want to do a restore before jailbreaking (step 6). Hopefully, you know how to unlock with Ultrasn0w. The method is the same as before, or you can search for tutorial on Ultrasn0w 1.2.5

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hcgaloi For This Useful Post:

Vonnie Boo (12-31-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you! Just a few questions -

1. I run Ultrasnow after the jailbreak? (I do have an ATT SIM)
    2. Do I need a new patch for MMS after this update?