+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gevey Sim Ultra on IOS 4.1 - no sim message

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey all, I'm hoping to get a little help here. I have an iPhone 4 jailbroken on IOS 4.1 and a Gevey Sim Ultra. I've followed the instructions on their
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Gevey Sim Ultra on IOS 4.1 - no sim message
    Hey all, I'm hoping to get a little help here.

I have an iPhone 4 jailbroken on IOS 4.1 and a Gevey Sim Ultra. I've followed the instructions on their website but no matter what I do the iPhone say no sim is inserted. I never get the Gevey welcome screen. I am using the microsim provided by TMobile, with the notch cut myself, and with a sim adapter I can confirm that the sim works great in my iPhone 3g, but I'm getting nothing with the Gevey. Any ideas?

I bought the Gevey through an official supplier so it is legit.

Not sure if it matters, but I followed the second guide (>>Restoring to *STOCK* firmware that you are *CURRENTLY ON* Without Known SHSHs Saved Already<<) to restore my phone last night - [CHECKLIST] Use This Before Restoring/Upgrading/Downgrading

It was jailbroken with Limnra1n.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,786 Times in 6,879 Posts

If it just says no sim the whole time no matter what you do then it is a faulty gevey sim. Send it back for a replacement.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    What's the "notch" ?

FWIW, I cut my SIM card according to the template provided by an "adapter" so I could (haha) use again in another regular SIM card. I didn't cut any notch. I inserted according to the instructions with my Gevey and started with the tray, Gevey, SIM card, and went through all the steps to activate. It took a lotta time to get it right (repeated attempts at activation per the YouTube video and the Gevey instructions, but now it works.

Haven't a clue why, let alone why it took so many stress-filled attempts before it worked right.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You're supposed to cut a notch at the top right corner so that you clear the Gevey chip. Here is an example I found in another thread. - http://modmyi.com/attachments/forums...edbymodmyi.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThrowingChicken For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (12-23-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Never had to cut anything like that on my tmobile sim card when I placed it on the gevey tray. :/

Also try this:

1 &ndash; Reset cellular data network settings!
    (Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network> Reset at the bottom.)
    2 &ndash; Disable 3G!
    3 &ndash; Try it again!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Where did you purchase your Gevey?

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Applenberry.com

Thanks

The legit gevey's need the notch cut in the top right of the micro sim. There are many other versions that do not need this done.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The legit gevey's need the notch cut in the top right of the micro sim. There are many other versions that do not need this done.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, but the other poster said he got it from applenberry.com so it must be legit, right?

R.Mortera, are you using the Pro or the Ultra?

Thanks

It shouldnt matter. Both the pro and ultra on applenberry's site have instructions to cut the top right. Maybe the tmobile micro sims are just smaller than normal

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Might there be any good threads here that go in depth about using the Gevey with a T-Mobile microsim? Unlike other microsims I have seen, it appears that the metal contacts on the T-Mobile micro are much larger. I worry about how deep I can cut this notch without damaging the sim. It might help if I could see the contact side of another sim that was notched and still works.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have applenberry Gevey Ultra and T-mobile micro-SIM in an iPhone 4 and successfully using it on 4.2.1, 4.3.3, 5.0 and 5.0.1. I did cut top right notch for it to fit with the Gevey. The cut that I did doesn't touch the metal part at all.
    First thing first, check to make sure moderm firmware version is supported by Gevey. Go to Settings->General->About and scroll down below. Is the baseband version unlockable by Gevey?
    If so, continue on.

Since you're on iOS 4.1 and followed installation instructions on applenberry, I assume that you have furiousmod install for the automatic unlock method. So the below instructions is for troubleshooting.

1. Reset Network Settings; go to Settings->General->Reset tap on Reset Network Settings
    2. Make sure Cellular Data and Data Roaming are ON; go to Settings->General->Network
    3. Do a Reboot; Press Power button then use red slider to power off then press Power button to turn on

For the automatic unlock method to work, sometimes you need to perform the manual dialing 112 method on the first time. Then every time after Gevey will automatically unlock for you.

4. At this point if the Gevey msg popup, click on Accept;
    Otherwise, go to Setting->Phone->SIM Application select the language that you like (English) or
    Instructions in a few seconds Gevey msg will popup, click on Accept
    5. Wait for 1-bar signal
    6. Dial 112; end call after 2 seconds; wait until it says call ended
    7. Quickly go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode
    8. Wait and eventually No SIM Installed msg will popup (1-2mins)
    9. Press Ok
    10. Turn off Airplane Mode and it will say SIM failure
    11. Press ok
    12. Turn on Airplane Mode and turn it off
    13. Wait about 4mins your carrier service will come in

Note: it's important that you completed step 6 & 7 before No SIM Installed msg popup; otherwise, it will not work.
    Once this is done. Every time you power off/on, click on Cancel when Gevey msg popup for the automatic unlocking process to work. If you click on Accept, sometimes the unlocking will fail.

Good luck
    Last edited by hcgaloi; 12-22-2011 at 09:50 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hcgaloi For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (12-22-2011)

Thanks
    I'm a bit embarassed right now as my phone has had a few disconnectes (2xs when I switch cellular data on) and I had to go through the whole frickin process as hcg delineates above. Then, my phone went silent as I was in the middle of an important call and I had to ACCEPT again and go through the steps several times.

FWIW, my cut microSIM clears that area that many seem to cut. If it didn't, I don't think it would fit in the phone. Further, I think I'll pick up a new microSIM from TMobile soon.

Grr. Doesn't the jailbreak and unlocking work permanently? If I reboot, do I have to go through this rigamarole repeatedly? When using a Gevey SIM, am I tethered? Frankly, I've spent a lot of $$ for a phone that I can't swear is better than my 4GS. And less. This disconnecting and going through that whole Gevey process is a PITA. Is there a jailbreak/unlock that works without the Gevey?

When it works, I'm fine. But right now, I'm growly and sorry I bought the 4. At least the 3GS was dependable.
    Last edited by phineasboggs; 12-22-2011 at 05:45 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No, you don't need to repeat the steps every single time. You only do it once when you first installed the Gevey. After that everytime you power off/on just tap cancel on the Gevey msg.

It's correct that you cut the upper corner of the micro-SIM, but make sure you don't touch the metal part. Just trim the plastic corner.
    Also, why don't you tell us the steps that you did to install Gevey. From what you're saying, it seems like
    1) You bought an imitation Gevey. I have experienced a couple that repeatedly drop calls by cycling the searching signal process.
    The ones from applenberry.com are much better quality and should works flawlessly
    2) You may not installed furiousmod for the automatic unlocking process.

For me, I'm very happy with my iPhone 4. I suppose you need to iron out a few glitches on yours. Also, you may want to check out jailbreakqa.com. The experienced jailbreakers/hackers there can really help out alot. Good luck

P.S. In my earlier post, you need to turn ON Cellular Data and Data Roaming .. I didn't type that in clearly sorry....
    Last edited by hcgaloi; 12-22-2011 at 09:50 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hcgaloi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Entire thread is tl;dr. If you are experiencing "no sim," then pop out the sim tray and pop it back in again. If it's stuck like that, then pop it out, reboot, wait for the phone to turn on completely (to the home screen), then pop it back in. This is suggestion number one.

Suggestion number two would be to consider your unit itself. I had a baseband from 4.2.1 that messed EVERYTHING up. It took 17-23 times (yes, I counted) to unlock, even with a Gevey Supreme I bought with a legitimate product number and everything. After updating to the 4.3.5 baseband, it seems to work fine, even with my counterfeit one. Sure, I have to pop out the SIM tray every once in a while, but I get it done on the first shot EVERY SINGLE TIME after I pop it back in.

It doesn't matter whether or not you have a legit one or not. They're all coded the same. The only difference between counterfeit ones and "real" ones are build quality and price. The cheap one could have a chip that is soldered onto the flex circuit cable terribly.

All the Asians (myself excluded) in the Southern California area have a habit of going on Craigslist and selling these Geveys for a REALLY high markup price, whereas I bought a Gevey Blue (possibly counterfeit) ULTRA SIM for like six bucks from a guy on eBay. As long as they both don't have physical defects, THEY BOTH WORK THE SAME. Period.

Thanks
    "@hcg, thanks again!!!!

Hit Cancel" AHA! That's extremely important. THANKS! Perhaps I coulda avoided the whole redo bit had I done that instead of "accept." Of course, I still must figure out what causes the reboot in the middle of a call etc. It could be the MicroSIM cut, although it is cut to fit, even though it doesn't have that little cut out that I now see on the user guide.

I cannot swear it is not counterfeit as it came with the phone and the user guide says www.gevey.com--but it also refers to appleandberry.com for "shop online." I'll take it out later and check the counterfeit spots as on the applenberry.com site. But your description of problems makes me wonder.

I think I'll pick up an uncut T-Mobile microSIM first, then, if that doesn't work well, consider buying a new Gevey SIM. Can you tell me again why I need a Gevey when I didn't need one with my 3GS?

I don't know about furiousmod and haven't installed nor have I attempted to install it.

My phone is 4.3.3. (8J2) with 4.10.01.

Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post
    No, you don't need to repeat the steps every single time. You only do it once when you first installed the Gevey. After that everytime you power off/on just tap cancel on the Gevey msg.

It's correct that you cut the upper corner of the micro-SIM, but make sure you don't touch the metal part. Just trim the plastic corner.
    Also, why don't you tell us the steps that you did to install Gevey. From what you're saying, it seems like
    1) You bought an imitation Gevey. I have experienced a couple that repeatedly drop calls by cycling the searching signal process.
    The ones from applenberry.com are much better quality and should works flawlessly
    2) You may not installed furiousmod for the automatic unlocking process.

For me, I'm very happy with my iPhone 4. I suppose you need to iron out a few glitches on yours. Also, you may want to check out jailbreakqa.com. The experienced jailbreakers/hackers there can really help out alot. Good luck

P.S. In my earlier post, you need to turn ON Cellular Data and Data Roaming .. I didn't type that in clearly sorry....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The cycling of searching for signal can also cause by the cutting of the SIM. If it moves around even a tiny bit and with an imitation (lesser quality) gevey, the problem is severed. It seem like you bought a used iPhone 4 and really don't know the history of it. So, instead of paying for an applenberry's Gevy ($25 including tax/delivery), You have a good idea of getting another micro-SIM from T-mobile for free. This time try to cut the corner just enough for it to sit flat on the tray and avoid pushing on the chip, also, try not to cut into the metal part.

Since the automatic unlocking method works, I'm certain that furimous mod is installed on your phone by previous owner. Otherwise, it would not work. You can check by looking for furiousmod icon on your phone.

The reason you need a Gevey is because Ultrasn0w can't unlock your baseband. On iPhone 4, it can only unlock 1.59. On the 3gs, Ultrasn0w can unlock 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and 06.15.00. The baseband 06.15.00 is from iPad. Because the chips are compatible people can upgrade to it so that Ultrasn0w can unlock it. However, there is a price to pay, the 3gs(es) with iPad baseband lost GPS functionality. Anyway, Ultrasn0w often refer to as software unlock and Gevey is hardware unlock.

Also, it's very important that you preserve the current unlockable baseband if you decide to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1. Otherwise, there is nothing that can unlock iOS 5.x.x basebands, and you would inadvertently convert your iPhone to an iPod 8-)). When it's time to do so, search for sn0wbreeze. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do it.

Good luck

BTW, another reason for the searching cycles can be that you have Cellular Data turn off. You MUST have BOTH Cellular Data and Data Roaming turn ON to avoid the searching signal problem. I would try this first before getting another microSIM
    Last edited by hcgaloi; 12-23-2011 at 01:03 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hcgaloi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Before I buy another Gevey, I'll get a free TMobile MicroSIM. My cutting--albeit it wasn't done with an official cutter--seems to fit fine, but I'm sure it can be improved upon. It does make sense to me that it could move about a bit, as the cutting is not precise.

I won't even consider upgrading to .5.01 unless it's a fairly easy upgrade and sans tethering. E.g., not now. I unlocked a few earlier (2 and 3) iPhones, with one brick that leaves me reluctant.

As for Cellular Data, I pretty much keep this off in both iPhones. If I need to download email or search the internet, I can do that with WiFi. If it is urgent for me to use cellular data (and I do have an unlimited plan) I can quickly turn it on.

Indeed, my 3GS went through periods of really rotten GPS reception. Right now, unexplainably, it is quite excellent. Go figure.

Thanks so much for your time. I understand a little bit more.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

To use Gevey you need to keep Cellular Data ON; otherwise, it will periodically cycles through searching for signals. One of the things that furiousmod does is to keep Data Roaming on (thus, cellular data must be on), so I guess that is a requirement.

I suggest to try keeping cellular data and data roaming on to see if it fixes your problem. I strongly suspect this is the culprit. Good luck

Thanks
    That's very interesting. And that would explain why the disconnect/reboot happened twice when I either turned icellular data off or on. And, while there is no icon for furiousmod, when I turn either data roaming or cellular data on or off, the other follows suit. I turned it back on when I had problems reconnecting my bluetooth (had turned it off for battery saving). I needed to troubleshoot as it wouldn't connect. Finally discovered "status" was how to reconnect. It's all learning!

I guess I'll keep data and BT on, and .. . 3G off?

Best.