+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Update 3GS T-Mobile, or get an Android?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an iPhone 3GS that I've used for a coupla years on T-Mobile. Version: 4.2.1 (8C148a) Model MC137LL 87946***3NR Modem Firmware 06.15.00 It was jailbroken by Cydia. I was
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Default Update 3GS T-Mobile, or get an Android?
    I have an iPhone 3GS that I've used for a coupla years on T-Mobile.

Version: 4.2.1 (8C148a)
    Model MC137LL
    87946***3NR
    Modem Firmware 06.15.00

It was jailbroken by Cydia. I was warned by the eBay seller to NOT update it or everything would stop working and I'd be left with a bookmark instead of a phone. So, here I am with a phone that is getting pretty slow and the GPS isn't working so some of the map routing (walking) is irrelevant.

I've wondered if I should just get some Android (if so, which one) or if I should find some way to update this iPhone. Will its GPS ever work?

What do you think I should do? Should I find a way to update this phone without messing it up (e.g., what program should I use at this point?) and/or steer me to the appropriate threads (search is out of wack today) about what I can do on this phone?

Further, if you are an iPhone T-Mobile person, do you think I should stick with the iPhone or switch to a T-Mobile Android (and which one?)

Tx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Don't upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, Ultrasnow will not work yet. Your gps is not going to work even if you do a restore.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

You should get an Android. See how you like it. If you don't like it, go back to the iPhone. I mean, I already know I love the iPhone and can't do with any other phone, but some people haven't figured that out yet. So it's up to you really. You should go with your gut.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You should get an Android. See how you like it. If you don't like it, go back to the iPhone. I mean, I already know I love the iPhone and can't do with any other phone, but some people haven't figured that out yet. So it's up to you really. You should go with your gut.
    . Even responding on my iPhone takes so long. Are you on tmobile? Indeed I realize it's my choice and I need input from people
    More knowledgable. I still need to know what I should dO about upgrading and what this phone will tolerate. And if no update will work what android could have good speaker and voice and be least trauma. Tx

Thanks

I used to have TMobile but I got fed up with worrying about unlocking. My point is, regarding your choice and knowledgable input, it's hard to say what you'll like or not bc everyone is different.

I haven't kept up with T-Mo but I hear the Samsung galaxy s II is great. If I were to go Android I'd try that out on T-Mo.

Don't get me wrong, I love iPhones but I'm not so much into the older models like the 3GS and the fact that you have yours on the iPad bb which creates extra work when it comes to fw updates and GPS malfunction. So if you don't want to upgrade or don't have hundreds of dollars to dish out for the iP4 or 4S, that galaxy s II might be worth a go. You get to have 3G or even 4G too.

I love the iP4 but I probably wouldn't have an iPhone if it wasn't $200 with a contract bc I can't afford more than that at one time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The eBay seller was being overly cautious with you. You can upgrade to another iOS as long as it has a JB and ultrasn0w compatibility. I upgraded to 5.0 without a hitch. The problem is they stopped signing 5.0 and 5.0.1 is not unlockable. If you have blobs saved you can upgrade to 4.3.5. The upgrade may help your phone run better.

Thanks

With that iPad baseband, the device will always be unlockable at the expense of GPS functionality. Keeping the device at 4.2.1 is best for one particular reason: it's untethered, no point in upgrading to 4.3.5 for a tethered jb. No point in upgrading at all to 4.3.3 even, it doesn't do much more than what 4.2.1 offers. If one were to deal with a tethered jb, might as well go iOS 5. Aside from that, to get to 4.3.5 SHSHs are required anyhow.

Thanks
    Okay. I bought a Galaxy vibrant. Im a bit nervous since I've been on iPhone so long. Change sucks. Waiting for it to come in(eBay ) but curious how it compares. I know it's silly to ask about. Droid info on an apple info site but I trust you guys more thansamsung fans. The galaxy isn't the brand new one. If you have used this on tmobile. Pleas lete know yer advice. Thanks.

Thanks
    New Update. Samsung Galaxy S4G sucks for me. I've been hyperfocused on learning it and . . . I just want my iphone. I guess I have to get a new one -- not necessarily the Siri one. Now that there's a jailbreak for version 5 . . . more research and galaxy is going back. Thanks you all!

Thanks

Lol glad you found out what you like now.

Thanks
    Heheh. I know what I like. I like the iPhone, but, like you, I don't like hassle of jailbreaking and limits. I wanted the ease of a Tmo phone. But, WTF, I couldn't even answer the Samsung, and, in the middle of talking, even though I have everything silent,a loud voice audible to caller, hears the voice. Two days of hyperfocus and my brain is fried. It shouldn't be that hard.

Then, I start thinking about upgrading my 3GS (87946) to 5.0, but don't know if it's worth it or even if it'll work.
    Next, I think about buying an iPhone 4, and jailbreaking it. But I don't know what works in TMobile. Sigh. I still have fried brains. Happy TG weekend! Thanks Annie.

Thanks
    Oh, BTW, I have another iPhone I use as a touch. I think this is the one I jailbroke a few years ago, but not sure:

Version 3.1.3 (7E18)
    Model MA501LL
    #7R7340L****
    Firmware 4.05.04_G

I'm wondering if it's worth updating this in case I screw up the 3GS.

Thanks

Do you know if it's old or new bootrom? Old bootrom means you get to have an untethered jb on iOS 5.

For the second device, that's a 2G right? I'm looking at that baseband, that's what I figure. 3.1.3 is the highest it will go

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (11-26-2011)

Thanks
    Yeah, the above one is 2G I think I jailbroke it. The 3gs is, sadly, new bootrom. 87946. Do you think it's worth trying to upgrade. I'll be ablle to SIM the 2G if I kill the 3GS <g> I like enough about this Samsung POS, that I really want an upgraded iPhone . . . do you have a clue if both the 4 and 4 s are okay jailbroken for Tmobile. I get confused and don't know which will give me best access to Tmo -- jailbreak or unlocked? Thanks Annie! (anywhere near Wooster?)

Thanks

The 4S is not able to be jailbroken at this time. The iPhone 4 can be, but you won't be able to unlock if you buy it new and it comes with iOS 5. The only way to unlock it is if it has a lower baseband, 4.10.xx I believe. It is tethered jb on 5.0.1 down to 4.3.4, so in order to get an untethered jb it has to be on 4.3.3 or lower. But the baseband needs to be 4.10.xx or below, so if someone upgraded to iOS 5 then downgraded to 4.x, it's no good for unlocking.

It wouldn't hurt to try and upgrade your 3GS if you don't mind a tethered jb.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (11-26-2011)

Thanks
    That's great info Annie. I see one that's Jailbroken for iOS 5.01. Is THAT acceptable for Tmo?

So I'll search for a 4.10 -4.3.3. Of course, my wish would be for something that had been jailbroken already for Tmo.

Again, could you clarify the diff between jailbroken and unlocked? I always thought that jailbroken meant it would work with any carrier, but apparently I'm wrong.

Thanks.
    Last edited by phineasboggs; 11-26-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks
    Just bought on eBay and will be back to you when I receive it. PHEW. Now I have to send the fershtunken POS Galaxy back.

Thanks

Thanks. Thats helpful! I'm thinking of getting a 4 and there's so many available pretty cheap. Now I know why.
    Last edited by Miz.Michele; 11-26-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Miz.Michele, it wasn't cheap, but it seems to have been the correct edition, so I think I can upgrade PRN. I just had to stop the hyperfocus and OCD behavior <bseg>. I wasted several days on this, and I had to make a decision and get on with my life! And now, I canNOT look at eBay again because I'll see better deals.

If it works well with T-Mobile, then I'll have to see what advantages upgrading to what is it, 5? or 5.01? that is untethered? If it gives me all the advantages of a 4S (whatever they are) I guess I will. Good luck to you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

you may need to get a gevey sim to make it work on tmobile. I just got a iphone 4 on ios 4.3.3 bb 4.10.01 and had to get a gevey ultra