+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beware of data charges!!!

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So my wife has had an iPhone on T-Mobile for several years. She's a casual user so she's never wanted a data plan. I noticed that my last bill was
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Beware of data charges!!!
    So my wife has had an iPhone on T-Mobile for several years. She's a casual user so she's never wanted a data plan. I noticed that my last bill was about $17 higher than normal. She was getting charged for data!! She never got anything that asked her if she agreed to this and of course we didn't know about it. I guess it's some pay for what you use BS. I looked at the data usage and it's a ton of instances that use a tiny amount of data so it's the phone checking email or some app doing it in the background.

I called T-Mobile and they refused to credit the charges. I asked for the "manager" and he wouldn't either. I've been with them for over 5 years and am not on contract and they don't seem to care to lose me as a customer. I've left a message with their "Executive Support Line" to see if they'll do anything. If nothing there I'll go to the BBB.

Check your bills guys if you don't have a data plan and use the iPhone on T-Mobile!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

The plan I'm looking at is unlimited talk text and 2GBof high speed data. The sales lady said if I run over the speed will slow but you arent charged for over use. Currently 69.99 Is this the type of plan you are on or do you not have data on your plan and being charged as you use?

Thanks

I thought I implied that she doesn't have a data plan. She does NOT have a data plan on her line. They decided to implement this pay as you go data plan and activated it for everyone.

Thanks

I have a data plan but mainly use wifi. Ive noticed data being used as well. Does your wife have a 3GS? If she does, she can turn off data and wifi surfing will still work She can also turn off location services and auto polling of email.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miz.Michele View Post
    I have a data plan but mainly use wifi. Ive noticed data being used as well. Does your wife have a 3GS? If she does, she can turn off data and wifi surfing will still work She can also turn off location services and auto polling of email.
    It's a 3GS. I've turned that off now and have data blocked with T-Mobile. Doesn't help me after the fact though. Bottom line is, I don't subscribe to a data plan. I shouldn't have to pay for any incidental data because they shouldn't give me data. If they want to do this Pay Per Use **** I should have to opt in.

Thanks

I agree. I have 4 lines with tmo. One is my brothers dumb-phone. He has unlimited talk and text for $30 and does not use data at all but each day a small amt is used. I called to complain and they tried to sell me me a $5 data plan which i declined. Theres no way to block data on his phone. So far i haven't been charged. At least your issue is fixed now. I think tmo has started to add the 1.99 pay per use to everyones acct if they don't have a data plan.

Tmobile said they could not block data use... Did they block it for you or did you just turn off data?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i noticed this too.
    now t mobile has 49.99 for data text and ,minutes but its pre paid.not a bad deal no tax or any other charges,

EVO
    Thanks

dude, I feel the same way.

I just noticed it today, I had a couple MB in data usage. I had Cellular Data turned on. I turned off my WI-FI with Cellular Data on and I was able to access the Internet. That never happened before. My iphone would have never been able to connect if I was not on Wi-Fi before this. This is BS..

Thanks

I guess TMO is going to force data now. I relented and added the $5 data to my brothers dumb phone line just not to deal with it. His line is now unlimited talk, text and 200mb of data for $30 so I can't bit$& too much for 4 lines for $145 but it is irritating.

Thanks

it happen to me too. I have 4 line in my plane.one with data and other 3 don't have data plane.no w they charging my other 3 line with data used but all those line cannot connect to internet at all without WiFi but i have cellular data turn ON.

Thanks

That it'd. What kind of phones?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yup, same thing started happening to my Wife, she's using a rooted G1 that I had picked up from a friend for helping him move & suddenly she started pulling data on 3G which she never did before... They turned off the "no subscription, no data" feature, if you have a data capable smartfone, you better have a data plan, it's kinda pointless to have a smartfone in this day & age w/ no data anyway... We signed her up for the 2 gig plan..

Thanks

Dad got charged as well. Told me he used Shazam to identify a song on the road, found out that it worked without a WiFi connection. Check his APN, his cellular data w/roaming was on. They automatically switched him and charged him data per MB. Complete bull. Received new statement that very day, minutes after the discussion. Called T-Mobile, he demanded they remove the charges. They tried to sell him on a plan. Like 200+MB for like 10 bucks or something.

He also has a 3GS. Shoddy jackholes. I have a prepaid plan and I raped their cell towers when I found out I can get free internet several years ago. My way of saying "f**k T-Mobile."

Btw, they DID remove the charges after complaining.

Thanks

I put the $5 200mb data plan on a dumb phone because the phone does not have wifi yet it keeps sending out data.

I don't agree with what TMO is doing. Sounds like they are prepping for the merger.

Green Apple
    Thanks

TMobile will data block your line if you request CS to do so.
    There is going to be no merger with ATT; perhaps someone else in the future.
    I think Apple should buy TMobile; then it will have a mobile infrastructure S. Jobs was thinking about (and all us TMO subscribers w/iphones can stop screwing around.

Thanks

@rmsmillertime. Do you have TMO service?

Green Apple
    Thanks

yes

Thanks

Shoot. When I called they said if I did not add on a data plan, then pay as you go data is auto added and you are only charged if you use it. I asked for a data block and they said they could not add a block.

I recently switched to their value plan off of loyalty plan.

I figured they changed their model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miz.Michele View Post
    Shoot. When I called they said if I did not add on a data plan, then pay as you go data is auto added and you are only charged if you use it. I asked for a data block and they said they could not add a block.

I recently switched to their value plan off of loyalty plan.

I figured they changed their model.
    You got played. You were too blunt when you asked for a block. You should have asked them to "prevent this from happening again" or something along those lines. Don't speak as if you know what's going on. Speak as an ignorant customer who uses WiFi at home, nothing else.

Well, it's probably too late now. They make note of everything that happens during a customer service call, so it's all on record. Hopefully, the next time you call, you'll get someone that's new or lenient.

Quote Originally Posted by rmsmillertime View Post
    TMobile will data block your line if you request CS to do so.
    There is going to be no merger with ATT; perhaps someone else in the future.
    I think Apple should buy TMobile; then it will have a mobile infrastructure S. Jobs was thinking about (and all us TMO subscribers w/iphones can stop screwing around.
    Correct. AT&T pulled out of the FCC review and is in the talks of splitting T-Mo (along with the band spectrum) with some weak telecommunications company to please the damn government about not turning into a monopoly or something.

We both know that Apple would never buy T-Mo because it requires completely individual handsets for 4G support. Also, FCC would say that Apple is trying too hard to monopolize. And not to mention, T-Mo would only be purchased in the United States. Apple is an international company. Not much money is to be made from a national telecommunications service when it requires an entirely new handset. It would cost them more money in the long run. Their mentality is probably "let them do what they do best, while we try to exceed at it." Apple will keep pushing the boundary, but not to the point where nobody can support their products anymore. Think about universality. T-Mobile didn't think about it ahead of time, and look at the position they're in now.
    Last edited by MrWHOx; 11-28-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its called anti-trust and when an industry becomes too concentrated, mergers can be deemed anti-competitive. Look up The Herfindahl index. It is what is used by the Justice Department to evaluate m & a 's.

As for Apple buying TMO, not so absurd. Iphones (verizon) are pretty much world phones already. Adding frequency to a phone is alot cheaper than adding towers. I wouldn't call ATT the best Iphone user experience, so maybe if there were an Apple owned carrier, the others would "step-up" and provide a better experience