Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will the iphone 4s support T-mobile's 3g spectrum?

Default Will the iphone 4s support T-mobile's 3g spectrum?
    Just wondering if, even though it wasn't announced we can buy an unlocked i4s and actually get 3g speeds. I can't seem to find this bit of technical info anywhere.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to damoek For This Useful Post:

foolish813 (10-18-2011)

i have the same question. i was about to open a new thread until i saw your post. hhehe thx

if anyone knows pls inform us.

man, I hate it when I find the answer i'm not looking for.... Looks like the answer is NO. From the spec sheet notice the lack of 1700Mhz spectrum under edge.

World phone
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)4
    802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
    Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

This is the grey area I do not understand... The Verizon iPhone 4 had the Gobi chipset which supported both CDMA and GSM bands, but that phone lacked a sim card slot so it could not be used as a "world phone."

That Gobi chip in the iPhone 4 for Verizon does support the 1700 mHz band. From what I read, the iPhone 4S has the same chipset. So do you think that Apple is enabling a software restriction to keep the phone from using the 1700 mHz band, thus not listing on the tech spec website ?

I pray that is the case. But is it worth forking out the cash on day one to get one just to sit on it until the jailbreak? Its like Clint Eastwood... Do you feel lucky punk, well, do ya?

all of the iPhones sold at the apple stores are factory unlocked now... Just like the iPhone 4 has been for several months

Im not familar with all this tech lingo, but I understand that the 4s doesnt have the 1700 mhz to run on tmboibles 3g network. Is it possible tho that it can run on tmobiles 4g network since its HSPA as well as AT&T? im not sure what frequencies are needed for this, but is it a possibilty 3g wont work but 4g will?
    And is it possible apple lied about the spec sheet and the phone does support 1700mhz and they did this to make us tmobile users to jump ship?
    lol sorry if all of this is wishful thinking. i like my cheap plan with tmobile, but I love my iphone and would love quicker speeds. *sigh*

That, my friend is a good question
    T-Mo lists the frequency at 1700/2100 for HSPA+
    1700 MHz/2100 MHz UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPA 4G (formerly 3G[31]) 2006 2008 (3G), 2010 (Marketed as 4G) First carrier in the U.S. to deploy services on AWS frequencies. Markets HSPA+ as "4G". UMTS band IV

and the iphone has 2100 listed in its supported spectrum. Does anyone who understands the tech a little better know if this will work? Can 4g work without the 3g spectrum?

again, it looks like the answer is no From Cnet
    Even though T-Mobile, which is a GSM carrier like AT&T and also supports HSPA+, its customers will still not be able to take advantage of the HSPA+ speed boost from the iPhone 4S. And the reason is simple. AT&T is using the same spectrum bands it used for its traditional 3G service to deploy the HSPA+ service. And T-Mobile is using different bands for its HSPA+ service.

Read more: What the iPhone 4S means for the carriers | Apple - CNET News
    Last edited by damoek; 10-05-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Just because a baseband supports a certain frequency doesn't mean that a phone manufacturer will include said frequency.

The supported frequencies in wireless devices are handled by the baseband but the individual frequency sets are controlled by PAMs (Power Amplifier Modules).

The iPhone 3G and 3GS both had that same three (3) PAMs. One for each band: 850MHz (Band V; interestingly enough, Band V PAMs cover Band VI (800MHz) as well), 1900MHz (Band II), and 2100MHz (Band I). All three PAMs were made by Triquint.

Three chips in a row at the bottom of the board. 3GS left, 3G right:

The iPhone 4 and presumably (based on Apple's specs) the 4S have four (4) PAMs. Again, one for each band: 850MHz (Band V and Band VI (800MHz)), 900MHz (Band VIII), 1900MHz (Band II), and 2100MHz (Band I). Two are made by Triquint and the other two are made by Skyworks.

Four chips in a row in the lower left hand corner:

If Apple was so concerned about space, they could have easily used the single chip Skyworks SKY77602 (Bands I, II, IV, V (which also covers VI), and VIII - datasheet) or the single chip Triquint TQM7M9070 (Bands I, II, III, IV, V, VI (listed in the datasheet), VIII, IX, and X - datasheet)

Remember that we need Band IV.

It could be that Apple is not currently listing all of the specs of the phone. As we all know, they don't list RAM nor do they list Band VI (800MHz), even though Japanese users have run iPhones using NTT Docomo's FOMA UMTS service which exclusively uses UMTS Band VI (800MHz).

So only a teardown will reveal if we have a chance, and even then, if it's a single chip solution, it may require some programming for the frequency switching nature of the two PAMs in question.

Quote Originally Posted by damoek View Post
    man, I hate it when I find the answer i'm not looking for.... Looks like the answer is NO. From the spec sheet notice the lack of 1700Mhz spectrum under edge.

World phone
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)4
    802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
    Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
    No. GSM, GPRS, and EDGE are one technology while W-CDMA, UMTS, and HSPA are another. That is why, as long as the phone supports 3G and you have a 3G connection, you can talk and surf on the internet at the same time. Voice would travel over GSM/GPRS/EDGE while the data would travel over W-CDMA/UMTS/HSPA.

So, you would need to look for 1700MHz under the W-CDMA/UMTS/HSPA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+ column, not the GSM/GPRS/EDGE one. If the iPhone supported 1700MHz under GSM/GPRS/EDGE, we still wouldn't get 3G/"4G" speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by damoek View Post
    That, my friend is a good question
    T-Mo lists the frequency at 1700/2100 for HSPA+
    1700 MHz/2100 MHz UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPA 4G (formerly 3G[31]) 2006 2008 (3G), 2010 (Marketed as 4G) First carrier in the U.S. to deploy services on AWS frequencies. Markets HSPA+ as "4G". UMTS band IV

and the iphone has 2100 listed in its supported spectrum. Does anyone who understands the tech a little better know if this will work? Can 4g work without the 3g spectrum?

again, it looks like the answer is no From Cnet
    Even though T-Mobile, which is a GSM carrier like AT&T and also supports HSPA+, its customers will still not be able to take advantage of the HSPA+ speed boost from the iPhone 4S. And the reason is simple. AT&T is using the same spectrum bands it used for its traditional 3G service to deploy the HSPA+ service. And T-Mobile is using different bands for its HSPA+ service.

Read more: What the iPhone 4S means for the carriers | Apple - CNET News
    Same technology, different frequencies.

2100MHz is Band I. Uplink frequency range of 1920–1980 and downlink frequency range of 2110–2170.

1700MHz is Band IV. Uplink frequency range of 1710–1755 and downlink frequency range of 2110–2155.

So, we're covered in the downlink but not the uplink. Spoiler: you need both to successfully transmit data. This is why the baseband tends to crash when "Enable 3G" is set to "ON" on the 3G/3GS/4.

EDIT: As far as 14.4 Mbps HSDPA: Did anyone else smell the stench of AT&T when that was announced? Out of all of the HSPA+ carriers out there, how many went with 14.4 Mbps? From what I could tell, most went from HSDPA/HSUPA straight to 21 Mbps HSPA+, not 14.4 HSDPA like AT&T.

In fact, from the documents released about the merger, AT&T felt it necessary to step up their game due to T-Mobile pushing out 7.2 Mbps HSDPA/HSUPA ("U" for uplink increase) and then eventually moving to 21 Mbps HSPA+. We all know AT&T would have easily sat on 3.6 Mbps HSPA until their LTE rollout. Yet they clearly said that T-Mobile USA wasn't a threat and that they only need them for the spectrum.

This is why the merger should never go through.
    Last edited by Lecram25; 10-05-2011 at 02:04 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lecram25 For This Useful Post:

cervelorod (10-06-2011), chessyang (10-14-2011), damoek (10-05-2011), DaveHavok (10-06-2011)

That was the most comprehensive answer ever. Thank you good sir.

So what's the word?!!? Will the unlocked iphone 4s work on Tmobile's 3G network?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    So what's the word?!!? ks
    no
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

This has me on the borderline. Should I upgrade to a f--- Droid for 4G speed? I feel like a sell out, but... the phone is free. Honestly, there has gotta be a way, especially with the iphone already working for ATT

IMO want the "coolness" then get the iPhone.

If you want Faster Internet, easyer music, podcast, google docs, mail, (sorry not sure) SD card storage, free built in turn by turn, swipe (sorry again) then Android!

Again IMO. So what ever makes you happy at the end of the day trumps my option.