Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs 4.3.3 No data Plan.. MMS?

Default Iphone 3gs 4.3.3 No data Plan.. MMS?
    Hey hows it going.. just had some questions bout MMS issues
    I'm running a 4.3.3 unlocked iphone 3gs with 6.15.00
    I dont have a data plan..

I've tried most everything ppl have said on these forums

It let me send messages when I enabled cellular data.. but will I get charged when I have that on if i dont have a data plan??

Cellular Data
    APN: internet2.voicestream.com
    Username: (leave empty)
    Password: (leave empty)
    MMS
    APN: internet2.voicestream.com (or whatever you have; epc.tmobile.com or wap.voicestream.com. Just MAKE SURE itís the same APN as the one you have on top under Cellular Data)
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

That's what I used when it let me SEND messages, I still couldnt recieve messages though? When I typed that info in and didnt have cellular data on, I would get the red exclamation mark.

So I just wanna know If i keep cellular data on will I be charged, and if so is there a way to send/recieve MMS' without having cellular data on and if so, does anyone have the directions to do so.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm no expert on MMS, but I can answer one of your questions. If you don't have a data plan, the iPhone *under most circumstances* will error out telling you there is no cellular network to connect to so it can't use any data without a plan. So plainly put, you won't get charged for having an APN entered, although without a data plan you wouldn't need any APN's except for MMS.

Oh but if you want, try for your MMS APN instead of internet2 to use wap.voicestream.com bc that's what I used to use for MMS when I was on T-Mo and it worked find to send and receive. It doesn't need to match the data APN.

Thanks for the information

I actually got it to work using that same configuration and turning on my cellular data

And i found a code from another thread that i had to put into iFile which let me recieve pictures too

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well as long as you figured it out

Hello. I have an iPhone 3GS on 5.1.1 with 05.13.04 baseband on T-Mobile with no data plan (cellular data currently disabled) and I would like to know if there is any way for me to send and receive picture messages (MMS) without getting charged. Thanks.