+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Am I missing something with 4.0

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So I've got a iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 and everything works great with the exception that if I turn on my WiFi I can no longer send or receive picture
    iPhone? More like MyPhone 40ozBulldog's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Am I missing something with 4.0
    So I've got a iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 and everything works great with the exception that if I turn on my WiFi I can no longer send or receive picture messages and sometimes my signal goes to no service, no idea why this is but as soon as I turn it off its fixed. Anyway, I see all these themes and apps that require 4.0 OS to run and I REALLY want to upgrade to the most recent OS just to stay on top of the app/theme world. Is there a way to upgrade me from the 3.1.3 to 4.0 or better and stay unlocked for T-mobile? I have done reading and I'm getting mixed signals so I just want a straight answer and thread/youtube video that will show me step by step. Kinda a noob Thanks everyone

Thanks

There is tiny umbrella let's u update and preserve your baseband and other tools as well....just make sure which ever route you take , don't update ur baseband
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    There is tiny umbrella let's u update and preserve your baseband and other tools as well....just make sure which ever route you take , don't update ur baseband

Good to know. Have a link on the right update for me?

iPhone? More like MyPhone louee6's Avatar
    Thanks

My Suggestion Dude, I would stay on 3.1.3. I have a 3Gs and regret every bit of upgrading to this 4.0 crap!! Here it is you think you upgrading to always get something better, well that aint always the case!! MAJOR ISSUE with 4.0 is BATTERY DRAIN!! You will have to turn off notifications, wifi, location services, brightness down, just to make it thru the day with a charged phone. 4.0 for me at least has been the worst upgrade i've done!!
    Behind every successful man is a surprised woman

5. The Following User Says Thank You to louee6 For This Useful Post:

40ozBulldog (10-10-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 40ozBulldog View Post
    Good to know. Have a link on the right update for me?
    If you're considering updating to iOS4, then update to 4.1 as 4.0.x is really slow on the 3G. 4.1 fixes a couple of the speed issues and makes it almost as zippy as 3.1.3.

If you're on a Windows computer, use sn0wbreeze to create a custom 4.1 firmware (make sure upgrade baseband option is not selected). Shift + restore to it.

If you're on a Mac, you'll have to inject 4.1 into pwnagetool so that it will accept that firmware version. Then create custom 4.1 firmware (again, no baseband upgrade). Shift + restore to it. If you are using the Mac method with pwnagetool, for optimum speed, disable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper in the settings of creating the firmware; this will make it much more quick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

40ozBulldog (10-10-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    If you're considering updating to iOS4, then update to 4.1 as 4.0.x is really slow on the 3G. 4.1 fixes a couple of the speed issues and makes it almost as zippy as 3.1.3.

If you're on a Windows computer, use sn0wbreeze to create a custom 4.1 firmware (make sure upgrade baseband option is not selected). Shift + restore to it.

If you're on a Mac, you'll have to inject 4.1 into pwnagetool so that it will accept that firmware version. Then create custom 4.1 firmware (again, no baseband upgrade). Shift + restore to it. If you are using the Mac method with pwnagetool, for optimum speed, disable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper in the settings of creating the firmware; this will make it much more quick.
    Okay so 4.1 it is then. Thanks for the heads up to the guy posting about 4.0 being slow. Also, I have seen a youtube video about the 4.1 update you will have to excuse me because im REALLY uneducated about this stuff and im only as smart as you guys make me with posts.

I have T-mobile and would like to upgrade. I heard that there is no unlock on this new jailbreak that just came out. If my phone is upgraded will it lock it again? I cant have that obviously Also, I have no idea how to make my own custom firmware. Any help would be awesome I'm learning as I go

Thanks

Okay so 4.1 it is then. Thanks for the heads up to the guy posting about 4.0 being slow. Also, I have seen a youtube video about the 4.1 update you will have to excuse me because im REALLY uneducated about this stuff and im only as smart as you guys make me with posts.

I have T-mobile and would like to upgrade. I heard that there is no unlock on this new jailbreak that just came out. If my phone is upgraded will it lock it again? I cant have that obviously Also, I have no idea how to make my own custom firmware. Any help would be awesome I'm learning as I go
    If you restore to custom firmware with sn0wbreeze, then it will not upgrade your baseband (just make sure that the upgrade baseband option is not selected).

1) Download iPhone 3G 4.1 software here:
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

2) Jailbreak iOS 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

3) Unlock with ultrasn0w

Just follow the guide. Sn0wbreeze download should be within the guide also.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

40ozBulldog (10-11-2010)

Thanks

If you restore to custom firmware with sn0wbreeze, then it will not upgrade your baseband (just make sure that the upgrade baseband option is not selected).

1) Download iPhone 3G 4.1 software here:
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

2) Jailbreak iOS 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

3) Unlock with ultrasn0w

Just follow the guide. Sn0wbreeze download should be within the guide also.
    Okay so this file doesn't have an updated baseband in it and as long as I make sure its not checked I'm good? Thanks for the help man, good to see there are people here willing to do some legwork for the "dumb" guys lol! Thanks again

Oh and what version of itunes do I need? Also, it still says Warning: If you rely on an unlock, DO NOT update to iOS 4.1. This is because of the baseband I'm assuming. So as long as I don't click that box I'm good correct. Sorry, just want to be clear because a locked iPhone does nothing for me

Also, last thing, which V of sn0wbreeze do I use? It says something about 1.8 that got me wondering a bit if I can use this version as I'm not on 4.0 yet. Here is what it said when I was looking for it to download.

"Sn0wbreeze 1.8 Beta successfully jailbreaks the iOS 4.1 firmware. It currently supports iPod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS. The updated version of Sn0wbreeze can only be used on previously jailbroken iOS 4.0 based iDevices."

Trying to make this as difficult as possible lol
    Last edited by 40ozBulldog; 10-11-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Okay so this file doesn't have an updated baseband in it and as long as I make sure its not checked I'm good? Thanks for the help man, good to see there are people here willing to do some legwork for the "dumb" guys lol!
    No worries.. in many subjects, I'm among you guys.

Are you jailbroken off of redsn0w?

And yeah, 1.8 should work because you're just using it to create your custom firmware, not actually jailbreak your 3.1.3. You'll switch to 4.1 when you do a shift + restore in iTunes. I use pwnage tool (the Mac equivalent) so I'm not entirely sure how similar its interface & sn0wbreeze are smiliar, but yes, just make sure that the baseband update option is not checked.

Thanks

No worries.. in many subjects, I'm among you guys.

Are you jailbroken off of redsn0w?

And yeah, 1.8 should work because you're just using it to create your custom firmware, not actually jailbreak your 3.1.3. You'll switch to 4.1 when you do a shift + restore in iTunes. I use pwnage tool (the Mac equivalent) so I'm not entirely sure how similar its interface & sn0wbreeze are smiliar, but yes, just make sure that the baseband update option is not checked.
    Well I used sn0wbreeze 2.0 to create it and there was no option to update the baseband. Thanks for the info I'll post when I'm done. I jailbroke of Spirit I believe.

Well... Sh*t... I tried to shift restore using the Sn0breeze 4.1 created and now the phone is stuck in the screen asking to plug to iTunes and an unknown error popped up saying unable to restore because of an unknown error.

What now....
    Last edited by 40ozBulldog; 10-11-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost