Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile charging for WiFi use??

Exclamation T-Mobile charging for WiFi use??
    Ok, this sounds weird, but I hear it from the person itself. A customer of T-Mobile has been forced to hire the service data plan because according to t-mobile he was using too many megabytes when downloading from WiFi.
    The guys is actually paying the $20 rate fee. But this sound totally strange. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Anyone has hear anything similar?

Thanks

That is really strange, I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe the guy thought he was using wifi on his iPhone when instead for some reason he was using EDGE?

Without a data plan, it costs $2/MB. I don't think T-Mobile would complain and say he was using too much data when they're making money off of him. I'm pretty sure there's no cap on $2/MB as long as they still are charging you.

I use Comcast for Internet and that'd be ridiculous for them to force me on a data plan for using my separate wifi.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

If they charged him then he wasn't on wifi, maybe he lost the signal and the iPhone didn't reconnect
    When the iPhone is on wifi it's pritty much an iTouch but with call capability, you have never heard of someone getting charged when there on an iTouch using wifi and there's probably more iTouches out there

Most people pay a separate bill for wifi at home, no matter how much you use it that company won't charge you more

Call them on the phone, Generally if your nice to them and say the price is unacceptable can I talk to a manager the manager will help you out for better Customer Service Ratings, no they probably won't do this more then one and they might only knock $50 off but it's worth the call right?

I know, it is totally inadmissible. Maybe he was using EDGE, but, don't you have to hire the service prior to use it??...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    If they charged him then he wasn't on wifi, maybe he lost the signal and the iPhone didn't reconnect
    Totally agree with.

Hi, I created this post a year ago. And now it just happened to me. A $50 fee was added to my bill for data use. WTF??? I only use my phone on WIFI at my home network and maybe in a McDonald or some place like that where they offer free WiFi. In addition my phone never work/connect if there is no a WiFi icon and connected... !!!!!!!! I'm really pissed off with f* T-Mobile !!!

LOL I didn't notice how old this post was. Here's the thing, if you want to NOT be charged for data fees, TURN OFF CELLULAR DATA. They have a right to charge you since you're using a device that is not covered by them. They don't offer (legal) support for the iPhone, and thus, any charges incurred due to your device's settings being incorrect would be a fault on your part. They can turn you down. Also, the iPhone has a habit of scanning for push notifications when your phone is on standby mode. iPhones do not connect to WiFi on standby. They use cellular data or no data at all (assuming that you have nothing running in the background).

However, I've had this happen too. Just call customer service, talk to them (calmly), and explain to them that you use WiFi at home and that's all. They should remove the charges. Also express that you'd like to have future data charges BLOCKED from your services. They'll probably empathize with you and be all like, "oh, so this person didn't do it on purpose."

There you go.

Hi MrWHOx, didn't see your reply 'till now, but you're right. That's what I actually did. I spoke to a representative and explained the situation. I had the refund and turn the option off. What really pissed me off is how this companies abuse the consumer by not letting you know about this things and then take advantage. As I said, some guy was "obligated" to add the data plan to his monthly bill... Now, knowing I have the feature turned off is a peace of mind.

Thanks
    Default T-Mobile changed policy. Only sent "alert message"
    T-mobile said they changed their policy recently and started automatically charging for cellular data if you don't have that service enabled, but attempt to use it.

I have 2 children who have smart phones and no data plans, intentionally (finances/content restricion). My wife and I have $10 web plans. Last month my bill was $100 more than normal. Apparently, they sent "text alerts" to my children (not the primary account holder, me) that the policy had changed.

When I called they took care of the $100 and put a block on cellular data usage for my kids' phones. I was grateful they helped out, but I wonder how many have just paid and not called.

my wife was also charged the 50 dollars on her last bill. she called customer service and they refunded the money. I really do not see how they can charge you for wifi usage if you do not have a paid internet service. the customer support person suggested that mabey she moved out of range of the wifi and tmobile continued to allow usage of the internet through their system. the phone contract is in her name and she handled it and tmobile also refunded the money but they have taken some kind of opition of bill you now and ask for forgiveness later type of stance. there is no way they can charge you for usage of the internet if you do not have their internet service. I guess anyone who has the old 5.99 data plan and has supported the work around to get free internet service is going to get a huge suprise in the mail. I should also note that tmobile knowes that we have two iphone even though we have never told them.

of course they can charge you for using internet on a smart phone if you haven't activated internet. It's most likely because the iPhone switches off wifi when its in standby to save battery, but will still be connected to the cellular data to check email's / notifications. As others have noted, just turn off cellular data and you'll be fine, you can't blame t-mobile for something like this, they are just doing their job.

Also (knock on wood) i still have the 5.99 plan on a majority of the lines on my account, still running strong with everyone on an iPhone 4 or 4s
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Please check your T Mobile bill. I noticed my bill going up for no reason. Once I looked closely I found a $1.99 web & data usage charge. I DO NOT have web and data service. On my conversation with customer service she said users with smart phones are accidentally getting charged this. They said they would credit my bill for the $1.99 but I would be responsible for future charges of this kind. Their fix?! (*^ they would remove web capability FREE OF CHARGE.
    WOW !thankyou T Mobile. ( of course that means I can no longer use a wi-fi connect at home or anywhere else. CHECK YOUR BILLS FOLKS THEY ARE HOPING THESE CHARGES SLIP UNDER THE RADAR

Just an fyi... I rarely use my iPhone outside of wifi coverage, work, home, school etc. But I recently did renew my contract w/ tmo for something silly like unlimited, text, data, and 500 some odd minutes for less than 60 bucks. With my old plan, limited texting, 500 min, no data costed more than this new contract. Just figured maybe this bit of math would help out someone.

Quote Originally Posted by grayman1 View Post
    Please check your T Mobile bill. I noticed my bill going up for no reason. Once I looked closely I found a $1.99 web & data usage charge. I DO NOT have web and data service. On my conversation with customer service she said users with smart phones are accidentally getting charged this. They said they would credit my bill for the $1.99 but I would be responsible for future charges of this kind. Their fix?! (*^ they would remove web capability FREE OF CHARGE.
    WOW !thankyou T Mobile. ( of course that means I can no longer use a wi-fi connect at home or anywhere else. CHECK YOUR BILLS FOLKS THEY ARE HOPING THESE CHARGES SLIP UNDER THE RADAR
    this happened to me to, its not your WI-FI that is the problem, it is the WI-FI connection interferring with T-Mobile's Tower for data accessing.

As long as you turn off "Data Roaming" you can still use your WI-FI, but if you have "Data Roaming" on, you're basically using T-Mobile's connection to access the web even if you are connected to a WI-FI......fair isnt it??

they recently started implementing that, and do not even inform their customers of it, until they are charged.

I got so pissed I switched over to AT&t.........iphone 4s had a lil to do with it

Ive been monitoring it for sometime, typically stays the same - I only go over board on minutes sometimes, the customer support is hit or miss (usually in favor of it) both tech support and billing

I am just able to get back to this thread. As some have suggested, turnig off cellular date should take care of this. however someone else noted that turning off data roaming would also solve the problem. i am not sure about that one. I would think that only cellular date would only be nessary since that would turn off edge. can anyone weigh in on this?
    thanks for the advice everyone.

my wife and i talked to tm yesterday and the end result is, you have to have tm disable data on your plain. you would think that this would already be the case but you have to request to have the data disabled even if you do not pay for internet service, other wise they are just going to charge you even if you do not have internet coverage. this all started just in the last couple of weeks for us and my wife and i have had iphones for over three years now.

Quote Originally Posted by lm921 View Post
    my wife and i talked to tm yesterday and the end result is, you have to have tm disable data on your plain. you would think that this would already be the case but you have to request to have the data disabled even if you do not pay for internet service, other wise they are just going to charge you even if you do not have internet coverage. this all started just in the last couple of weeks for us and my wife and i have had iphones for over three years now.
    Yes folks, That summarize the whole post. I was impressed the first time I hear about it and made no sense, since I thought, same as everyone that accessing internet with WIFI nothing has to do with T-Mobile, until it happened to me. A call to T-Mo solved the problem by DISABLING the DATA access that YOU have to request to be TURNED OFF. if not, every time you loose your WIFI signal your phone will try to connect using EDGE, and there is when they charge you.