+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g - Disable EDGE/3g/data

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an unlocked iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 on T-Mobile. I do not have a data plan (yeah, I don't need to hear about how the iPhone is a data
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3g - Disable EDGE/3g/data
    I have an unlocked iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 on T-Mobile. I do not have a data plan (yeah, I don't need to hear about how the iPhone is a data phone..) because I have wifi access where ever I go. I would like to completely disable any possible data connections (edge, 3G) so that I will not incur any additional (and expensive) data charges.

-I've installed the T-Mobile USA carrier bundle under the standard package.
    -I've turned off data & 3G through the SBSettings toggle
    -I've installed the profile from iPhonenodata.com
    -I've installed a package from Cydia called "disable data" which is supposed to always have data disabled by default
    -I've turned off the 3g option & data roaming in the settings page
    -I installed a YouTube/Push fix via Cydia

However, whenever I unlock my phone, it takes a bit for Wifi to kick in (this also especially happens when I restart my phone) so I see an E icon (for edge) next to my T-mobile signal bars. I think during this short amount of time, data is still being sent and received because I've been constantly checking the usage section of my network settings and the amount increases little by little each time.

Is there a complete, foolproof way to ENTIRELY disable ANY data connections so that my phone will NOT be able to access the internet at all without a wifi connection? Maybe it has something to do with the T-mobile carrier settings that I installed?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by dotFIVE; 09-25-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

I belive that's overkill on not using data. Just turning off data using sbsettings or downloading disable data from cydia is good enough

And 3G or Edge does not use data that just loads data faster and gives you better reception .
    Last edited by winvargh; 09-25-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yeah I took as many measures as I could possibly find to disable data. Still, there's some data managing to make it's way through. I'm wondering, how? I think it's from when I turn on my phone because after I check my usage, it increased from the last time.

I just turned off wifi and tried to access the internet and I still can. What else can I do!
    Last edited by dotFIVE; 09-25-2010 at 07:23 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you considered upgrading to iOS4 and disable cellular data:
    Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data -> Off?
    Last edited by Fan-iFon; 10-10-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Mistake on recommanded seting

Thanks

Sorry but I am waking up a dead thread D:
    @dotFIVE, wow i am in the same situation as you! It is like you read my mind and posted my question up on this forum.

Everytime I unlock my phone, I would see the E icon on my status bar, and then the WiFi symbol pops up after a few seconds. How do I keep my WiFi on at all times without it shutting down when it is locked?

Edit: I just found this: how to disable edge?
    So It is okay for me even though the EDGE icon appears. My bad.. I just disabled my wifi and tried to access a site on safari and it wouldnt load, so i guess i am safee xD Sorrrryyyy.
    Last edited by katastrophic; 08-30-2011 at 05:25 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3g - Disable EDGE/3g/data
    I have an Apple iPhone 3G 8GB, and whenever I've just synced or just after I've taken the iPhone off the Dock, this little spinning circle comes up next to the 3G logo, what does it mean?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizhacute View Post
    I have an Apple iPhone 3G 8GB, and whenever I've just synced or just after I've taken the iPhone off the Dock, this little spinning circle comes up next to the 3G logo, what does it mean?
    That can mean a lot of things. When accessing any app that uses a network connection, that spinny circle will appear. If you are using any offline apps that get data from a specific place, it will appear. It means that data is being transferred.

Thanks

I checked my Cellular Network Data and i see 6.5KB in Sent and 0.2KB Received.
    Am I going to be charged in my T-mobile bills! O:< OHH NOOOESSS.

I downloaded the thing in iphonenodata.com
    and disabled edge through SBSettings.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Goddamn, sorry for gravedigging, but I have this problem too. :/

What do?