Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 4 T-Mobile Users Beware of International Text Charges from Facetime!

  1. #1
    Exclamation iPhone 4 T-Mobile Users Beware of International Text Charges from Facetime!
    iPhone 4 users for T-Mobile beware!

    For anyone who just unlocked their iPhone 4 to use with T-Mobile, I would check out your recent account activity. Apparently Facetime triggers an international text to this number 447786205094 in the UK which cost money even on an unlimited messaging plan.

    I'm not sure how this text is triggered but I turned off Facetime for now.

    I hope I can get T-Mobile to waive these charges

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to roflc0pter For This Useful Post:

    Chityuulay (08-05-2010)

  3. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SHAOLYNN
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    dang, how much did it charge if u dont mind me asking? and how come nobody else has said anything

  4. #3
    I can confirm:


    ****...hopefully this will only add up to a few dollars more

  5. #4
    You think you got it bad...


  6. #5
    Confirming this as well. People should know this! I don't know why it's not mentioned on a larger scale on here, or other forums. Whenever you receive the "Your carrier may charge for video calls" or whatever it is, that's the international text charge. It's about 15 cents per international text. Luckily, I only had about 5. Turn off FaceTime if you're on T-Mobile, people. Otherwise every time you resrping or reboot, you're paying for that text. Wait for a solution and stop being hard headed about it.

    EDIT: Math. roflc0pters charges come out to it being $.20 per text.
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 08-05-2010 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #6
    Damn It's a good thing I deactivated mine..I got that video call message like 3 or 4 times then I disabled it. Does this mean that AT&T allows free international texting? Or only to that number? Or maybe it's trying to contact tmobile uk?? because they support FaceTime and sell iPhones.
    Just because it uses wifi doesn't mean it's available to anyone, it still uses ur phone number and since our phone numbers are registered with tmobile, I believe the iPhone assumes it's tmobile uk since they are the ones who sell iPhones

  8. #7
    How did u get you sim card to fit the iphone4

  9. #8
    How are you guys getting facetime to even work w/ t-mobile US?


    I dont even see the facetime button on my contacts screen.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Does this mean that AT&T allows free international texting? Or only to that number?
    No AT&T has its own gateway # to use (Which is this # 28818773) so they won't have to worry about this sense its the only carrier in the USA that supports the iphone and that gateway # does not work with Tmobile US but It constantly tries to connect leaving your data connection open constantly
    Last edited by alpineflip; 08-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniorag View Post
    How did u get you sim card to fit the iphone4
    You registered just to ask this? In a thread completely unrelated to sim cards? Please search, or use google.

    Make: Online : Trim your SIM FTW

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shoe Man View Post
    How are you guys getting facetime to even work w/ t-mobile US?


    I dont even see the facetime button on my contacts screen.
    The option is in settings -> Phone -> FaceTime. It will most likely say "Waiting for Activation". Once you flip it to "On", you'll incur one of the UK text message charges. Turns out I had 18, not 4. Weak. Oh, and even after turning it on, you won't get the button on your contacts screen. It will still say "Waiting for Activation..." after a pop up about your carrier charging for video chats (this is the text you get charged for).
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 08-05-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #11
    wow...JUST TURNED OFF THE facetime..

    i had 36... and total equaled $7.20

    this is ridiculous...

    at least my EDGE WORKS!!



    EDIT.......

    just tried sending MMS to myself and it went through..no error..but still havent received a txt about it yet...
    Last edited by madehtsobi; 08-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineflip View Post
    No AT&T has its own gateway # to use (Which is this # 28818773) so they won't have to worry about this sense its the only carrier in the USA that supports the iphone and that gateway # does not work with Tmobile US but It constantly tries to connect leaving your data connection open constantly
    So each iPhone career has it's own gateway right? so since tmobile does not have a gateway why does it go to UK? I know tmobile UK supports FaceTime so could that be the reason?

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    So each iPhone career has it's own gateway right? so since tmobile does not have a gateway why does it go to UK? I know tmobile UK supports FaceTime so could that be the reason?
    I have only seen 1 other gateway # and that is +447786205094 which is the UK # which I think every carrier outside of the US points to I haven't looked at every plist but I think SpookyET said every carrier uses it thats where charges may apply depending on your plan etc

  15. #14
    I noticed this right away on my US T-Mobile pre paid SIM. Every time I rebooted my iPhone 4 a message would pop up saying something about MMS rates may apply on your carrier for video calling. Not that exact message but I cant remember it. But anyways, I noticed me pre paid balance was 10cents less every time this happened. So I had to turn facetime off. Sux, hope we figure this out soon.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineflip View Post
    I have only seen 1 other gateway # and that is +447786205094 which is the UK # which I think every carrier outside of the US points to I haven't looked at every plist but I think SpookyET said every carrier uses it thats where charges may apply depending on your plan etc
    Where is this plist file located? I wanna try and change the gateway to AT&T's number and see what happens

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Where is this plist file located? I wanna try and change the gateway to AT&T's number and see what happens
    Here's some info on redirection of that number:

    [ame=http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984943]Tethering on iOS4 through Commcenter Hacking (IE Free) - Mac Forums[/ame]

    Let me know what you come up with.

  18. #17
    with facetime toggle off...my edge or mms is not working. anyone know why? or if there is another way to have facetime off and edge working?

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by msen612 View Post
    with facetime toggle off...my edge or mms is not working. anyone know why? or if there is another way to have facetime off and edge working?
    Take your sim card out and put it back in and test again

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to alpineflip For This Useful Post:

    msen612 (08-06-2010)

  21. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineflip View Post
    Take your sim card out and put it back in and test again
    nope didn't work

    edit... took out sim and i turned off and it worked. thanks! hopefully it will stay on
    Last edited by msen612; 08-06-2010 at 11:18 AM.

  22. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by msen612 View Post
    nope didn't work

    edit... took out sim and i turned off and it worked. thanks! hopefully it will stay on
    Anytime you reboot the phone you will have to do the same method until a solution comes out that is what I have been doing but I try avoiding rebooting unless I have to. I should have mentioned that before in the process of reboot first then take out and put the sim back in but at least you got it working

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •