+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone doesn't work with gophone sim card, will it work for tmobile?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an unlocked iPhone 3G that says no service when I put in my AT&T gophone sim card, I am wondering if it will work if I get a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone doesn't work with gophone sim card, will it work for tmobile?
    I have an unlocked iPhone 3G that says no service when I put in my AT&T gophone sim card, I am wondering if it will work if I get a tmobile sim card? Or is it just the phone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T has blocked iPhones from using their prepaid service for a long time now. The IMEI is probably blocked so that's why it isn't working.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No, AT&T has locked gophone sim cards so they only work with 1 phone. Get a new sim and transfer ur service, and gophone will work on ur iPhone. I know this from experience, I have gophone on my iPhone right now. Only thing is that If AT&T finds out they will cancel ur service, so don't use too much data. Better to turn off cellular data when not in use

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't get the sim card with the a gophone. I got it from the store and I walked to a store and my service went up to 4 bars buy when I'm at home it goes down to no service. I just want atleast two bars. If I switch to tmobile will I have better service or is it just the phone or something? Help please.

Thanks

its the service, AT&T must suck in your area if it works elsewhere

go ahead and check TMO coverage maps in your area...might work better

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I put a friends tmobile sim card into my phone just to see if it would work better and it said no sim installed. I know the phone is unlocked because I put ultrasn0w on it myself and if it wasn't unlocked wouldn't it have said invalid sim? What would make it say no sim installed? How can I fix this so that I can use my phone?? And my friend has a 3G iPhone with AT&T and her reception is always good, so it couldn't be AT&T right? But she is using the actual iPhone plan and not hacking it

Thanks

I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 4.0 jailbroken & unlocked on T-Mobile USA. My 3GS has a defective camera and is still under warranty until Dec 2010. My camera has 5 dark spots the size of a small finger print (they are not on the lens), so it is definately unacceptable.

Question: Which is better calling 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466) or visiting the local Apple Store. I read comments from one individual that claimed he called Apple Support and they sent out a replacement after determining his 3GS was defective. Doesn't Apple require you to go to their store and activate your replacement before they let you leave the store. His story sounded too easy.

All I had to do was call 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466), explain the problem, and they set up a replacement. They shipped the phone out that afternoon, and I had it the next morning around 10AM. Also, since the 3Gs is such a new model, I got a brand new iPhone instead of a refurb.
    When visiting the Apple store for a replacement, I am planning on restoring a stock 4.0.1 firmware so their is no obvious evidence that my iPhone 3GS was jailbroken. I am assuming, since I have never returned an iPhone before, that Apple's Genius bar will require me to activate my replacement before they let me walk out of the store. Correct? Since I have T-Mobile USA, what is the best way to do this?

This is what I am planning to do. Let me know if this will work?
    1. Restore Apple stock firmware
    2. Buy an AT&T Sim card from Ebay.com
    3. Go online at AT&T and activate the SIM as a GoPhone

Activation link: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/
    4. Enter the IMEI number for a phone that I am no longer using (RAZR).
    5. Complete the activation process that asks for my address, name, etc and assigns a phone number to my AT&T SIM.
    6. Place AT&T SIM into phone and shut down and reboot phone.
    7. Buy an AT&T Go refill card and GO.
    I was told that this will work, even though AT&T does not allow a GoPhone account to be used with an iPhone 3G(s).

Just so I am clear, I am not trying to cheat anyone. I have a legitimate defect in my iPhone 3GS that is still under warranty. I just want to be able to walk out of the Apple store with a replacement. If this will fail, please let me know how I can get Apple to honor my warranty when I do not have a offical carrier like AT&T to activate while in the store.
    Last edited by reddawg; 08-15-2010 at 03:43 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 4.0 jailbroken & unlocked on T-Mobile USA. My 3GS has a defective camera and is still under warranty until Dec 2010. My camera has 5 dark spots the size of a small finger print (they are not on the lens), so it is definately unacceptable.

Question: Which is better calling 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466) or visiting the local Apple Store. I read comments from one individual that claimed he called Apple Support and they sent out a replacement after determining his 3GS was defective. Doesn't Apple require you to go to their store and activate your replacement before they let you leave the store. His story sounded too easy.

When visiting the Apple store for a replacement, I am planning on restoring a stock 4.0.1 firmware so their is no obvious evidence that my iPhone 3GS was jailbroken. I am assuming, since I have never returned an iPhone before, that Apple's Genius bar will require me to activate my replacement before they let me walk out of the store. Correct? Since I have T-Mobile USA, what is the best way to do this?

This is what I am planning to do. Let me know if this will work?

I was told that this will work, even though AT&T does not allow a GoPhone account to be used with an iPhone 3G(s).

Just so I am clear, I am not trying to cheat anyone. I have a legitimate defect in my iPhone 3GS that is still under warranty. I just want to be able to walk out of the Apple store with a replacement. If this will fail, please let me know how I can get Apple to honor my warranty when I do not have a offical carrier like AT&T to activate while in the store.
    I don't see how they can deny your service. They're Apple, not AT&T. As long as you bring an activated (so they can check the camera app) iPhone on STOCK firmware to the store, they have to take a look.

If asked (though I doubt), just make up a believable excuse. a) I'm using it with another phone for now and forgot to take it with me. b) A friend borrowed my SIM for a few days. c) I broke my SIM and am waiting for replacement from AT&T.

Apple also do not require that you activate your iPhone before walking out. I was there yesterday and the lady just told me they couldn't activate my service and I would have to call AT&T. Just be firm and polite.

But anyhow, GoPhone sim cards still work. I actually used one to activate my iPhone 4. Since your phone's problem has nothing to do with activation or service, it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by itaintrite; 08-15-2010 at 05:26 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to itaintrite For This Useful Post:

reddawg (08-15-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post
    I don't see how they can deny your service. They're Apple, not AT&T. As long as you bring an activated (so they can check the camera app) iPhone on STOCK firmware to the store, they have to take a look. Just tell them your broke your SIM and are waiting for replacement from AT&T.

Apple also do not require that you activate your iPhone before walking out. I was there yesterday and the lady just told me they couldn't activate my service and I would have to call AT&T. Just be firm and polite.

But anyhow, GoPhone sim cards still work. I actually used one to activate my iPhone 4. Since your phone's problem has nothing to do with activation or service, it doesn't really matter.
    Thanks for your reply.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    No, AT&T has locked gophone sim cards so they only work with 1 phone. Get a new sim and transfer ur service, and gophone will work on ur iPhone. I know this from experience, I have gophone on my iPhone right now. Only thing is that If AT&T finds out they will cancel ur service, so don't use too much data. Better to turn off cellular data when not in use
    I tried this with my unlocked sim card after i read your post, they transferred my sim and its still not working, do you know why that could be? The phone is jailbroken/unlocked running firmware 4.2.1 and well nothing is working but i don't wanna cell my iphone because well....i want it.