Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problems Unlocking iPhone 3G iOS 4.0.1

Default Problems Unlocking iPhone 3G iOS 4.0.1
    Hey everyone,

iOS 4.0.1
    Modem: 05.13.04
    Redsn0w: 0.9.5-b5
    Ultrasn0w: 0.93

I recently bought a used iPhone 3G from Ebay which came with iOS 4.0.1 and was already unlocked. So I inserted my T-mobile sim card, and I saw my service name and one bar, and couldn't make phone calls. Then I got no service. Off-and-on I'd get one bar, and so I got frustrated. I decided to Jailbreak and Unlock myself. I restored to the original 4.0.1 firmware using iTunes and got to the sim activation screen. Then I used Redsn0w and pointed it to the iOS 4.0 firmware image, which jailbroke it just fine. Turned 3G off, data roaming on, my SIM card was in and once without and then grabbed ultrasn0w 0.93 from repo666.ultrasn0w.com. I also tried once more with my SIM card out the whole time. No beans either time. I occasionally get a bar or two, see the T-mobile carrier name occasionally, but can never make a phone call. Any tips?
    Last edited by GrayGnome; 07-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

Does your sim work fine on other phones?

I am having the same problem after using the same process with a 3G on 4.0.1 after following the guide at the top. My SIM works fine on an old ericsson that I have. Any ideas?

check my posts, same problem, no solution. it appears more and more people are statrting to get my problem now. NEW UNLOCK PELASESS.
    Common Sense.

New developments. I'm starting to get reception without doing anything new, albeit quite finicky, although in the first place I never actually tried much calling with my lacking reception. I go outside and in places I get 4 bars. Indoors I struggle to get 1 bar, and it goes in and out of service. In a car I occasionally get 1 bar. (I know it's harder to pick up reception in anything that moves). When I do get even 1 bar however my incoming/outgoing calls work perfectly as do my messages.

Yeah ozarka I read like all of your posts haha, and no solution. And yes my SIM card works 100%. Indeed, everywhere I'm trying my iPhone, my previous T-Mobile phone gave me crystal clear reception with full bars. There's something up with the unlock here I think, or it's a faulty antenna/modem maybe. Should I ask Tmobile for a more recent SIM card or something? It's been about 2 years now so...

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention that I did indeed change something. I added all of the MMS gateway information linked in a previous thread. That could have done the trick to get me this limited form of reception, though I have my doubts....
    Last edited by GrayGnome; 07-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.

interesting. I am still getting no service message.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Sounds like a faulty phone. All you can do is try a friend's SIM card or an AT&T SIM card... also try in different areas.

Really? The phone was working this morning when I was on 2.1. I don't know of any friend here that has ATT unfortunately.

Thanks

Try restoring and if that doesn't work downgrade to 3.1.3

Also make sure you're jailbreaking with redsnow b5-5
    Last edited by adp; 07-29-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I guess I will try downgrading since I've restored using itunes and JB a few times today. I have been reading about the blobs although it doesn't seem like it would affect my 3G at all. I never upgraded to 3.1.3 from 2.1 does that matter?

Thanks

You should be fine

I'm thinking that iOS 4 may be the one to blame here so I'm probably gonna downgrade to iOS 3 and jailbreak/unlock. So here's what I think the steps should be:

1. Download iOS 3 IPSW from Apple.
    2. Shift-Restore in iTunes to this iOS.
    3. Run Redsn0w. Point it to the IPSW I restored with.
    4. Grab Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

Am I right?

Thanks

Yes, but 3.1.3 jailbreaks with sn0wbreeze

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Sn0wbreeze | Redmond Pie
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

14. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

GrayGnome (07-30-2010)

I tried 4.0 with sn0wbreeze 1.7 and ultrasn0w 0.93 today and still no go. I still get spotty reception and what-not. Gonna try 3.1.3 with sn0wbreeze later today. Hopefully it's not a hardware problem.

I tried the downgrade and no change.
    Last edited by GrayGnome; 07-31-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Can you try going to 3.1.2 with blackrain/blacksnow??

Doesn't blacksn0w not work with my modem firmware? Also here's something. I don't actually get working service until the "E" logo next to T-Mobile shows up, which shows that I have an Edge data connection or something. But once E goes away, but when this goes away I can't make calls/receive texts anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGnome View Post
    Doesn't blacksn0w not work with my modem firmware? Also here's something. I don't actually get working service until the "E" logo next to T-Mobile shows up, which shows that I have an Edge data connection or something. But once E goes away, but when this goes away I can't make calls/receive texts anymore.
    If you downgrade your baseband with fuzzyband it should work. Do you get a "O" instead of the E or is it just blank?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

It's just blank.

Thanks

Ok well try downgrading your baseband and see how it goes

I've done that entire process twice now and it keeps telling me that my sim is locked. Will someone just tell me if I'm hosed or not? Is it because it only works for 4.0 not for 4.0.1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast