+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick Data Proxy Site up

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I noticed the freeiphonesidekick.co.cc site was dead now since the pay version of p1nksnow came out and thought it would be nice to keep the free in free iphone sidekick!
    Banned
    Thanks
    Default Sidekick Data Proxy Site up
    I noticed the freeiphonesidekick.co.cc site was dead now since the pay version of p1nksnow came out and thought it would be nice to keep the free in free iphone sidekick! I redid the guide a hair and redid the site. Also put a slightly modified version on the squid config for everyone to try out and see if it is any better. I also want to add that I do give mad props to the original creator of freeiphonesidekick.co.cc for his work and that if you do not wish to use the DIY guide you may want to check out p1nksnow from there article here: PRESS RELEASE: Introducing P1nkSn0w | LEI Mobile

Here is the new Free Sidekick Proxy site:

sidekickdataproxy.freetzi.com - THE FREE SOLUTION TO iPhone data on T-Mobile!

Hope this helps all the people out there still and I will update if I change anything else on the config and such. Might redo the page to make it more user friendly

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidekickdataproxy For This Useful Post:

antman1 (07-27-2010), digitalreflex (07-27-2010), knickers555 (07-27-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I tried the config at the bottom of the site and it improved my latency from what I can tell but speed appears the same from my end. Anyone know of the best site or program to use to test the speeds?

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antman1 View Post
    I tried the config at the bottom of the site and it improved my latency from what I can tell but speed appears the same from my end. Anyone know of the best site or program to use to test the speeds?
    Download speedtest app for free
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have been using a speedtest app and it has done good. I also used the website i.dslr.net and it wasn't bad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was looking through the config on squid and I noticed you increased the amount of memory to be used for squid. I am not sure if it increases the speed by much but I think it also does matter how fast the phone is too. Anyone wanna post screenshots of there speeds they are getting? Would like to see what others are getting.

Also wanted to add that I like that you also put how to check to see if squid is running or not. Good addition to the guide.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey SideKickDataProxy I am the original creator of that guide and owner of freeiphonesidekick.co.cc. I'd just like to say I am glad that you took the time to post this where people can get to it.

I am now part of the p1nksn0w team and we are running a very reliable shared proxy service. It is in the spirit of what we do that we encourage everyone to do this themselves if they have the skills. We are there for anyone else who either doesn't want to run the service at home or who does not have the skills to set up their own services.

I only have one request and that is to put something in the guide to give Antman props. He is the one who made the zip file and batch file installation to make it easier for people to install squid on win32.

Thanks from the p1nksn0w team!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ayestyles For This Useful Post:

antman1 (08-01-2010)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antman1 View Post
    I was looking through the config on squid and I noticed you increased the amount of memory to be used for squid. I am not sure if it increases the speed by much but I think it also does matter how fast the phone is too. Anyone wanna post screenshots of there speeds they are getting? Would like to see what others are getting.

Also wanted to add that I like that you also put how to check to see if squid is running or not. Good addition to the guide.
    I did increase the amount of memory used in the config I am using and it seems to help me a bit. I will play with it more but I am not the best with proxy setups and stuff. so far my speeds are decent and I can do youtube and such with my configs. I might look at other proxy apps out there too and see if anything else does this job faster but so far Squid is easy as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by ayestyles View Post
    Hey SideKickDataProxy I am the original creator of that guide and owner of freeiphonesidekick.co.cc. I'd just like to say I am glad that you took the time to post this where people can get to it.

I am now part of the p1nksn0w team and we are running a very reliable shared proxy service. It is in the spirit of what we do that we encourage everyone to do this themselves if they have the skills. We are there for anyone else who either doesn't want to run the service at home or who does not have the skills to set up their own services.

I only have one request and that is to put something in the guide to give Antman props. He is the one who made the zip file and batch file installation to make it easier for people to install squid on win32.

Thanks from the p1nksn0w team!
    I thank you a lot ayestyles for writing such a great guide in the first place. I have added the credit to Antman on the page and thank Antman as well for his work on making the installation of squid easier for everyone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I noticed a small problem on my 3GS after I jailbroke it. I installed the profile for the proxy and it told me I could install only 1 profile at a time. I looked and it does t show a profile installed. I think it is remembering something from when I restored my backup from iTunes. Funny thing is my proxy server is working so I am just not sure if it is just some kind of glitch or something. Still working great as usual. I'm out of minutes for the past couple of weeks with no credit on my account and enjoying the free Internet with the glitch tmobile has. works till I can get some more cash flow on it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

why wen i hit "install.bat" its saying it cant find "openscmanager" ?? Help pleasee

Green Apple
    Thanks

Could you show a screen shot of the error? Also did you put the squid directory at the root of your c drive?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what do you mean the root of my c drive?

Last edited by kidsays; 08-15-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

You have I on the root of c. Run it again and see if the service is started like the directions say. If you see squid is started then you are ok.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

still not started... -___- do you have a aim or something were i can speak to you at?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It sounds like a windows Vista and permissions issue. Try right clicking the install.bat file and click properties then click the compatibility tab and then check mark the "Run as administrator" section and rerun it. Another option is to disable UAC to install it as well.

**Edit**. I also noticed that you have Norton Internet security and it may be blocking it too

I don't know if anyone else noticed this. I was away from the house and got a text from textfree and it went through. I was talking to a friend and realized I wasn't at home on wifi. Aparently the new release of textfree fixed it and now it loads through the proxy.
    Last edited by antman1; 08-16-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost