+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G/3GS MMS & Tethering Help

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am really really confused about the whole MMS & Tethering on iPhones 3G/3GS. I have read so many guides online telling me to install different apps from cydia and
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G/3GS MMS & Tethering Help
    I am really really confused about the whole MMS & Tethering on iPhones 3G/3GS. I have read so many guides online telling me to install different apps from cydia and use some weird settings. Every guide tells me to install some weird app from cydia and I am unsure which one to use.

My question is:

Case 1: if I have a hacktivated/jailbroken/unlocked 3G/3GS running iOS 3.x.x how do I enable mms and tethering?

Case 2: if I have a hacktivated/jailbroken/unlocked 3G/3GS running iOS 4.x.x how do I enable mms and tethering?

Also if I have a data plan with tmobile, does it work out of the box or I have to configure some settings also?

adp
    Thanks

1) all you do is download a carrier bundle from cydia. This will also enable data.

2) iOS 4 is more complicated, but you can download an IPCC file and load it to your phone. This is supposed to work, but I don't have any first hand experience.

For tethering, you can also download MyWi, which turns your phone into a wifi router via your phones data. It's $10 or $20 in cydia.

Thanks

1) What is the carrier bundle I am suppose to search for in Cydia in order to get enable data/mms?

2) For iOS 4, I am guessing I can use this guide also right? T-Mobile USA MMS Fix for iOS4 For the IPCC file, where can I get it?

So there is no way to get tethering working without having to pay for an app? Is tethering free and native if the iphone user is on AT&T network?

Update: I am confsued in the sense that why do I have to download carrier bundles and stuff from Cydia? Can't I just go to the Cellular Data Network settings and just input the correct settings to have mms/data working out of the box?
    Last edited by Zythyr; 07-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zythyr View Post
    1) What is the carrier bundle I am suppose to search for in Cydia in order to get enable data/mms?

2) For iOS 4, I am guessing I can use this guide also right? T-Mobile USA MMS Fix for iOS4 For the IPCC file, where can I get it?

So there is no way to get tethering working without having to pay for an app? Is tethering free and native if the iphone user is on AT&T network?

Update: I am confsued in the sense that why do I have to download carrier bundles and stuff from Cydia? Can't I just go to the Cellular Data Network settings and just input the correct settings to have mms/data working out of the box?
    1) That depends on your data plan, but if you're on iOS4 they will not work.

2) Go here
    T-Mobile USA Carrier Bundles: Bluetooth, Internet, MMS, & Tethering (2G/3G/3GS/4)
    and scroll down to Installation and download the iOS4 IPCC with the instructions

You can get tethering without paying for any app with the proper bundel (IPCC) and a data plan.

You can enter the settings manually, but to properly have MMS and Tethering working you will need a bundle
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    1) That depends on your data plan, but if you're on iOS4 they will not work.

2) Go here
    T-Mobile USA Carrier Bundles: Bluetooth, Internet, MMS, & Tethering (2G/3G/3GS/4)
    and scroll down to Installation and download the iOS4 IPCC with the instructions

You can get tethering without paying for any app with the proper bundel (IPCC) and a data plan.

You can enter the settings manually, but to properly have MMS and Tethering working you will need a bundle
    So I am guessing this guide, is all in one.

All I have to do is select the correct IPCC file for the respective firmware (iOS 3 or 4)and install it. This IPCC file will enable both MMS and tethering?

As for selecting the proper IPCC file, I will have to call up tmobile to figure out which data plan I am on right? For example Standard, or Blackberry, etc?

What if I selected the wrong IPCC file or lets say I go from a prepaid to postpaid plan. Can I just go to Cellular Data Network and manually edit my settings or will I have to reinstall the correct IPCC file?

adp
    Thanks

Well there should be only 2 IPCC files, so if you're on iOS4 you should select that one. Yes, follow that guide for installation

Thanks

Well there should be only 2 IPCC files, so if you're on iOS4 you should select that one. Yes, follow that guide for installation
    I downloaded both iOS 3 and 4's IPCC files. It has multiple IPCC files: bb coporate, vpn, tzones, standard, prepaid, sidekick, legacy, etc...

Also quick question, if I swtich from tmobile to another carrier, I will most likely need to restore my phone right because you can't uninstall IPCC files?

adp
    Thanks

Correct.

What's your data plan?

Thanks

Correct.

What's your data plan?
    Well prepaid in my case. By just to confirm, if I go from lets say a prepaid plan to a postpaid (let say standard), do I have to restore the iPhone or just reinstall the correct IPCC file?

adp
    Thanks

Prepaid won't work unless you have the sidekick plan which is complicated as you need a proxy. If you switch you should get web2go unlimited data for $10. Then get the legacy package