+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob here and in need of help - 3gs on Tmobile

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a Iphone 3gs with an old bootrom. The software is at 4.0.0 and I do have my shsh saved. I do not have a contract
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Noob here and in need of help - 3gs on Tmobile
    Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Iphone 3gs with an old bootrom. The software is at 4.0.0 and I do have my shsh saved. I do not have a contract with at&t. My current phone is a sidekick LX from 2007. Ive had the phone since December of 2007. The current additional charges for the sidekick is $20 a month. This includes unlimited data, texting, email, etc.

Ive got a few questions. I think I may be like most people here and we are patiently anticipating a 4.0 jb. When it does release I will unlock the phone and get it ready for Tmobile.

-In the mean time, after I unlock the phone, will i just simply be able to install my Tmobile sim card in the 3gs and be good to go? Good to go as far as texting, web etc. Or will I need to ssh into the phone and start changing settings?

-Does Tmobile know that you are using an unlocked Iphone and make you purchase an iphone plan through them?

-Should I call tmobile and cancel my sidekick plan and get a new plan?

-I read a previous thread about sidekick and the iphone but I coudnt really understand it. I believe it was talking about creating your own server and such? I really would like to avoid something like that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if you think there is something I should know that I forgot to ask please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!

adp
    Thanks

First of all, if you have a 3GS with the old bootrom on 4.0, you will be able to unblock it. Tmobile will know that you have an iPhone if you call them. But if you do your changes online in mytmobile.com you shouldn't have problems. You can keep the sidekick plan, but are you on prepaid??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    First of all, if you have a 3GS with the old bootrom on 4.0, you will be able to unblock it. Tmobile will know that you have an iPhone if you call them. But if you do your changes online in mytmobile.com you shouldn't have problems. You can keep the sidekick plan, but are you on prepaid??
    1. Ok so I will not call them and let them know I have an iphone. What changes need to be made on mytmobile.com?

2. Prepaid as in pay as you go? No I had a 2 year contract and it has been over for 6 months or so.

3. So it will be simple as unlocking and installing my sim card and everything will work?

Thanks for the help!

adp
    Thanks

1. That's to make changes to your plan. You should switch to web2go unlimited data + text for $19.99. Go there and change your phone to an old motorila. Then under my services choose unlimited data + text for $19.99 for "other phones." If you don't see it listed then initiate a chat concersation with customer service and they'll do it. Just don't mention the iPhone.

2. Good. That means you don't have to worry about proxy servers.

3. Yes, once you get the phone use a guise to jailbreak and unlock 4.0 - it's relatively simple and only requires redsn0w and ultrasn0w.

Green Apple
    Thanks

what happens if you tell t-mobile that you have an iphone? they will want to charge you more? Sorry im in the process of getting an iphone 3gs too for t mobile and havent done this in a while

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highrider17 View Post
    what happens if you tell t-mobile that you have an iphone? they will want to charge you more? Sorry im in the process of getting an iphone 3gs too for t mobile and havent done this in a while
    They will not charge you more for voice or text, but they will try to force you into their smartphone data plan, which is around $30. You're basically paying the same as Android and HTC users pay for data, only thing is they get 3G speed and you don't. That's BS under my eyes, so that's why I recommend people to get web2go.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

highrider17 (07-24-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

okay makes sense. So i would still get internet for 30$ but it wouldn't be as fast as 3g. So does the web2go just give me the same internet for cheaper?

And i was just wondering what you recommend i do, im looking to get a iphone3gs 32gb off of ebay to unlock it for t mobile of course. What are some of the things i should look for in the listings that would allow me to do it at this time and what are some of the things that just cant be done right now?( like the iso4 isnt unlocked yet right?)
    Thanks (:

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highrider17 View Post
    okay makes sense. So i would still get internet for 30$ but it wouldn't be as fast as 3g. So does the web2go just give me the same internet for cheaper?

And i was just wondering what you recommend i do, im looking to get a iphone3gs 32gb off of ebay to unlock it for t mobile of course. What are some of the things i should look for in the listings that would allow me to do it at this time and what are some of the things that just cant be done right now?( like the iso4 isnt unlocked yet right?)
    Thanks (:
    Yea, you're paying $10 for the same exact internet as if you'd pay $30.

I don't recommend buying off eBay as they usually end up bidding overpriced. I'd say look for a good local deal off Craigslist. I'd recommend you buy a 3GS with the old bootrom to avoid many problems.

Right now only the 3GS phones with the old bootrom are jailbroken and unlocked for 4.0. The ones with the new bootrom have to wait until the next one comes out.

Green Apple
    Thanks

okay sounds good, whats considered the old bootrom in which you can still unlock the phones and which numbers are the new ones that you cant unlock it yet?

adp
    Thanks

The only way to truly see if it's old bootrom is by putting it in DFU mode. Follow this guide
    How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    3. Yes, once you get the phone use a guise to jailbreak and unlock 4.0 - it's relatively simple and only requires redsn0w and ultrasn0w.
    In case im missing someting. I have the phone and im certain that it is impossible to jb and unlock a 3gs old bootrom on 4.0 as of now. Im waiting on comex and team. Is this correct?

adp
    Thanks

No, the old bootrom is unlocked for 4.0. The new one is not, you will have to wait.