Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some iPhone 4 Questions....

Default Some iPhone 4 Questions....
    Hello all,

I currently have a 3G and am looking to purchase an iPhone 4. I have a friend that is willing to extend their contract with AT&T to purchase the iPhone 4 for me for $200. I want to make sure that before we purchase it, that it will not mess anything up on her side. Does anyone know if you can purchase the iPhone 4 without selecting a data plan? She did the eligibility test and is eligible for 2 year extension and the 199$ cost. Again, I just want to make sure that she isn't charged anything except for the 200$ phone cost (and tax of course).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Hopefully she already has an iPhone. They will force her to upgrade to an iPhone plan if she doesnt have one already. She could downgrade back down after a month saying she didnt like the phone but she would have to pay for the first month's service. Even then Im not sure if doing that would work either.

If she already has an iPhone and doesnt mind extending her contract like you said, then it should be fine.

Thanks

I think they force you to have the data plan for 2 years. I just passed my first months bill and I cannot remove the data plan. But there may be a way around it if you say you lost the phone or something like that. The minimum data plan is $15

Lol people you are all wrong. I have done this for friends. Purchase online and just don't activate the phone on there line. Put your card in when you get it and it will have you change you plan. Or keep it the same.

If you chose to go to the store they will make you activate on the line your getting it on. Then when you leave the store call swap your sim into the phone have the account holder call AT&T immediately and say you want to remove the iPhone plan of the line. You don't have to wait a month or anything like that.

Last year I purchased through apple online using myother inlaw upgrade when I got the phone I swapped the sim to mine hooked it ip to iTunes and ot will do the rest. The only other charge your friend will see is a 18 upgrade fee

Btw my wife works for customer care and I know all yhi for a fact. It's where I got the idea. The only way you can't remove an iphone plan is if your still usin an iPhone
    Last edited by subywrex; 07-21-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So if she already has an iPhone with a data plan, she can buy the iPhone 4 WITHOUT selecting the data plan, and just paying ticket price for it?

Thanks

No, like Anniex said, you have to purchase the data plan with it. However, according to the subywrex, you can activate the phone and then remove the sim and put it into another phone. Then call AT&T and remove the data plan.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Interesting... I found this directly on the Apple website, guess I just missed it before....

Code:
    Can I keep my current AT&T unlimited data plan?

Yes. If you currently have an unlimited data plan for your current 
    iPhone or other AT&T smartphone, you will be able to keep it 
    when you purchase your new iPhone.
    Taken from:

Code:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackhaT View Post
    Interesting... I found this directly on the Apple website, guess I just missed it before....

Code:
    Can I keep my current AT&T unlimited data plan?

Yes. If you currently have an unlimited data plan for your current 
    iPhone or other AT&T smartphone, you will be able to keep it 
    when you purchase your new iPhone.
    Taken from:

Code:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone
    Those posts relate from the June 7th changes to the unlimited plans of AT&T. Basically, on 6/7/10 they took away the unlimited plans and applied the 2GB and 200Mb plans. The quote relates to all the old customers who were asking if they could keep their unlimited plans. Not the same as what you're asking about
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->