+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone - t-mobile !? WHY!?!?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I had an iphone for 3 years now and have been with T-Mobile for over 6. But I ask myself more and more...WHY!? If I want an iphone4 I have
    iPhone? More like MyPhone dogdaysunrise's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iphone - t-mobile !? WHY!?!?
    I had an iphone for 3 years now and have been with T-Mobile for over 6.

But I ask myself more and more...WHY!?

If I want an iphone4 I have to buy one off of ebay for ~$800.
    I cant use 3G service with t-mobile....

It's not really that much cheaper.....

SO, am I missing something!??!?
    Because I think it's time to switch to evil AT&T.....

Thanks

Hi, I was thinking the same thing, but Tmobile service and limited dropped calls on the iphone are more important. I want the iphone 4 too but I belive the 800 justifiable not as much so to speak with the ATT mandatory data plan and realistic minute package will make the 800 for the iphone 4 look like a bargain. Tmobile doesn't make it mandatory to even get a data plan and u can use wifi which is free in most popular coffee shops and fast food places. Tmobile is the best choice.

adp
    Thanks

I was in the same boat and switched to AT&T last week. Pre-ordered my i4 32GB for about $800 less than what I would have paid without a contract on T-mobile (craigslist/ebay). I sold my 3G for just about the price of what I paid for the iPhone 4. If you play your cards right, you can actually pay close to AT&T. I'm paying $18/month more than what I used to pay in T-mobile, but I get 3G and that's a big plus. Also, not have to worry about the next unlock helps. As of now, it is unknown when the iPhone 4 will be unlocked.

The way I see things, $18 more * 24 months = ~$400 for the service. I saved twice that amount by buying with a contract, and when I sell the phone I expect to get around $300 (2 years from now). So for me it does pay off. Add military discounts and bundle rebates, and I end up paying even less. But I do miss T-mobile customer service. AT&T people can be a pain. I also had T-mobile for 7 years.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

dogdaysunrise (06-28-2010)

Thanks

Another point, the iphone 4 is very important piece of tech. I believe down the Firmware road the Facetime will be open to skype, ichat etc etc so yes $800 seems alot but I would rather own it outright that to be tethered to ATT for 2 years at a premium. The $15-25 att data options are not user friendly enough for even the casual user to not exceed enjoying the iphone 4. I would just pay and own the phone outright.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T is not evil. Their network is better and I have never had a customer service issue with them. Their service costs more, but what do you expect for nationwide service. Tmo is still too small to be considered a major carrier.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Another point, the iphone 4 is very important piece of tech. I believe down the Firmware road the Facetime will be open to skype, ichat etc etc so yes $800 seems alot but I would rather own it outright that to be tethered to ATT for 2 years at a premium. The $15-25 att data options are not user friendly enough for even the casual user to not exceed enjoying the iphone 4. I would just pay and own the phone outright.
    Facetime will not work over edge though...think about that. Even with 3G unrestrictor, there's no way in hell you're gonna get video+voice in real time with 20Kb/s download.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

marksmania (06-28-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default T-mobile
    Hi Iam waiting for a white iPhone 4. I have a 3gs and my contrat is up ATT. I would like to unlock my new iPhone 4 when it comes out and go with T-mobile. I want to save money. I pay $960 a year, work discount with att. I can live with out 3g but can anyone tell me what is the real savings of going with t-mobile? Can I still use iTunes?
    Also, would I lose face time?
    Thanks Mark

Thanks

How much do you pay for AT&T service a month!?

I have the T-Mo Royalty plan, plus internet, plus unlimited texts.
    I pay $102 a month.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marksmania View Post
    Hi Iam waiting for a white iPhone 4. I have a 3gs and my contrat is up ATT. I would like to unlock my new iPhone 4 when it comes out and go with T-mobile. I want to save money. I pay $960 a year, work discount with att. I can live with out 3g but can anyone tell me what is the real savings of going with t-mobile? Can I still use iTunes?
    Also, would I lose face time?
    Thanks Mark
    I take you pay $80/month. Well I'm not sure what you're looking for, but minimum voice is $29.99 for 500 minutes, text is $10 and data is $10. No 3G or visual voicemail. Pretty much unlimited everything could cost you $70 without fees. You can still use iTunes and sync as usual, but every time there's a FW update you have to wait until it's jailbroken and unlocked. you won't lost Facetime as it's over wifi only. With the Jailbreak though, 3G unrestrictor will allow FaceTime over 3G networks. You just won't be able to do this over EDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
    How much do you pay for AT&T service a month!?

I have the T-Mo Royalty plan, plus internet, plus unlimited texts.
    I pay $102 a month.
    Is that a family plan? If not, you're definitely over-paying. You can get unlimited everything with Even More Plus at $70. If you switch to AT&T you're looking at $115 for the same.
    Last edited by adp; 06-28-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You can use iTunes and you will keep Facetime.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

marksmania (06-28-2010)

Thanks

This is also something I've been debating whether or not to do for awhile now. I'm thinking about taking the plunge next year once the new iPhone comes out.

Since I'll also be attending college full-time, and if I remember correctly, AT&T gave (hopefully still does)students a small discount.

Edge by no means is fast but I mean it's alright though, especially when my main use of it is to use the online radio while driving. Helps me hear something more of my liking, than constantly have to listen to the same "top 10 songs" .
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RaiV3R View Post
    Since I'll also be attending college full-time, and if I remember correctly, AT&T gave (hopefully still does)students a small discount.
    Not all colleges, but if yours does then you'll get 10-15% off your voice and data services (text not included).

Go here
    Premier for Your Business | AT&T wireless services
    and enter your e-mail from your school (if you have one yet) under "Qualify for Discounts" to check if you're covered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I take you pay $80/month. Well I'm not sure what you're looking for, but minimum voice is $29.99 for 500 minutes, text is $10 and data is $10. No 3G or visual voicemail. Pretty much unlimited everything could cost you $70 without fees. You can still use iTunes and sync as usual, but every time there's a FW update you have to wait until it's jailbroken and unlocked. you won't lost Facetime as it's over wifi only. With the Jailbreak though, 3G unrestrictor will allow FaceTime over 3G networks. You just won't be able to do this over EDGE.

Is that a family plan? If not, you're definitely over-paying. You can get unlimited everything with Even More Plus at $70. If you switch to AT&T you're looking at $115 for the same.
    You wouldn't happen to have more details about this plan you're talking about?
    This is with unlimited texts?

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have more details about this plan you're talking about?
    This is with unlimited texts?
    You can choose, but yes $70 would include unlimited texts.

Unsupported Browser

Go to that link, and scroll down to where it says "Individual Talk + Text" unlimited, which is $59.99 under Even More Plus (the plan with no conract). Then you add web2go for $9.99 and you end up paying $69.99 for unlimited everything.

Pretty good deal.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thx!
    Weird, so no contract is cheaper than with!?
    I have a contract with t-mobile, wonder if I can change....I might just call them....might be easier and faster.
    Last edited by dogdaysunrise; 06-28-2010 at 11:05 AM.

adp
    Thanks

They're cheaper because they don't give you a subsidized phone. You have to pay full price, which is perfect because they don't sell iPhones anyway.

Yea when you call ask to switch. But don't call from your iPhone. If you want web2go, you have to call from a dumbphone. Otherwise they'll try to force you into the $24.99 data plan for smartphones.
    Last edited by adp; 06-28-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've been with BellSouth Mobility / Cingular / AT&T for many many years, and never had a problem. Their coverage is better than the competition in my area and I've had no problems with their service. Virtually every single person I'd want to talk to is on AT&T here (vast majority of people in general), so I only ever use mobile to mobile minutes, allowing me to get the smallest voice plan they offer and still build tons of rollover. The only thing that bugged me is that they kept delaying our 3G rollout, but finally did this last December (to our town of ~36,000 people in Mississippi). Also they used to have issues with long lines of customers, but this has been resolved in recent years and I've not had problems getting service immediately upon entering a store in a long, long time.

I don't see why there is all the AT&T hate on the internet. Verizon didn't even sell service here until late last year. I couldn't tell you were one T-Mobile store is. There is a regional carrier who's customer service is fantastic but phone selection leaves something to be desired.

Thanks

I was kind of in the same boat. I love Tmobile. I get great coverage in my area and the customer service is top notch. However, I got tired of buying phones for more $$ and not having fast data. So I switched last year and ATT hasn't been bad at all. It helps that I get a 24% discount through work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've had ATT and I live in the zone clearly marked "good service" I get zero bars. For me T-mobile is much cheaper because I am on the non-contract plan with $5 add on for unlimited messaging and shared minutes. I use verizon MiFi for 3g data. Overall it's still cheaper for me to be on t-mobile.

Thanks

So what's the cheapest plan with the iphone and AT&T?

I tried to look on their website, but when I click shop for plans, it asks for my #...