+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JB 2G to iPhone 4 upgrade: carrier name

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Not sure where to post this... I had a 2G iPhone jb for t-mobile and just upgraded to iPhone 4 but switched to AT&T. After my first sync, the carrier
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default JB 2G to iPhone 4 upgrade: carrier name
    Not sure where to post this...

I had a 2G iPhone jb for t-mobile and just upgraded to iPhone 4 but switched to AT&T. After my first sync, the carrier name in the status bar switched to saying "T-Mobile" even though it's not a jb phone! Anyone know how to fix this so it displays the correct carrier name ("AT&T")?

TIA,
    -Aaron

adp
    Thanks

Did you already port your phone number to AT&T?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yep. The Apple employee did it yesterday in-store when I picked up my reserved iPhone.
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

Thanks

Did you "restore from backup" in iTunes?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes - I backed up my 2G iPhone and then immediately plugged in the iPhone 4 to restore from that newly created backup.

Everything works perfectly fine, so it's not causing problems. I'm just tired of looking at that T-Mobile name and can't figure out why it would've changed that. :-P
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

adp
    Thanks

Lol did you somehow tweak your carrier name (like use "MakeItMine" from cydia) to display T-mobile? I'm guessing it's got something to do with restoring from backup.

A solution would be to sync all your contacts, songs, apps, etc. with iTunes and then restore and set up as a new phone. I didn't restore from backup because the phone tends to operate faster when set up as a new phone. I did the same thing you did (switch to AT&T) yesterday and didn't experience this issue at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

batman129 (06-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LOL, I *did* have a Cydia tweak on my 2G... I just never thought that would carry over to a new iPhone unmodded! :-D

Thanks - I like your solution. I'll give it a try. I don't think I've done it that way before so I'll have to research a bit to make sure I do it correctly. Shouldn't be hard, though.
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

adp
    Thanks

Yea the most important part is syncing your contacts. Make sure they sync from your iPhone TO your computer, that way they'll carry over. You can use outlook contacts or windows contacts. Also, any internal app data will be lost (ie. bank account info, saved games, etc). iTunes will save your apps but not it's individual data. Also, sync your pictures or save them from the DCIM folder in "My computer - iPhone"

Thanks

Resetting all settings from within the phone may clear it to normal. Can anyone back this up?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh, wow. I didn't realize it would wipe all of that data. I'm not sure I want to do that... especially since I've worked so hard in Angry Birds! :-D

I've got an app for my contacts to sync - SyncContacts, so I'm not worried about losing those. And since it's a new iPhone, I don't have new photos on it (they're on my 2G, which I can SSH into).

Thanks for the added info, adp. I'll consider this option, but I'm still open to other ideas that won't wipe my data (if that's possible).
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

adp
    Thanks

Go to general, reset, reset network settings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    thanks adp! hopefully that works for batman.
    If I helped at all, hit thanks! ------------>

iPhone 4, you will soon be mine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work for me. :-(
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

adp
    Thanks

Lol it's gotta be your old settings. You might just have to wait until the phone is jailbroken, when that happens you'll be able to change it. Hey on the bright side, you might be able to spook a bunch of people by telling them you're using T-mobile in a un-jailbroken iPhone 4 with 3G speeds...

Or you can take it to an Apple store and punk a Genius. Lol I'm just throwing out ideas sorry...I just think it's hilarous that you have T-mobile in your carrier in an un-jailbroken phone.

One last thing I'd try is going into reset - reset settings (not the one that says all settings & data). but this will clear out any settings and you will have to re-enter (ie. e-mail accounts, etc.)

Also, try taking out your SIM and let your phone re-register itself with the tower
    Last edited by adp; 06-25-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LOL, I thought about that yesterday, actually. I figured if I posted a screenshot I could get some blog hits... but that would eventually be followed by hate mail, which I'd rather avoid. :-D

Great ideas, though! Man, I don't know why this bugs me so much...
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, I found a workaround: Change iPhone carrier name and time string without jailbreaking

It looks like several JB files (e.g., springboard and other JB apps) remained in the backup (which makes sense - it's how apps like AptBackup work) and transfer to my UNmodded iPhone 4. Anyway, I edited the SBFakeCarrier name to AT&T (oh, the irony) using the program in that link, restored, and viola! :-)
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

adp
    Thanks

Nice find!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One last piece of help... I'm considering setting up my iPhone 4 as NEW but I'm not totally clear on what data I would lose AND if it's possible to get that all back with a restore:

1. Backup in iTunes
    2. Setup iPhone 4 as new phone
    3. After it's all setup, restore from the backup

Will this give me a clean install but still allow me to keep my data (such as notes, sms history, app data)?
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)

adp
    Thanks

It would but since you're re-backing up, you'd still keep your old backup info from your 2G