Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile USA MMS Fix for iOS4

If I don't put anything under cellular data it will it still charge me monthly for using data on that web2go crap for T-Mobile? Because I have a plan with my family, and they can all send MMS. Because I have an iPhone though, it won't let me. Will this allow me to send MMS without using up Data?

Wow, you guys have made this more difficult and confusing than it needs to be. Here's how this works:

Whatever data plan you have with T-Mobile will dictate what your APN, and in turn, your MMS settings will be. There are 4-5 data plans that I'm aware of, and I'll point out what APN(s) you can access, and then in turn you can set your MMS up accordingly.

T-Zones
    HTTP proxy-only internet for ooooold phones, designed for WAP use. (Legacy plan, will eventually go away. Cheapest option available at $5/mo I believe. If you have it, don't give it up!!!)
    Accessible APNs: wap.voicestream.com

T-Mobile Total Internet
    Designed for smart phones, but you get a private IP address and your traffic is NAT'ed. I had this for $15/mo
    Accessible APNs: wap.voicestream.com internet2.voicestream.com

T-Mobile Total Internet with VPN
    Identical to regular total internet, except you have a public IP address without NAT. Not only can you not get this plan anymore, but you can't get a plan with a public IP anymore. If you have this, it's not the cheapest option at $25/mo, but it was certainly fun while it lasted. If you want to do anything with a public IP, this was your only option.
    Accessible APNs: wap.voicestream.com, internet2.voicestream.com, internet3.voicestream.com

Unlimited Data for Smart Phones
    This is the replacement for T-Mobile Total Internet. $30/mo
    Accessible APNs: epc.tmobile.com

Unlimited Data for Shadow
    Currently this is your best option for the iPhone, as it includes unlimited data, sms, and mms for $10/mo. So far as I can tell, it is identical to T-Mobile Total Internet, but costs far less.
    Accessible APNs: internet2.voicestream.com

Okay, now that you know what APNs you can and can't use, note the differences between them:

wap.voicestream.com: Uses the $http_proxy environment variable for everything, which from a networking standpoint sucks, but it's cheap and just about everything you'll ever want to do on the phone works. VPN will be a challenge on this without doing something with nc, but not impossible.

internet2.voicestream.com: This is going to behave the most like your typical desktop (aside from epc.tmobile.com), as your traffic will be NAT'ed, but most things work without a problem, including most VPN solutions despite the designation of internet3.

internet3.voicestream.com: Using this APN will give you a public IP address. The least restrictive of all of the APNs and data plans.

epc.tmobile.com: This new APN seems to be smart as it bases your access and speed on your account via ACL rather than giving all devices that access it the same permissions. My belief is that all 3G devices *must* use this APN, but since the iPhone talks on the wrong frequency, this is a completely moot point.

Okay, now that you have your APN, go to Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Settings. Fill all of the APN fields in with the APN that you're going to access. All usernames and passwords should remain blank. Use the same APN for all settings! Sure, if you can access more than one APN on your plan it might work (when I had Total Internet I used Internet2 for data but WAP for MMS), but best to keep it the same.

MMS Settings for Legacy APNs (ie, NOT epc.tmobile.com), leave all of the Username and Password fields blank and enter the following:

MMSC: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms (make sure you have the http:// and have no trailing forward slash!)

MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050:8080 (make sure there is NOT an http:// and at least in my testing, that last octet does need to be .050 instead of .50, but YMMV)

Everything else should be blank.

If you're on the new epc.tmobile.com APN, just follow the settings on T-Mobile's own support page: http://support.my.t-mobile.com/doc/tm10145.xml

2G Users!
    Remember that on the 2G, when you leave the setup page, it tries to verify that you're allowed to use MMS (which the 2G isn't), so it tries to clear the page. You have to futz with it to get the settings to stick. If I remember correctly, you have to enter the settings, press enter on the virtual keyboard, then immediately power off the phone and boot back up - that way it doesn't have the chance to verify. When it comes back up, DO NOT go back to the Settings page. Instead, immediately send a test MMS to verify.
    Last edited by Numbski; 12-27-2010 at 08:56 AM.

you rock thanks i even call t mobile and they couldnt help thanks

[QUOTE=fernandorinto;5308351]I have a 3GS old bootrom and also a 3Gs new bootroom JB with Pwnage 4.0 and unlocked with ultrasn0w 1.1-1 and I have managed to fix my Incoming MMS
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<(this also works with iPhone3G, iPhone4 and also if u jailbreake with redsn0w , jailbreakme.com or Sn0wbreeze)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NOTE:,,,,,Every one should do a restore and NOT an UPDATE to iOS 4.0.1 and legally Activate there iPhone through iTunes b4 jailbreaking , all u need is an At@t or singular Sim card, the Sim card doesn't need to have service
    Just keep the At&t or Singular Sim card inside ur iPhone during the Restore Process And once restore is complete, keep the iphone connected to ur comp untill iTunes detect ur iPhone. Once is detected it will activate your iPhone even if the Sim card has no Service
    Once your are ready to jailbreak your iPhone with Resn0w, Pwnage tool or Sn0wbreeze Just make sure that you uncheck the option to ACTIVATE UR IPHONE
    If you use Jailbreakme.com to jailbreak ur iPhone then you don't have to worry about the ACTIVATION option as there is no ACTIVATION option in jailbreakme.com

If you do that way, it'll better cause Push notification will work just perfect and if you Hacktivate instead then Push Notification WILL NOT WORK

WARNING: AS OFF 08/22/2010 iOS 4.0.2 CAN NOT BE JAILBROKEN SO MAKE SURE YOU RESTORE UR IPHONE TO iOS 4.0.1 ONLY

1:_SSH in to your iPhone then navigate to

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/

inside the Preferences folder you'll need to find a file call "com.apple.mms_override.plist"

2:_Download that file in to your computer and open it with any text editor software
    You need to delete everything there and paste this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>MMS</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GroupModeEnabled</key>
    <false/>
    <key>MMSC</key>
    <string>http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc</string>
    <key>MaxMessageSize</key>
    <integer>1048576</integer>
    <key>MaxRecipients</key>
    <integer>10</integer>
    <key>MaxVideoBitrate</key>
    <integer>131072</integer>
    <key>Proxy</key>
    <string>216.155.165.50:8080</string>
    <key>UAProf</key>
    <string>http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf</string>
    <key>UserAgent</key>
    <string>SonyEricssonW800i/R1L</string>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

3:_Save the file with out renaming the original name
    and upload it back to you iphone in the same place

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/

You'll will need to override "replace" the original file that is in there

4:_Then Rebooted your iPhone an mms incoming and outgoing will work just perfect

UPDATE #1

i don't know how to work this part.. can someone please help me? I've tired many different ways to try to fix this incoming messaging but nothing seems to work.. I even called tmobile and they couldn't even help me...

Ok Hey everyone. New here. I've got it working but at random times only... also edge/internet will not work for a while after making calls. Anyone else have this problem? could this also be why it only works randomly?

I don't have the camera button in my text message when I compose a message. How do I get it back?

Thumbs up Incoming MMS finally working!!
    If after performing the instructions at the begining of this thread as I did and you are still not working, see below.

I can confirm that the pushfix.info package found in Cydia will indeed work. The package is called T-Mobile US MMS Fix. I have been trying to fix this problem for the past 3 weeks and was ready to say the heck with iPhone. The problem was that I was able to send MMS but when receiving I would get the dreaded message "...picture resolution or message size restriction."

Where is the plist file located to change the mms settings.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 17combo View Post
    If after performing the instructions at the begining of this thread as I did and you are still not working, see below.

I can confirm that the pushfix.info package found in Cydia will indeed work. The package is called T-Mobile US MMS Fix. I have been trying to fix this problem for the past 3 weeks and was ready to say the heck with iPhone. The problem was that I was able to send MMS but when receiving I would get the dreaded message "...picture resolution or message size restriction."
    how is your setting?maybe i can help!

Default Worked for me!
    Worked for me with a iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 with 6.15.01 baseband. I did change have to change the following as seen later in this thread:

<string>http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc</string>

To:
    <string>http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms</string>

Working great now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mxkimball View Post
    Where is the plist file located to change the mms settings.

Var/mobile/Library/Preferences

File name is com.apple.mms_override

If you have windows.. open with notepad or plist Editor for Windows

Just substitute the code in that file and save.

Once saved...reboot your phone

Let us know your progress then.

Quote Originally Posted by 17combo View Post

I had the same exact issue after downloading that. I did follow this and it did work for me.

Did you reboot your phone? After that go to
    Settings => General => Network => Make sure that Cellular Data is ON (If not, Turn it ON and reboot) => Cellular Data Network and confirm that it is the same as written on the first page of this thread like so

Cellular Data

Apn: internet2.voicestream.com
    Username:
    Password:

Mms

Apn: epc.tmobile.com
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Reboot if you had to change anything under Cellular Data Network

Quote Originally Posted by stewkat View Post
    I don't have the camera button in my text message when I compose a message. How do I get it back?
    if you followed the directions as written, then if you go under Settings=>Messages You should see couple of MMS options..Most likely it is turned off in your settings. So turn it on and reboot just in case.

Let us know your progress
    Last edited by MaudmyiPhone; 01-06-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Still No Luck......
    First of all, this is a wonderful and useful community, and I'm glad to be a part of it. Thank you in advance for reading this and/or offering suggestions.

I have just recently purchased a 3GS 32GB with new bootrom running 4.0 (8A293) with baseband 05.13.04 using T-mobile. I jailbroke it using Comex's jailbreakme.com and unlocked with Ultrasnow. Everything works except sending and receiving MMS. I have been diligently pursuing a fix for this problem for the past week, and have tried almost everything in this post, except re-jailbreaking. I have tried Tmobile MMS and tethering patches from the following sources: Leimobile, Sinfuliphone, iphonedelivery.advinux.com, cydia.pushfix and xsellize.

I installed the carrier bundle for Tmobile Legacy that SpookyEt posted here: T-Mobile USA Carrier Bundles: Bluetooth, Internet, MMS, & Tethering (2G/3G/3GS/4). I also tried every combination of network settings listed in this thread. I also have a 3G on the same firmware and baseband that was jailbroken using redsnow, and it works perfect with the following settings: APN: internet2.voicestream.com. MMS APN: wap.voicestream.com, MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc, MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080, MMS Max Message Size: 1048576, MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com.mms/uaprof.rdf

I tried a few patches before opening the MMS .plist file and comparing it to the 3G version: they are identical and exactly like the one posted by the OP. I uninstalled all the patches and used an active AT&T sim card with the same result. The message will bar will fill almost until the end where it will stay indefinitely (when sending). When receiving I will receive"no subject" with the blue arrow that when touched reveals nothing but black. I have the option to save but nothing happens--it doesn't get transferred to the camera roll or anything. I SSHed to both iPhones simultaneously and compared the file system, but haven't noticed anything unusual yet. The first time I discovered this problem existed my friend had tried sending an MMS and I received the following message: "The media content was not included due to a picture resolution or message size restriction." I have not seen that message again since I began trying various fixes, only "no subject". I do not receive the red exclamation mark that you sometimes see when an MMS or SMS didn't go through; I only see that when I reboot after leaving the message in the "sending" state for an hour or more.

Although I am adept with electronics and troubleshooting, I am stumped. If I had an shsh blob that would have allowed me to go back to 4.0, I would have done that already; 4.2.1+ is my only blob. Is it possible to update to 4.2.1 and preserve my baseband at 05.13.04 then re-jailbreak, or can I perform a redsnow or other jailbreak over this one? I don't want to update to iPad's 6.15.00 bb and lose restore and warranty. Perhaps someone who's more familiar with the file system might suggest where MMS functionality is handled and whether I can just use files from my 3G?

Any guidance or advice is appreciated.

Regards

Will this still work if you don't edit the file?

.... when I followed the original post's instructions I had two com.apple... files. I rebooted as instructed, and mms still didn't work. I went back into my phone and noticed that I had two files with the same name. Thinking that was the cause of if not working, I deleted the original file and open the modified file to make sure the new settings were in there. They were.

Do I need to have both files in there, the original and the modified one? Or will the modified file in there by itself be fine.
    Last edited by putosusio; 01-11-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I put those settings into the .plist file but once I reboot my phone it goes back to the old settings. How do I get it to stay like it should be?

Quote Originally Posted by n1c3jack3t View Post
    It took a couple tries, but I had to make sure all my previous IPCCs/Cydia packages were uninstalled.
    ... do you remember which packages you had to uninstall. I have followed these instructions to the letter multiple times, but still can't get my mms to work. I'm afraid something I installed earlier might be the culprit. One of the things that I installed that I think might be the issue are pushfix.info; that apparently didn't install at all or correctly, due to a 404 error I received.

The other being the package at beta.leimobile.com/repo.

p.s. what does IPCCs mean?
    Last edited by putosusio; 01-11-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Exclamation I have tried EVERYTHING!!!
    Ok so I have an iphone 3G on the 4.1 OS and 6.15.00 bb and still cant find any fix for mms or my background. Before this update I was on 3.1.2 and was able to do both. What's the issue? Can someone come to my rescue plz!!!

Thanks
    I'm still having trouble receiving picture messages on my iPhone 3GS and 4. I can send and receive messages to myself just fine as well as sending to other people. It's just receiving it is the problem (resolution/size?). Even tried the OP's method. :/

Doesn't work on iphone4 4.0.1
    Didn't see APN setting after edit the file and replaced in setting.

Edit:
    After couple reboots and took sim out then all the sudden cell data show up and it's working now.

Thanks
    Last edited by randy_c; 01-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.

It was and has been working for months. Today I upgraded miTime. And since then I can't receive mms. I can send just fine. Just can't receive. I don't get any indication that I received anything.
    I've reset data setting.
    I did like the first page instructed.
    I installed the pushfix tmobile mms fix.
    Nothing will allow me to get mms anymore. But again it sends fine!
    Could it be a temperary error for my phone line? Will I get like 30 mms messages at once later on today possibly? Its driving me insane.
    Btw I did the pushfix mms install to my wife and moms iPhones and theirs work fine. It's just mine.

On my 3GS 4.0.1 I have the following settings:

Celluar Data
    APN: internet2.voicestream.com
    UserName: <blank>
    Password: <blank>

MMS
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    UserName: <blank>
    Password: <blank>
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

And I get every MMS perfectly fine. My sister has 3.1 and has the same settings but it says the picture is too big every time she receives a MMS.

help?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast