Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help me jailbreak/unlock my 3g correctly - the FIRST time

Default Help me jailbreak/unlock my 3g correctly - the FIRST time
    Hello. iPhone newbie here, just picked up a virgin 3g from someone off of craigslist.

Model a1241
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    never unlocked or jailbroken

And it has some OLD firmware and modem software

Version Version 2.2.1 (5H11)
    Modem Firmware 02.30.03

Can someone list the correct steps for me to take if I want to use this with my T-Mobile sim card, I have an Unlimited Voice/Text and if I can use the data part with the iPhone I will add whatever I need to, was hoping you guys could let me know what I will need to tell the customer service ppl on *611.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

WOW. 2.2.1 is really old. You wanna update to the newest version in iTunes (4.0) and then jailbreak + unlock.

Google itunes and download the version for your OS
    Plug in your iPhone, back up your data and upgrade to firmware 4.0
    download redsn0w windows: http://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev..._0.9.5b5-3.zip
    mac: http://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev..._0.9.5b5-3.zip

Then download the 4.0 GM IPSW to run with redsn0w:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TK8ZUXHB

Run redsn0w and load the IPSW when prompted. Then follow instructions to go into DFU mode.

NOTE: after updating to 4.0, you will get a "Connect to iTunes" screen - don't freak out. The jailbreak will stop this.

After you jailbreak, go into cydia and search for ultrasn0w. That's it (you need a wifi connection though).

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by adp; 06-22-2010 at 12:22 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

tsandershsa (06-22-2010)

Default So....
    I was under the impression that it was a good idea to stay away from 4.0 until it has been proven to work correctly for a good length of time...ect ect ect.

Thanks

I upgraded my 3G to 4.0 and it runs a lot smoother than any 3.x.x FW. And even if you wanted to upgrade to one of the old firmwares, iTunes won't let you (they got rid of the shift-restore option). There's a bunch of people that have 3G's that upgraded and unlocked with no issues. It's only the 3GS and iPod touch 2G owners that are told to hold on. Your choice

I'm trying to do what adp said but redsn0w says "Unable to recognize specified IPSW"

Anyone know why?

I don't have an AT&T sim card either.

Adp - is there any reason u recommend the GM instead of the official 4.0? It just seems easier than having to download another ipsw, plus the official version is a little different compared to the GM.
    Also alt-restore works fine in osx on 9.2 iTunes, maybe they mapped it to a different key in windows?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbou91 View Post
    I'm trying to do what adp said but redsn0w says "Unable to recognize specified IPSW"

Anyone know why?

I don't have an AT&T sim card either.
    Then go do a search in your C drive and type in "ipsw" and you should get a file that is named "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw" - copy this and paste it in your desktop. Then run reds0w and it should recognize it (note: this file should be under C: \Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates) in Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    Adp - is there any reason u recommend the GM instead of the official 4.0? It just seems easier than having to download another ipsw, plus the official version is a little different compared to the GM.
    Also alt-restore works fine in osx on 9.2 iTunes, maybe they mapped it to a different key in windows?
    The GM version has the same build and redsn0w 2-b recognized it and I used that to jailbreak my phone. But apparently 3-b only recognizes the official one. The OS will be the same though.
    Last edited by adp; 06-23-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Game center was removed from the official release, and a few users were having problems with programs not recognizing it as a ios4 device. (I forgot which ones, but take a look at the jailbreak/unlock info page on the front, it states the official copy is slighty different, disregarding the same build number

Thanks

Yea I did notice that the gaming center was taken off...but I didn't use the GM to run my OS, just for the jailbreak. I still updated through iTunes with the official release