+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wife frustrated w/ 2G not working right w/ tmobile and mmc's

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi there, just a little background. Gave the wife my old 2g for use with tmobile. It's unlocked, running 3.1.3, and has the patch to allow mmc messages. She has
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Wife frustrated w/ 2G not working right w/ tmobile and mmc's
    Hi there,
    just a little background. Gave the wife my old 2g for use with tmobile. It's unlocked, running 3.1.3, and has the patch to allow mmc messages. She has an old samsung query phone with contract that runs out in february. I thought I had this thing working good for her more once but she's been complaining that half the time mmc's from others don't come thru. I've checked and changed the network settings a few times according to the website's settings for tmobile. The ones I send to her go thru fine immediately. She can send me picture messages and I get them. But others at her work send to her and she either never gets them all or they may sometimes come thru an hour later. Well I just bought her a 3gs on eBay today since the unlock just came out today. I did install the tmobile USA pack from cydia for the 2g. I thought she would be excited about the new phone but she's disgusted with the picture messages not being reliable for the iPhone with tmo. Can I expect any better luck with the 3gs on tmobile once I get it? Thanks.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by conqst99 View Post
    Hi there,
    just a little background. Gave the wife my old 2g for use with tmobile. It's unlocked, running 3.1.3, and has the patch to allow mms messages. She has an old samsung query phone with contract that runs out in february. I thought I had this thing working good for her more once but she's been complaining that half the time mms messages from others don't come thru. I've checked and changed the network settings a few times according to the website's settings for tmobile. The ones I send to her go thru fine immediately. She can send me picture messages and I get them. But others at her work send to her and she either never gets them all or they may sometimes come thru an hour later. Well I just bought her a 3gs on eBay today since the unlock just came out today. I did install the tmobile USA pack from cydia for the 2g. I thought she would be excited about the new phone but she's disgusted with the picture messages not being reliable for the iPhone with tmo. Can I expect any better luck with the 3gs on tmobile once I get it? She doesn't use the data plan so I think I can turn off data roaming even though I've read from some people here that it needs to be turned on for tmobile to work for mms messages? I tried different APN's as well. Just would like to know the correct settings that DO work for mms on tmobile and the file size limitations. I think I had the proxy right. Thanks.
    Dave
    I meant MMS messages above, not MMC.
    Last edited by conqst99; 06-22-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

adp
    Thanks

You should...unless it's a network related issue which no one can control. I know AT&T had those problems but I've had good experiences with T-mobile and MMS. Make sure you don't use the 2G bundle on the 3GS though.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    You should...unless it's a network related issue which no one can control. I know AT&T had those problems but I've had good experiences with T-mobile and MMS. Make sure you don't use the 2G bundle on the 3GS though.
    Hi and thank you for the reply! Any suggestions as to what step is first once I get the 3GS? I plan to JB it with spirit (its on 3.1.3) and then use the new blacksnow to unlock it. Hopefully there will be no issues there. But the issue for me is getting the thing working right for tmobile. Nobody seems to have issues anymore with them from what I've read. I've seen different settings from different posters. With the 2G, I had alot of problems getting MMS working on it since its not native, but the 3GS has it built in so hopefully things will go smoother. She'd actually rather take back her old cheap phone with 1.3 mp camera than the most popular phone in the world (in my opinion). I don't think I need to set the data roaming to "ON" for tmobile to work without data do I?

adp
    Thanks

Yes, you can use spirit or redsn0w to jailbreak 3.1.3. All basebands have now been unlocked so there's no issue with that either. I used redsn0w and ultrasn0w when I was on 3.1.3. Remember to stay away from 4.0 until 3GS phones have been cleared with a usable jailbreak (unlock already out for 3GS, but no jailbreak yet). After that, you just have to download a carrier bundle according to your data plan - I can point you to the right one if you tell me which one you have

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Yes, you can use spirit or redsn0w to jailbreak 3.1.3. All basebands have now been unlocked so there's no issue with that either. I used redsn0w and ultrasn0w when I was on 3.1.3. Remember to stay away from 4.0 until 3GS phones have been cleared with a usable jailbreak (unlock already out for 3GS, but no jailbreak yet). After that, you just have to download a carrier bundle according to your data plan - I can point you to the right one if you tell me which one you have
    Any preference of Spirit or Redsn0w? I used Spirit on my own 3GS - quick and painless. Ultrasn0w is the new unlock for the 3GS on 05.12.01 correct? I'm not planning on upgrading to 4.0 on either 3gs as I don't wanna be screwed if something is overlooked and we find out we can't get a jailbreak after all. Although 4.0 looks awesome from what I've read. As far as your last statement, what do you mean by data plan? She has the National Business Plan 300 with 300 whenever minutes and any 400 domestic messages. She doesn't have the data plan (forget the name they use). Any help on the package I need to download and install would be awesome, then I wouldn't need to key in the individual numbers for the settings manually correct? Thanks so much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by conqst99 View Post
    Any preference of Spirit or Redsn0w? I used Spirit on my own 3GS - quick and painless. Ultrasn0w is the new unlock for the 3GS on 05.12.01 correct? I'm not planning on upgrading to 4.0 on either 3gs as I don't wanna be screwed if something is overlooked and we find out we can't get a jailbreak after all. Although 4.0 looks awesome from what I've read. As far as your last statement, what do you mean by data plan? She has the National Business Plan 300 with 300 whenever minutes and any 400 domestic messages. She doesn't have the data plan (forget the name they use). Any help on the package I need to download and install would be awesome, then I wouldn't need to key in the individual numbers for the settings manually correct? Thanks so much for your help!
    These are the settings I believe I using when I was having trouble:
    https://support.my.t-mobile.com/doc/tm10161.xml
    Last edited by conqst99; 06-22-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

adp
    Thanks

Oh ok. Don't use the T-mobile's site settings, they're garbage. I would go with ultrasn0w since it's confirmed to unlock all basebands.

Once you get it unlocked, go into cydia and search for "T-mobile US Postpaid/flexpaid" and download the first result. This will enable sending/receiving of high-res MMS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK thanks. I'll do that as soon as I get the new phone (probably end of week). I believe I did download that pack the second time around but there were two packages listed in Cydia and both said the same thing for the description. I think I may have installed the second one. What's the difference, they both said Tmobile US Postpaid I thought?

adp
    Thanks

The second one's for the blackberry plan, which is probably why it was giving you issues