+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrading from 2g to 3gs

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi guys... I am currently using a 16gb 2g iPhone on T-mobile. It's also jailbroken and am using both ROCK and Cydia. I just purchased a 32 gb 3gs from
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default upgrading from 2g to 3gs
    Hi guys...
    I am currently using a 16gb 2g iPhone on T-mobile. It's also jailbroken and am using both ROCK and Cydia. I just purchased a 32 gb 3gs from eBay that is unlocked and jailbroken already. What is the easiest way to get all my stuff loaded onto the new phone? If anyone can provide step by step instructions that would be awesome! I am well aware I do not want to upgrade my iTunes which will upgrade the baseband to make it unlockable.

Thanks so much for the help!

adp
    Thanks

Just sync your current phone to iTunes and right click the phone. Click on "Back Up". Then when you plug in your 3GS, select "Restore from backup" and click on the latest restore date.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

musiclover408 (06-19-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Just sync your current phone to iTunes and right click the phone. Click on "Back Up". Then when you plug in your 3GS, select "Restore from backup" and click on the latest restore date.
    Wow that seems just too easy. Anything I need to be extra careful about now that I have the 3gs?

Thanks!

adp
    Thanks

Just don't upgrade to 3.1.3. Ever. 4.0 is coming out next week, and don't upgrade that either until the front page confirms your 3GS is jailbroken + unlocked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Just don't upgrade to 3.1.3. Ever. 4.0 is coming out next week, and don't upgrade that either until the front page confirms your 3GS is jailbroken + unlocked.
    Cool, thanks for the advice. What do you mean when you say "until the front page says your 3GS is jailbroken and unlocked"?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Check the modmyi front page and the dev-team's blog often when iOS 4 drops.

adp
    Thanks

Yea, iOS 4 is coming out this monday. You will see jailbreaks coming in soon after. Unlocks may come at the same time but usually take a bit longer. In the front page, you will see tutorials to jailbreak/unlock. Make sure you read that the unlock posted unlocks the iPhone 3GS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awesome news...I appreciate all the help and look forward to using "my" new iPhone!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another question that maybe someone can help with. Can I have Apple care on an iPhone that is being using with T-mobile and not AT&T??

Thanks!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yup, u just have to restore the phone, before bringing it in (in iTunes, just hit restore) if the phone doesn't even turn on, your fine. If they cant prove your jailbroken/unlocked, they'll replace your device right then and there

adp
    Thanks

To add to the comment above, you have to have an AT&T sim card to activate the phone. When you restore you will get the "connect to iTunes" screen which only can be removed by jailbreaking.