Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: canadian unlocked iphone + tmobile usa = 3g?

Default canadian unlocked iphone + tmobile usa = 3g?
    Hello,
    First post, please don't flame, I have done a LOT of forum and web searching and have not found a definitive answer for this question and I (hopefully) will have hundreds of dollars riding on the decision so I'd like a good answer.

I am a USA T-Mobile'r and I use the $5.99 T-Zones data. I'd love to drive to Canada and buy an unlocked 4G but my question is this: will I be able to use 3G here on Tmobile usa? I currently have an iphone 3g and can only use EDGE (due to the frequency difference) but what about the canadian phones?

thanks!

Sorry, nope. All the iPhones are built with the same frequencies. The US tmobile uses an odd frequency that iPhone does not support.

Thanks

All iPhone 4's (regardless of where they're sold) have the same quad-band 3G frequency. Which is still not compatible with T-mobile's.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

thank you guys... that is what i suspected but had heard otherwise from a friend, but quad band is in fact quad band

THANKS

The quad-band did not bring the odd band that T-Mobile here is on.

Anybody willing to ship a canadian phone to california? name your price

@ journeyman27, everyone here pretty much summed it up. Unlocked or not, your limited to EDGE here in the states.
    The really sad part is that the iPhone 4 has a pentaband 3G radio which means it plays nice with pretty much EVERY other 3G network in the world including Japan...
    One day we shall see a 3G symbol next to our beloved Magenta!
    Last edited by iBrando; 06-16-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I live in Indiana and I am planning to drive up to Windsor to pick me up an iPhone 4 next month. I can pick up another one while I am up there.

Also I have solved the whole no 3g issue. You can see what I did here
    Great alternative to AT&T 3G and T-mobile EDGE

@alink1015, that's crazy! I was gonna do the exact same thing! I honestly will pay more to two different companies than switch to AT&T. They are just not a good company to do business with.

How much out right would the 16 gig be in Canada? I could just do the 8 hour trip up to there and grab one. Make it a semi vacation. But then again I will need to get my passport; which would be an added wait.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    How much out right would the 16 gig be in Canada? I could just do the 8 hour trip up to there and grab one. Make it a semi vacation. But then again I will need to get my passport; which would be an added wait.
    Per Messany (who sourced Apple.com Canada) :

expect to cough up $649 (16GB) or $749 (32GB) in Canada
    Attention UK, France, Canada! Apple Confirms Unlocked SIM-Free iPhones

After conversions, $633USD for 16GB, $731USD for 32GB
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

navydaspud (03-14-2011)