+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Switching From AT&T To TMobile What Am I Missing?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey all! I was out of work for the past three months and ATT canceled my line. Even though it was canceled, they told me no phones were under contract,
    Thanks

Default Switching From AT&T To TMobile What Am I Missing?
    Hey all! I was out of work for the past three months and ATT canceled my line. Even though it was canceled, they told me no phones were under contract, when I called back in turns out they billed me two FULL months, saying that even though my phones were disconnected I have to pay. Long story.. point being f*ck ATT! I'm either going to a Droid or try to use my iPhone on TMobile.

I love my iPhone and don't want to give it up, but what will I be loosing by using it on TMobile? I heard they don't have a data plan that works so I can't access the net or send email, is that true? I just need to know what will be different by not having ATT. I know this seems petty but if your reading this please leave me a quick response.

Thanks!
    information wants to be free

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Web will work. Email will work.

Missing features:

1) Visual Voicemail (from the phone app, you can use a free alternative called YouMail if that is of importance to you)

2) No 3G speeds. You will run on EDGE which is slower than 3G. It is not too slow where you can't use web-based apps or surf the web efficiently, but it is noticeable coming from 3G.

Those are the major things missing going to T-Mobile. On the bright side, you can get a data plan for $9.99 monthly (if T-Mobile tells you otherwise, simply go online and change it yourself by selecting "your phone" which they won't know you don't have that is not a smartphone and applying the $9.99 web2go service). Your bill will be significantly lower than what it was on AT&T.

I will be switching to AT&T in 4 months. I want the 3G speeds, especially on the brilliantly beautiful and amazing iPhone 4

adp
    Thanks

You're switching too Anniex! Lol - I'll be preordering tomorrow. It's been 6 long years wit T-mo but the iPhone 4 and my contract ending finally made me change my mind
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Oh yeah, you know it. I've been dealing with loading a 3 minute YouTube video for an hour for a over a year now. I can only take so much, lol! Like you said somewhere else I think, I'll miss T-Mobile's awesome customer service, but without 3G on a new iPhone 4 would be so so sad.

Unfortunately, I still have 4 months before I can get out and not violate my Wirefly contract.

adp
    Thanks

Lol word on the customer service. I just spoke with an
    AT&T rep today and felt like I was talking to some hobo down the street (no offense). Terrible service. But like you said, iPhone 4 with no 3G...a lot to miss out when on the road

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am also with Tmobile and me and my husband have unlocked Iphones 3g, and they said we need the smart phone data plan? That true? in order for the web to work and email etc MMS? or can I simply go into mytmobile>my phone and change it to the 9.99 for both lines? Just want to know if it will affect my plan since its a family plan?

adp
    Thanks

You don't need the smartphone plan. Go into Customer Service Chat through mytmobile.com and add it. But DO NOT mention you have an iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    You don't need the smartphone plan. Go into Customer Service Chat through mytmobile.com and add it. But DO NOT mention you have an iPhone
    haha. yeah. mentioning an iphone would not be good. Anniex423 pretty much summed it all up. Edge speed isn't 3G, but it's not the worst.

Thanks

Adp and i are switching though lol. We are starting to not like EDGE :/

I think the extra few dollars is worth it for me.

adp
    Thanks

Yea I actually get the 15% employer discount, so I'll end up paying $18 more for AT&T. Not too bad considering I'll get 3G and all the perks. If you see it, you get the phone at a much lower price than if you bought it with no contract, so you end up saving more with AT&T if you play your cards right.

Say your AT&T expenses average $20+/month, then that's 240/year, 480 for 2 years.

If you buy your phone off eBay, expect to pay $300-400 more for it. This is where the money equalizes. Add selling the phone for over 1/2 it's price after 2 years, and it makes sense. I literally just sold my 3G under an hour after posting in craigslist for $200 (not bad for a 16Gb).

Thanks

Somebody got a good deal off you. In my area, 3G 8GB goes for about $220-275 depending on the condition. 2G sells for $175-$200 here. Shouldve sold your phone to me! Lol.

Anyhow, do you happen to know for someone like me (on my iphone surfing the web, watching youtube all the time) if i would go over the 2GB web?

Im a bit paranoid about that as I always have unlimited web and I never feared going over. How much really is 2GB in terms of web surfing and youtube watching and game playing (for web-based games) if I spend 10 hours using data and of course the rest of my awake hours on wifi?

I read an article that gave a pretty good estimate but i just dont know how much I really use. Something like the 2GB plan gives you about 40,000 pages loaded on web, 180 (i think not sure) minutes of youtube watching, 1500 emails with attachments, 10,000 single paged emails, etc...

That sounds like a lot and I do a lot of those things. Is it really a lot? I think im gonna count how many times I load web pages now...
    Last edited by i.Annie; 06-15-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

adp
    Thanks

I use slacker radio on my commute every day, have my phone check my e-mail every 15 minutes, use plenty of EDGE for safari, and my T-mobile bill still says I'm around 400mb average. Have you checked how much you use? Go to mytmobile.com and see one of your old bills. Then see the details for data and it'll tell you the total Mb's you've used

Thanks

I didnt know i could check that. Cool thx for the info. Id push the thanks button if i wasnt on my iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Can you do a data plan with pay as you go? I got an imbecile on the mytmobile.com chat just now. Said can't do data on that phone, then said $1.99/hour data??? I asked about $9.99 and they said I would need a regular account or flex plan.

adp
    Thanks

Yes you definitely need the minimum voice plan for $29.99 to get the $9.99 plan. It's the same price as the "internet-only" plan for $40 but with 500minutes of voice
    Last edited by adp; 06-22-2010 at 05:27 PM.