+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some basic questions about moving to T-Mobile

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm getting an iPhone 4, so I'll have my old iPhone 3G available. Right now I've got another phone with T-Mobile that I'd like to switch over to the old
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Some basic questions about moving to T-Mobile
    I'm getting an iPhone 4, so I'll have my old iPhone 3G available. Right now I've got another phone with T-Mobile that I'd like to switch over to the old iPhone for use around the house. I don't need a data plan.

I've read that AT&T will not unlock an iPhone for any reason. Is this correct, even though I'm out of the contract and have paid for the phone? I assume there's other ways to do it other than from AT&T?

If I get it working with T-Mobile, can I still access the app store and/or use iTunes? Or am I stuck with jailbreaking procedures and Cydia? Thanks for any help.

adp
    Thanks

No, AT&T will not unlock a phone regardless. The only legally unlocked phones you can buy are from Hong Kong and they are ridiculously over priced. Easiest way is to unlock yourself. The cheapest voice plan T-mobile offers is the Even More Plus, 500minutes for 29.99. Since you will not have a data plan, you will be able to access the app store, iTunes and Cydia with Wifi only.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've already got a T-Mobile phone, so assuming I unlock the iPhone, is it as simple as switching the SIM card, or do I need to call T-Mobile and tell them what I've done?

Can I still sync with iTunes with an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone?

adp
    Thanks

Lol no you don't have to call T-mobile. Just unlock and insert your SIM card. You can sync with iTunes with an unlock phone with no problems

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

twentw (06-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    The only legally unlocked phones you can buy are from Hong Kong and they are ridiculously over priced.
    Um... you might want to check your facts... by my count according to a list on apple's website (Locating iPhone wireless carriers) there are at least 23 countries that you can get factory unlocked iPhones from... and that does not include the carriers that will unlock them for you... But, yes, to buy the unlocked iPhones in the US it is expensive...

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eremeya View Post
    Um... you might want to check your facts... by my count according to a list on apple's website (Locating iPhone wireless carriers) there are at least 23 countries that you can get factory unlocked iPhones from... and that does not include the carriers that will unlock them for you... But, yes, to buy the unlocked iPhones in the US it is expensive...
    I know there's a bunch of countries that have the unlocked phones. But if you go in eBay 90% of the ones on sale are from Hong Kong

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First, be sure that when you jailbreak the iPhone that you activate the phone also. Then you can unlock it and use any SIM card. Make sure you read all the instructions available on the net.

Jaibreaking the phone isn't the problem, but when it comes to unlocking your baseband version will be very important.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I know there's a bunch of countries that have the unlocked phones. But if you go in eBay 90% of the ones on sale are from Hong Kong
    LOL they are, aren't they? $800+ for a $600 phone, it's unfortunate that people actually make that purchase.

adp
    Thanks

Yea mainly lazy people who can't bare a 30 second unlock

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I actually wanted to get a factory unlocked so I didn't have to worry about all the baseband preservation and whatnot. Considering how I'm switching to AT&T in a few months though it's kind of not worth the extra $300 lol.