Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So...is it safe to switch June 24th?

Default So...is it safe to switch June 24th?
    I've decided I'm not dealing with unlocks/jailbreaks any longer, it's just to complicated and stressful for me. On Monday's keynote, Steve Jobs said SQUAT about any new carriers so is it safe to assume that AT&T will still be carrying the iPhone ONLY in the US and just go ahead and switch over on the 24th or is it possible there is stil a secret or two that Jobs is not letting out of the hat until right before it's released?

Also as a new customer (of AT&T), can I also pre-order on the 15th as a new customer or do pre-orders only work for current AT&T customers. If this has been said already I apologize as I must have missed it somewhere.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 06-10-2010 at 11:32 PM.

The cat is out of the bag, the new iPhone can't even support T-Mobile, so its safe to say there will be no carrier change here in the US.

I'm not 100% sure about the pre-order thing. But i do know you can make the jump right now if you'd like. If you have an iPhone already, you can go in and start a plan without signing any contract, so once the 15th comes, you can preorder as an existing customer, and still get the new iPhone for the discounted price.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Just sign up on the 15th

babyblue, why do you say that the new Iphone does not even support
    T-mobile. the IPhone uses 2100 mhz frequency as does ATT and T-Mobile
    MacRumors' iPhone Blog: iPhone Apps, News, Rumors, and More... about half way down the page.
    I had checked out the freq before and always found that statement
    to be funny. I think the reason T-Mobile does not support the Iphone
    officially is do to "legal" issues regarding ATT.
    BTW I'm on T-mobile, but do not have a real need for 3g or 4g at
    this time, but I do like my Iphone...3g jb 3.1.2
    Dayvid, JB your Iphone is really not that hard, if I could do
    it i'm sure you can..Best
    wish I could afford the ATT contract, or maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman58 View Post
    babyblue, why do you say that the new Iphone does not even support
    T-mobile. the IPhone uses 2100 mhz frequency as does ATT and T-Mobile
    MacRumors' iPhone Blog: iPhone Apps, News, Rumors, and More... about half way down the page.
    I had checked out the freq before and always found that statement
    to be funny. I think the reason T-Mobile does not support the Iphone
    officially is do to "legal" issues regarding ATT.
    BTW I'm on T-mobile, but do not have a real need for 3g or 4g at
    this time, but I do like my Iphone...3g jb 3.1.2
    Dayvid, JB your Iphone is really not that hard, if I could do
    it i'm sure you can..Best
    wish I could afford the ATT contract, or maybe not...
    Tmobile requires both 2100 and 1700 for their 3g, the iPhone does not have a 1700 band. The reason tmobile does not support the iPhone is because Apple makes a BUTT LOAD of their money from being exclusive with ATT here in america. If Apple decided to support T-Mobile 3g, AT&T would sue apple for sure.

And dayvid is in need of an unlock, not a jailbreak.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

It's not that jb's and unlocks are hard to do, it's that you have to wait until one is ready, I'm just over all of that. As far as expense goes, it's only 10 bucks more a month if you go with AT&T verses T-Mobile with AT&T's new data plan cuts.

My bill with T-Mobile right now is 65 bucks a month (including tax), with AT&T it would be 10 bucks a month more...I'm not going to whine about that as it's really chump change compared to the 30 plus it was before they changed stuff. Why stay with T-Mobile for such a small difference?

I'm ready to be legal!

Oh...not to mention I'm tired of have EDGE speeds...I just can't stand it any longer lol!
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 06-11-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I'm with you on that. I'll be switching on Tuesday on pre-order. Good luck
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

For me, it wasn't about being legal - I was an AT&T customer as well as a T-Mo customer. Where I live (in L.A.), the iPhone simply wouldn't hang onto a call on AT&T for more than a few minutes. It was infuriating. Once I unlocked and put my T-Mo sim in the phone, I have been able to TALK on my phone with dropped calls being extremely rare. I have no problem paying the AT&T price, but won't move back over until I see how the iPhone 4 works on AT&T in my area. I'll just have to be patient for a little bit longer...

Thanks

The main reason for AT&T's dropped calls was that every time the iPhone switched from EDGE voice to 3G voice, it would hang up. I hope they fixed it in the new phone, although I'm lucky enough to have 100% 3G coverage 100 miles radius of where I live

Yup...it's nice living in DC! 3G galore!

I'm not positive but I don't think jailbreaking is illegal. Pirating apps is illegal though. ; )

im staying on tmobile it shoudlnt be that hard to unlock since its still just software..

Default On T-Mobile and STAYING on T-Mobile
    Why are there people saying that the new iphone 4 will not be able to be used on T-mobile? Of course it will. Just as all the other previous iPhones. The only difference is the micro sim. With a simple scissor and precision, all will be fine. The Jailbreak AND unlock will be released as later on release day.

For me, i dont mind not having the "3G" speeds. I just enjoy having a smart phone run on t-mobile paying $65 for UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. I'd be lying if i told you that i wasnt curious about ATT rates and again, after checking 2 days ago, ATT's rates are OUT OF CONTROL. No more unlimited Data, $139 for 1400 min and 2GB of data. NO THANKS.

I will be dropping the $599 and save money in the end.

Hmm...yeah if you are going with all those minutes then of course I can see why you would stay with T-Mobile. For me I'm only getting the 450 plan with AT&T (I have Ooma at home and most of my calls are done nights anyways.) 450 anytime is more then enough for me during peek hours per month. So for me again, it's only 10 bucks more to go with AT&T and adding the 200MB data (I'm always on WiFi anyways) and 1500 texts.

Again, why cry about 10 bucks?

Got my credit card out ready to pre-order in less then 48 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by zappamann View Post
    Why are there people saying that the new iphone 4 will not be able to be used on T-mobile? Of course it will. Just as all the other previous iPhones. The only difference is the micro sim. With a simple scissor and precision, all will be fine. The Jailbreak AND unlock will be released as later on release day.

For me, i dont mind not having the "3G" speeds. I just enjoy having a smart phone run on t-mobile paying $65 for UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. I'd be lying if i told you that i wasnt curious about ATT rates and again, after checking 2 days ago, ATT's rates are OUT OF CONTROL. No more unlimited Data, $139 for 1400 min and 2GB of data. NO THANKS.

Oh and dude...it will take you well over a year to make up the savings by sticking with T-Mobile and paying full price for the iPhone rather then just switching...in the end your still paying for it either way lol. SWITCH!
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 06-14-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zappamann View Post

First of all, no one said the iPhone 4 would not be compatible with T-mobile. All that was implied is that 3G will still not work. And yes, T-mobile is definitely much cheaper and I am going to miss it since they have such good customer service and I've had them for over 6 years (2 w/iPhone). But it's just a pain to not have 3G in my circumstance. I constantly listen to Slacker Radio, and EDGE is really annoying. It's been driving me crazy, dropping connection all the time, speeds ridiculously slow(er) at 4 or less bars. AT&T is not for everyone, but personally with the new iPhone, it's time for me to switch

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Hmm...yeah if you are going with all those minutes then of course I can see why you would stay with T-Mobile. For me I'm only getting the 450 plan with AT&T (I have Ooma at home and most of my calls are done nights anyways.) 450 anytime is more then enough for me during peek hours per month. So for me again, it's only 10 bucks more to go with AT&T and adding the 200MB data (I'm always on WiFi anyways) and 1500 texts.

Again, why cry about 10 bucks?

Got my credit card out ready to pre-order in less then 48 hours!

Oh and dude...it will take you well over a year to make up the savings by sticking with T-Mobile and paying full price for the iPhone rather then just switching...in the end your still paying for it either way lol. SWITCH!
    Your comparing the worst possible ATT plan, with a fully unlimited plan from tmobile...

att plan = 150$
    tmobile = 80$

2 years to date(typical ATT contract), you will spend 3,600$'s with att,
    and only 1,920$ with tmobile.

considering theres only a 400$ price saving on the phone and you have NO CONTRACT, the price difference between tmobile and att is still substantial.

Thanks

I agree. In the unlimited vs. unlimited plans, T-mobile wins by a stretch in lower pricing. But since I'm not interested in that, I would compare the Even More Plus 500min vs. AT&T Rollover US 450min. This with unlimited data (2Gb w/AT&T and unlimited text).

Even More Plus
    500 minutes + text + data = $59.99

AT&T Rollover 450
    450 minutes $33
    iPhone unlimited Text $20
    2Gb data = $25
    Total = $78

So in the end it's about $18/month more which is $216/year. Again, this is for the lowest minutes in the spectrum, which suites me. If you ask me, I think $18/month is worth for the 3G. I live off Slacker Radio and other apps and I truly think that the speed is important.

Also, I'm buying the phone for $199. If I didn't sign a contract, I'd be paying at least $600 for it (craigslist or eBay). Which means I'm saving $400 by switching. So It'll be a little under 2 years for the T-mobile savings to be equal (going by the $216/year savings). After 2 years I'll probably switch phones again. So this is my reasoning for switching.
    Last edited by adp; 06-14-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Well some people have to pay a 500 dollar security deposit with AT&T. Don't forget about that.

Thanks

Yeah, depending on your credit though lol. But I wouldn't count that because eventually you'll receive that money back.

Here is what I think.

There have been rumors that Verizon iPhone is coming in Nov. (it's been around for a while according to order placed to a chinese company).

AT&T is being extremely generous with their upgrade (anyone with expiring contract in 2010 can get an iPhone with 2 year extension)

Why would AT&T do this? My guess is to keep those people that has a possibility of leaving AT&T for Verizon iPhone when it comes out in Nov.

That's my guess anyway.

And check out how I set up my iPhone. My monthly premium is $59+$5 for 5 GB data on verizon, 1800 shared minutes, unlimited text

Great alternative to AT&T 3G and T-mobile EDGE
    Last edited by alnk1015; 06-14-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast