+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wonder when iphone 4 can be unlocked for T-mobile

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have T-moble almost 5-6 yrs now and really don't want to leave T-mobile cuz I have great service plan. I wonder when the iphone 4 will be unlocked to
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wonder when iphone 4 can be unlocked for T-mobile
    I have T-moble almost 5-6 yrs now and really don't want to leave T-mobile cuz I have great service plan. I wonder when the iphone 4 will be unlocked to use on T-mobile or is there any unlock version out there to be purchased?
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-08-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

There are always legally unlocked iPhones out there, but be ready to spend a lot of money on it. 800-1000 USD would be a safe bet. The only problem I can think of right now is how to work around the Micro SIM. I wonder if all I have to do is sculpt my SIM to a small Micro size.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Edited your title and post. There is no such thing as an iPhone "4G"! It's just "4". AT&T doesn't have a 4G network.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unlaced View Post
    There are always legally unlocked iPhones out there, but be ready to spend a lot of money on it. 800-1000 USD would be a safe bet. The only problem I can think of right now is how to work around the Micro SIM. I wonder if all I have to do is sculpt my SIM to a small Micro size.
    yes

Of course the iphone 4 will be unlocked...
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you check ebay, they have people bidding for the iphone 4 now. man. You probably can grab one under $1000 in Ebay but I have no idea when we can unlock it for tmobile or other carriers.

adp
    Thanks

It will probably be unlocked eventually, but don't be surprised if it requires a tethered jailbreak.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

That actually /would/ be a surprise considering GeoHot has an iBoot exploit lined up already. He was going to release it via Limera1n for the iPad but everyone decided the userland jailbreak by Comex via Sprit would be best to release first and save the iBoot exploit for the iPhone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

look on the ebay, the preorder unlocked version for the iphone 4 went up to $1225. way over price. I hope the unlock available soon so I can get one from craigslist

adp
    Thanks

Well, Apple says they've been working on this for 18 months (which makes you realize they knew about this phone before even releasing the 3GS). Who knows what new bootloader or other new feature they've added against jailbreaking. I'm all for jailbreaking, but it might be more complicated this time. Hopefully the DevTeam/Geohot score again.

Thanks

Steve Jobs also said last week the iPad was designed before the iPhone and shelved so as you can see security hasn't really gotten all that much better

adp
    Thanks

lol I hope you're right. One thing Apple missed on is QuickReply for texts. One of the most useful widgets jailbreaking offers. I wonder if this is one of the "100's" of new features of iOS4.

Thanks

I totally agree with you! That's a HUUUGE reason to jailbreak. The zillions of texts people get while in apps these days... it's major pain to exist your app.. check your text... resume your app. ZZZZZz.. i'm bored and pissed just trying to explain how retarded it is lol.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm wondering too how hard it'll be to unlock. I've been with tmobile since 2003 and I love their customer service. Tho I think I'm Gunna sign with AT&T and try them for a month or so. Hopefully I'll know within 30 days of it's release wether or not it'll be able to be unlocked.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    lol I hope you're right. One thing Apple missed on is QuickReply for texts. One of the most useful widgets jailbreaking offers. I wonder if this is one of the "100's" of new features of iOS4.
    in-app texting was listed as one of the features of 4.0

and i doubt it'll be a tethered jailbreak... (the only reason it was tethered in the first place was because people wanted to wait for the iPad / iPhone 4, i rather wait a week or two, for a real jailbreak, than some nonsense that can't be restarted)

But i also don't doubt apple doing a mid-cycle update + 64GB memory update (like they did with the first gen iPhone)
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

adp
    Thanks

Yea I personally don't need more than 16GB (thanks to internet radio) but since the iPhone 4 will have HD Video recording, I'll choose the 32GB to be safe. The reason why they didn't include the 64GB is because of space, so I don't think they'll be upgrading that until next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

How much do you guys think a factory unlocked iPhone 4 will cost (not on eBay but on other online sites)? Is it going to take longer for factory unlocked to be released or the software unlock?

Im not asking for exact answers, just some opinions

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    How much do you guys think a factory unlocked iPhone 4 will cost (not on eBay but on other online sites)? Is it going to take longer for factory unlocked to be released or the software unlock?

Im not asking for exact answers, just some opinions
    Factory unlocked iPhone's are usually just overseas phones (not 100% sure, but i remember in hong kong all the iPhone's were unlocked, same with italy) So its just a matter of time Apple decides to start shipping to all those other countries that don't have a main iPhone provider. i'm thinking july. They'll probably cost a little more than they do here w/o a contract, ~700$, but shipping and taxes all types of other fun stuff comes into play.

I feel software unlock will be best for the time being because it will be out much sooner, and you can still play with your device without it being unlocked. Then if you want to be really safe, just sell your phone as an unlocked one, and buy a factory unlocked one when its hit all the other countries.

adp
    Thanks

I think they'll run a LOT more than $700. Factory unlocked 3G are currently selling on ebay for $5-600. It's ridiculously overpriced compared to what a 3G is currently truly worth. Just get a regular iPhone 4 and jailbreak/unlock yourself. Have faith in the dev/geohot

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ebay prices are always outragous, its american people buying something they cant get in america...

you have to contact the*foreign *company directly, fly out and pick one up, or make friends with someone going out there. (or pay more for someone to do it for you, ebay)

my dad bought a factory unlocked one while in japan for around 400$, just because he accidently updates all the time, and doesnt really care for jailbreak + he says its more reliable and if he ever has a problem he can just restore in itunes

i on the other hand will use software unlock because it'll be faster, and as long as you don't update before looking on here, your golden. and applecare doesn't cover phones from other countries
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 06-08-2010 at 08:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    yes

Of course the iphone 4 will be unlocked...
    the new iphone 4 used small sim card size so maybe will not fit with t-mobile sim card.