+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible to get iPhone 4 w/o AT&T account?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so I've been asking this question around with no solid answers. I know no one really "knows" for sure but I thought I could ask here. I have tmobile
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Is it possible to get iPhone 4 w/o AT&T account?
    Ok so I've been asking this question around with no solid answers. I know no one really "knows" for sure but I thought I could ask here. I have tmobile and i know it's still early to say wether or not we will even be able to jb/unlock the newest iPhone til It comes out. My 3g I bought off craigslist, so I never actually bought a phone from apple. Anyways I'd like to take the chance and preorder next week but since I've never done it will I most likely need proof of an AT&T account. I was under the impression that u don't need AT&T to purchase full price for like the 3gs. So will non AT&T people be able to preorder u think?

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

This has been asked many times do a search.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

most likely not, unless theres a hack like last year for the 3gs....

your best bet will be to buy one off craigslist a few days after the official release
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks that what I figured. I saw people on eBay already selling there preorders for 1k+. That's insane. It's almost worth it just to sign with AT&T and just pay the ETF.

adp
    Thanks

Those were probably the officially unlocked phones. They're overpriced

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Not that I saw. I noticed all if them were like 899-1400 and non said anything abouut being unlocked. I'm figuring maybe if I go the AT&T route it'll be about the same amount as if I did just walk into apple and purchase it out right. Thanks for ur help
    guys.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    Thanks that what I figured. I saw people on eBay already selling there preorders for 1k+. That's insane. It's almost worth it just to sign with AT&T and just pay the ETF.
    I did this with my current 3gs, everyone wanted 600+ for a 32gb when they first came out... It cost me about 570+ buying from AT&T then canceling, but i knew the phone was brand new with everything

You can buy a 3g or 3gs right now at Best buy without a contract, so maybe you'll be able to buy the 4 there too.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

adp
    Thanks

iPhone 4 prices with no contract:

$599/$699 (16GB/32GB)

Everything you need to know about the iPhone 4
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah I think I'm gunna go the new service route. I mean 299 for the phone, 325 for the ETF and about 70 bucks for a month of service with activation fees and whatnot. It comes to be around what I would pay if I just spent the 699+ tax.

adp
    Thanks

Here's how much you'd pay:

$299 for 32GB iPhone 4
    $325 ETF
    $~70-90 for 1 month of service (with data/text)
    $30 Activation fee

That's around $750 with taxes and fees.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

^ true so it's a hair more then what I'd pay after tax. Lol still better then what they want on eBay .

Thanks
    really, The EFT charges are that high? I was thinking of getting two then canceling the plan and selling one to pay for the fees.
    One thing i don't understand is will the iphone4 work on tmo? I heard it uses a micro sim? how would you use a standard tmo sim for it, or does tmo have microsims if you ask for one? any clarification would be great.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneraz View Post
    really, The EFT charges are that high? I was thinking of getting two then canceling the plan and selling one to pay for the fees.
    One thing i don't understand is will the iphone4 work on tmo? I heard it uses a micro sim? how would you use a standard tmo sim for it, or does tmo have microsims if you ask for one? any clarification would be great.
    In order for the iPhone 4 to work with T-mobile 2 things have to happen:

They have to jailbreak iOS with the new phone

They have to unlock the baseband

Until those two things happen, you will not be able to use it on T-mobile. The iPhones started arriving today so it's only a matter of time before you hear the news (could be good, could be bad).

Yes, AT&T increased their Early Termination Fees from $170 to $325 prior to announcing the iPhone 4 to prevent people from doing what you're doing. So you would bay $750 in ET Fees (plus the cost of the 2 phones, plus one month of service for both phones, plus 2 activation fees).

Regarding the MicroSIM, all you have to do is cut a regular SIM card to make it fit. A microSIM is nothing more than a regular SIM card with a smaller plastic size (chip is the same). There's many guides online that teach you how to do this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

iphoneraz (06-23-2010), okok (06-24-2010)

Thanks
    this is actually pretty much what i wanted to hear. Since the iOS4 has already been jailbroken and unlocked for other iphone models, one can only assume that the iphone4 will be also in the weeks that follow. as far as the cost break down i think i can deal with it...maybe. i will get a 15% discount thru work and no activation fees, so i may have a chance to almost break even after i sell one iphone 4 and another phone i have currently being used by my wife or my 3G if she doesn't want it. thanks for you help. you're right i found plenty of info already on slimming down a reg sim card to fit a microsim slot.

adp
    Thanks

Yea, just be aware that the 15% discount only applies to the voice plan and the data plan. The texting plan/activation fee/phone cost/cancellation fees will not have a 15% discount.

Thanks
    not with my plan, it covers the covers the whole plan and the activation fees are waived. but I'll still pay for the phones and cancellation so its still quite a bit of money.

adp
    Thanks

oh ok. good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I kind of just want to sign up for at&t...you can actually use 3g data with them too. However, after this year the iPhone might be available on t-mobile and others.

adp
    Thanks

Don't count on it though - that's been the "word" for the past 2 years. And be aware that T-mobile will force you to get their smartphone data plan for $34.99, which raises their price as well. I will be an AT&T customer as of today and will pay $60, which is still higher than the $50 I pay with T-mobile. But if the iPhone would be an official T-mobile phone, I'd be forced to drop $9.99 web2go and pay $25 more for data.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

good point adp.

I thought thats why at&t was allowing early upgrades for the iPhone 4, to lock them in for another 2 years.