+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to unlock Iphone 3g for T-mo...Frusterated!

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So I bought an I-phone with hopes that it would work with T-mobile. I am finiding it very ovrewhelming with risks of "bricking" my phone and have spent 2 days
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Trying to unlock Iphone 3g for T-mo...Frusterated!
    So I bought an I-phone with hopes that it would work with T-mobile. I am finiding it very ovrewhelming with risks of "bricking" my phone and have spent 2 days trying to figure out the proper steps to take. I have come to you guys for help.

Here is some things about my phone that should be useful (everything I have found is so outdated...):
    Apple Iphone
    3G
    8G
    modem firmware 02.30.03
    version 2.2.1 (5h11)

Is it possible to unlock this and to get it to work on t-mobile? I'm at the point now where I just want to sell it and get my mone back...

Please HELP!

Thanks!
    -Will

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only problem with that is I dont have 3.1.3... Forgive me if I soung ignorant I just really dont have a clue when it comes to this sorta stuff...

Also do I have to "jailbreak" my phone before I do this? If so can you point me to a jailbreaking tutorial for my phone?
    Last edited by cutnup; 05-28-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

That guide has everything needed to get you updated and unlocked. Including links to the firmwares. And yes you need to be jailbroken to unlock for t-mobile use.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just download firmware 3.1.2 for the iphone 3g here,
    Download the new iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware | Redmond Pie

Then on itunes hold alt + shift and press restore, find the 3.1.2 download and select that.
    Once you done that download blackra1n from blackweather, run it on your iphone and your done

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

No need for outside links when we have a Downloads section here for ipsw's.

Also, going up to 3.1.3 and using Blackra1n can cause wifi, bluetooth, and push notification problems. The push problem is consistent and common. So it is better to do what Cerote suggested.

Edit^ i meant 3.1.2 and Blackra1n
    Last edited by i.Annie; 05-29-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

do what cerote said. He had it right.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

P.S. To Garland, to restore it's just shift+restore, no need to alt. And option+restore for macs.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I know that there is a bunch of information out there that tells you how to unlock and jailbreak every firmware apple has released (which is quite a lot at this point) so just hang in there cause the process is constantly changing. Each time Apple updates, more and more software is released that helps you jailbreak but now many of these programs are obsolete so it's understanding how you are annoyed. You can follow what cerote said but make sure you don't do a straight across update in iTunes (without doing the shift+restore or crl+restore) to 3.1.3 because it updates your baseband to 5.12.01 and you can ruin your chances of unlocking (at least for now) if you do that. If you try the cerote method and get overwhelmed or are unable to do so for some reason, PM me and I can personally step you through a process of least resistance. Just please make sure you don't update to 3.1.3 by going into iTunes and hitting "restore" without selecting a custom firmware that you made. If you don't know what I'm talking about just PM me.
    Last edited by kraziebone; 05-30-2010 at 02:38 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kraziebone For This Useful Post:

cutnup (06-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok I think I ruined it...i got all the way to the part where you have to hit shift/restore in itunes, then select the snowbreeze software update. It starts doing its thing and then about 3 mins in I get a message that says: The iphone "´phone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1602). Idk what to do now...

Thanks

Did you select at the shift+restore a custom firmware you created with Sn0wbreeze?

Not sure if thats what you meant by "Sn0wbreeze software update"???

I mean if that doesnt work you can always fall back on downloading a stock 3.1.2 ipsw from the downloads section here on MMi and doing the shift+restore to it.

You may use Blackra1n to jailbreak and Blacksn0w which comes with Blackra1n to unlock.

For push notication fix afterwards you will need to download Push Doctor (your YouTube might fail as well so Push Doctor will also fix that issue). I would still recommend trying Sn0wbreeze again to avoid the little issues with Blackra1n.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

I would've suggested a 3.0 update because that baseband unlock is more reliable.

Lovely

Not

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

He solved this btw. Just thought I would close out the discussion. Is the 3.0 unlock more reliable? I'd never heard that

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kraziebone For This Useful Post:

cutnup (06-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

use Blackra1n to jailbreak and Blacksn0w which comes with Blackra1n to unlock

benefit for all

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry I didn't update sooner but kraziebone walked me through all the steps (Thanks again bro!!!) We had a really hard time but it was worth it. I just had a chance to come back on and make my internet work. Now I need some apps!!! Any suggestions?