+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will iphone 2g data work on t-mobile 3g network?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I did some searching on this for about a half hour and couldn't find an answer. My wife and I both own iphone 2Gs. They are both unlocked and running
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Will iphone 2g data work on t-mobile 3g network?
    I did some searching on this for about a half hour and couldn't find an answer.

My wife and I both own iphone 2Gs. They are both unlocked and running on t-mobile with the 'tzones' plan option. Well, my wife dropped her iphone in the toilet so now it's on it's last legs. We'll probably be getting her a 3G phone from t-mobile. I'm looking at the plans, and in some cases it's actually less expensive to get 3G for both of us then for just one of us. Will my iphone 2G data work on a 3G t-mobile plan?

Thanks

Brian

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iPhones do NOT support the T-Mobile 3G data frequency, only AT&T!
    EDGE/GPRS data speeds on T-Mobile USA.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianjohn View Post
    I did some searching on this for about a half hour and couldn't find an answer.

My wife and I both own iphone 2Gs. They are both unlocked and running on t-mobile with the 'tzones' plan option. Well, my wife dropped her iphone in the toilet so now it's on it's last legs. We'll probably be getting her a 3G phone from t-mobile. I'm looking at the plans, and in some cases it's actually less expensive to get 3G for both of us then for just one of us. Will my iphone 2G data work on a 3G t-mobile plan?

Thanks

Brian
    When T-Mobile flipped the 3G switch (per se), it enabled 3G on all data plans.

With that said, you will not have access to any 3G speed while using any [current] iPhone on T-Mobile USA's network.

The current iPhones lack band IV (2100 MHz down and 1700 MHz up). And if you didn't guess it, T-Mobile USA uses band IV for their 3G service.

For the iPhone to work with T-Mobile USA (and WIND Mobile), it would need to be quad-band UMTS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, I understand that I won't be able to get 3g network speeds.

Maybe a better way of asking my question is:

With my 2g iphone, when I remove Tzones from my plan and add 3g, will my Internet over Edge continue to work?

Thanks for your help

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok, I understand that I won't be able to get 3g network speeds.

Maybe a better way of asking my question is:

With my 2g iphone, when I remove Tzones from my plan and add 3g, will my Internet over Edge continue to work?

Thanks for your help
    Do not get rid of T-Zones! That is 3G data speeds!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

>Do not get rid of T-Zones! That is 3G data speeds!

What?!!! So does that mean if I buy a 3g T-mobile Android phone that I will be able to get 3g speeds with t-zones and no 3g option on my plan?

adp
    Thanks

What?!!! So does that mean if I buy a 3g T-mobile Android phone that I will be able to get 3g speeds with t-zones and no 3g option on my plan?
    T-Zones will not give you 3G in your iPhone (nothing will with T-mobile). If you get an Android T-zones will not work as T-mobile blocks that and web2go for their "official" phones. When you refer to "add 3G" are you referring to adding a smartphone data plan? There's no such thing as a "3G data plan" on T-mobile - they all have names such as web2go, t-zones, sidekick data, smartphone, etc. But your best bet is to stay with T-zones as it's almost impossible to get these days and is the cheapest way to get data. Try to add T-zones for your wife, and if that doesn't work then just get the $10 web2go unlimited data. And yes, you will get edge speed for safari and all your apps.
    Last edited by adp; 01-27-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yes.

Now for how long that will endure is up to T-Mobile. They may move you up to a smartphone plan immediately or within a couple of days/weeks/months/years.

YMMV