Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newb here, currious about using a 1st gen iphone with a tmobile data plan...

Default Newb here, currious about using a 1st gen iphone with a tmobile data plan...
    so my good friend is willing to sell me one of his unlocked 1st gen iphones for like 75 bucks with the dock,cables etc.

right now i don't have any mobile service, but Ive heard and read mixed messages about if and how well tmobiles various data plans work on the iphone, im a newb here, so im really not sure how to go about this...

first is it possible? second, does it work well or is it nothing but a constant hassle? and three, if it is possible and worth doing what would be the best way to sign up/get a sim card?

i would using there monthly flexpay option along with whatever data plan was appropriate, thanks.

Coverage depends on your area. If you're on the legitimate $24.99 unlimited data or 34.99 Unlimited data/messaging you won't have any service problems outside of any odd outages.

If you don't mind paying those prices bundled with a voice plan (only way to get data with no commitment), you can go to the T-Mobile store and set everything up there.

Lovely

Not

ah ok, so that's a separate service from the web2go for 20 bucks they have?

and they will allow people to go to stores and set up service for iphones..?

If you get the more expensive plan.. if you're trying to get web2go they'll want an IMEI so they know it's a T-Mobile branded dumbphone or the Shadow (only phones allowed on web2go). They're getting stricter now.

Lovely

Not

aha i see, so only if you get the expensive plans can u just go down to a store and get yer iphone all set up. does it work well? or is it not worth doing at those prices?

It works great.. reliable. The 34.99 plan is a great value if you text and use data a lot, otherwise just getting the unlimited data and 300 messages for 4.99 is a better setup.

Lovely

Not

well its good to know that i can go to a tmobile store and just get it all setup there provided i get the services you mentioned.

you said it works great, Ive heard complaints that its extremely slow, i realize this is very subjective of course, but is it really that bad?

Well it's EDGE so you can't expect broadband speeds.. it's sufficient enough for me and I have a 3G (will not operate on T-Mobiles 3G network). 2 bars though and it's miserable so make sure that you have good coverage where you will use the data the most if you don't have WiFi available.
    T-Mobile's EDGE isn't any slower than AT&T's.

Lovely

Not

ya ive checked there coverage map, everywhere i would use this thing 90% of my time has full 3g and edge coverage

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    It works great.. reliable. The 34.99 plan is a great value if you text and use data a lot, otherwise just getting the unlimited data and 300 messages for 4.99 is a better setup.
    im only finding the web2go or "Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages for phones with FlexPay" on their site, i can't seem to find the two plans you mentioned, although i did fine the 4.99 messaging service.
    Last edited by ctguitarguy; 09-17-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't get Edge at Church... Must be a god thing.

Unsupported Browser

That's the plan, that's not showing the 24.99 option but it's there.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by Harman_M View Post
    I don't get Edge at Church... Must be a god thing.
    Haha, it's the opposite for me: full bars in church, but once we get back to Grammy's house, no service.

On a serious note, ever since I have had my T-Mobile data plan, T-Zones (which, sadly, they no longer offer: $5.99 for unlimited data, no restrictions), I have only had a few hiccups, and they were all server based. I can't recall having a data issue for at least 4-5 months now, and even the one I had before that was an outage of just a few hours.

Thanks

No one goes to church these days anyway, apart from the heavily indoctrinated. And the poor.
    To live, you have to lie

so it appears like its still under the "web2go" moniker but that your saying you have to select the "smartphone" option instead of the "other phones" option which is 20 bucks.

I pay 39.99 for a 1000 min promo plan they had. It's Flex Pay so I don't have a contract. Add 9.99 for "unlimited" data and 4.99 for 300 txts. I went to a tmobile store and they helped me to get the cheapest internet data package.

Flex pay has a 5 dollar charge if you don't set up easy pay. I pay about 55-60 bucks for everything.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Fairly recently tmobile has locked up the browsing for all users not on one of the G1 data plans (which are either 24.99 monthly for unlimited data and 400 messages or 34.99 monthly for unlimited data and unlimited messages). This causes your browser to be redirected to a tmobile site in which they ask you to upgrade. I've noticed this happening on the phones I unlock either after a firmware update or when the user is traveling and the phone switches towers. Basically, any chance tmobile has to grab your IMEI locks the browsing unless you have one of those two plans. There may be hacks to work around this, but I am thus far unaware of any that permanently solve this issue. My recommendation is that you go for it and pay for the proper plan if for no other reason but to minimize headaches and maximize data usage. Personally I have the 24.99 service and count on family unlimited texting for my mms and sms usage. Having one of these packages will cause customer service to leave you alone if you need to call them and trouble shoot your issues without bugging you about upgrading. Hope this helps.