Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use Canadian iPhone 3G & 3GS on T-Mobile

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Use Canadian iPhone 3G & 3GS on T-Mobile
    I am from Canada and am planning on traveling to the US for a vacation in Nov/Dec (going to Oahu & Maui). Normally, whenever I take my iPhone 3G to the States, I just set up an AT&T GoPhone sim card with the $20 (100MB) MediaNet data plan and everything has worked fine so far. However, I've just started researching the option of using T-Mobile. I've done a bunch of Googling and searching on this site but I can't find a definitive answer to the best (and cheapest) option for using an international iPhone on T-Mobile.

I was initially planning on setting up a pre-paid account and using the sidekick data plan, but I've read several places that that's no longer possible. So, I have a few questions below, and please keep in mind when answering that I do not live in the States nor do I have an American credit card. I've already purchased new, unactivated SIM cards off eBay. My iPhone is running 3.0.1, is jailbroken with redsn0w, and unlocked with ultrasn0w.

1a) Is it true that it's now impossible to use the prepaid sidekick plan no matter what APN settings you use on the iPhone?
    1b) If that is not true and it still is possible to use the prepaid sidekick plan, what APN settings are needed? Are VPN settings needed? If so, what?

2) Is there another plan that I can add to my T-Mobile SIM card that will allow me to set up voice and data but not sign a contract or have a credit check? I'm assuming that the prepaid plan is the only one, but I've read that it's possible to use the flexplan without signing contracts, etc. But I don't know if that's the best price that I can get. NOTE: I would prefer to have a plan that is capable of using 3G instead of just EDGE.

3) Is it safe to assume that answers to the above questions all fully apply to the iPhone 3GS as well? I've been thinking of getting an iPhone 3GS.
    Last edited by b_lang; 09-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.

You can't use 3G on T-Mobiles network. Their 3G is only on the 1700mhz band and the iPhone doesn't support that band.

Lovely

Not

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok... Thanks for answering that, what about the other questions?

1 - That's right. No phones other than Sidekicks are allowed onto the SK prepaid plan.

2 - Flexpay will allow you to get most rate plans/data/messaging plans without a contract or credit check

3 - Because of the 3.1 update, if the 3G S you buy is up to the 3.1 OS there is no unlock for it - 3.1 updates the baseband and ultrasn0w won't work. I think there is no jailbreak out yet either but the most important part is the unlock and that won't work.

Lovely

Not