Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile requiring webConnect data plan for iPhone?

Haven't read this one yet, so I'll post.

Internet through Safari is working (Wichita, KS), but I get the webconnect error when I try to connect to Cydia.

Edit: Jinxed the whole da*n thing. Internet isnt working now at all.

NYC Queens here as well, I sure hope that this is just an outage. Maybe it's wishful thinking I recently bought my iPhone 3GS unlocked because it was cheaper than paying for BlackBerry Enterprise on TMo and a BES addon for Exchange.

Like most everyone else, I'm getting the webConnect nonsense. I get redirected to wip.t-mobile.com when I use Safari. I noticed this around 11:30AM.

I am using internet2.voicestream.com

Quote Originally Posted by supasekziaznboi View Post
    outrage more like

i got off the phone with tech support they said they did a tower upgrade so that all smart phones REQUIRE the 25+ packages

even when i argued that the 9.99 worked, they said they cant reverse the upgrade or whatever

i am trying 1 less thing to see if it can work or not
    ill keeo you guys updated
    might take a day or 2
    Thanks for the info, I'm sure we'd all appreciate any updates!
    Last edited by fallennomad; 08-25-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did the online customer service chat with T-Mobile this morning and this is how it went:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You are currently at position number 25 in the queue.
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    You are currently at position number 23 in the queue.
    An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
    You are currently at position number 22 in the queue.
    The next available Agent will be with you in a moment.
    You are currently at position number 21 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 18 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 15 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 13 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 11 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 10 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 7 in the queue.
    You are currently at position number 3 in the queue.
    You have been connected to _Amanda C.
    _Amanda C: Hi J , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. I’m _Amanda and I will be happy to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
    _Amanda C: What kind of phone do you have?
    J T: I have a blackberry, razr, and an iphone. i'm pretty sure you guys already know what phone im using.
    _Amanda C: Please stand by while I research your issue.
    _Amanda C: What phone is the phoen that isn't working?
    J T: it's happening on the iphone
    _Amanda C: Can i get your first and last name please?
    J T: J T
    _Amanda C: Thank you for that.
    _Amanda C: Lets try turning your device "off" then "on" again. Let me know when your phone is back "on".
    J T: i still keep getting the same error on my webbrowser saying that need webconnect data plan which is not true because my current webplan was working fine just yesterday
    J T: is there an outage of some sort in my area?
    _Amanda C: Please stand by while I research your issue.
    _Amanda C: I did look and there are no outages in your area. But i did find that you have the wrong internet package on your account.
    J T: well it was working fine yesterday and i don't see why t-mobile is saying i need webconnect when i was content with my current service now
    _Amanda C: With the iphone you should have the smart phone web plan or else your internet will not be working properly.
    J T: so my question is are they intentionally doing this to me because of the phone im using?

_Amanda C: It could work for awhile but it will stop working since it is not the right one on the account. The iphone is a smartphone not just a regular device, so with smartphones you need an internet package that works with that phone.
    J T: i'm sorry if coming of kind of mean. please don't take anything personal because i understand this is your job. but if you could answer my previous question with a yes or no answer what would the answer be
    _Amanda C: No. Like i said it is a data phone so all data phones have there own kind of internet package.
    J T: if i just wanted unlimited text messaging on my line how much would that service cost
    _Amanda C: 14.99 a month.
    J T: i guess i might cancelling my unlimited web and message and just go for that. i'll just wait it out and see what happens. thanks for your help i hope yo u didn't take anything personal and i know its your job to say that iphones can't be using dumbphone data plans.
    _Amanda C: Is there anything else we can assist you with today?
    J T: thats it
    _Amanda C: Thank you for contacting T-Mobile Chat, and thanks for being part of our family.
    _Amanda C: Are you still there is there anything else i can help you out with.
    J T: woops sorry just didn't get to close the window. sorry amanda
    _Amanda C: Thats okay you hav a great night.

I really wanted to find out if they were doing this intentionally so I would know whether they're cracking down. Since she said that there were no outages in my area I came to the conclusion that they are doing this to iPhone users with dumbphone data plans.

I'll give it till the end of the week to see if my internet will return. so far things don't look so well. I mean if it's happening nationwide in spread out locations.
    Last edited by jakkuza; 08-25-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Hey gang. Just another guy screwed out of a decent data deal. No way in hell will I ever pay $25/month for EDGE speeds.

I'm out in Kansas City.

Default This bites!
    Yeah same here still getting webconnect message! I'm in Seattle, it started sometime late night yesterday.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm using the $9.99 Web2Go Unlimited plan.

This is pretty absurd...EDGE speeds I'll deal with for that price, but now they're just strongarming people into a more expensive plan. I have no incentive to stay with TMo now.

Let's just hope this is temporary. I'll be keeping a close eye here.

Quote Originally Posted by fallennomad View Post
    NYC Queens here as well, I sure hope that this is just an outage. Maybe it's wishful thinking I recently bought my iPhone 3GS unlocked because it was cheaper than paying for BlackBerry Enterprise on TMo and a BES addon for Exchange.

Like most everyone else, I'm getting the webConnect nonsense. I get redirected to wip.t-mobile.com when I use Safari. I noticed this around 11:30AM.

I am using internet2.voicestream.com

Thanks for the info, I'm sure we'd all appreciate any updates!
    i ment 1 LAST attempt lol not less sorry for my craptastic typing

Assuming they're blocking iPhones (and maybe other smartphones), would they be doing this by checking the imei?

Quote Originally Posted by gatlaw View Post
    Assuming they're blocking iPhones (and maybe other smartphones), would they be doing this by checking the imei?
    that is my guess

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a Nokia Xpressmusic on the $9.99 plan connecting to internet2.voicestream.com and I have the same issues of being redirected to the webconnect page. So it's not just an iPhone issue but a smartphone issue... I chatted with 2 tmobile reps and they sent me new settings and asked me to restart my phone a couple of times but to no avail. Finally they transferred me to their "unsupported phone" department but I got tired of being on hold. Hopefully this is just an outage like the one in 07 and not a vindictive ban on all of us on the $10 or $20 plans...

Me too!!!! Last time I used it was last night and this morning in getting this redirect to ipw.t-mobile.com from tmobile saying I need the webconnect plan to use data on my device. Any ideas anyone, I currently use an iphone 2g with $9.99 email & data plan. It worked perfectly unitl last night.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsidd View Post
    I have a Nokia Xpressmusic on the $9.99 plan connecting to internet2.voicestream.com and I have the same issues of being redirected to the webconnect page. So it's not just an iPhone issue but a smartphone issue... I chatted with 2 tmobile reps and they sent me new settings and asked me to restart my phone a couple of times but to no avail. Finally they transferred me to their "unsupported phone" department but I got tired of being on hold. Hopefully this is just an outage like the one in 07 and not a vindictive ban on all of us on the $10 or $20 plans...
    so far it's only internet2.voicestream.com apn's.

your Nokia Xpressmusic, is it supposed to have the more "expensive" data plan?

I guess the question here is why is there a different "unlimited" plan for dumbphones vs. smartphones? If I have a RAZR with unlimited WAP browsing, how is that so different than my facebook or twitter app?

I think T-Mobile needs to seriously use some logic here. But like I said before, I'm sure they really don't care about losing the 2000 or so people that are using web2go on an iPhone. (2000 * 20 * 12) is only half a million dollars a year. Let's assume that a third of those people decide to give up and buy the 24.99 package... they make about 200,000 bucks a year. So basically, they lose about 300,000 dollars... while keeping network usage down which saves THEM money and it keeps customers happy. So in essence, they don't really care.

I was a 19.99 web and messaging customer. I'm still bouncing around the idea of what I'm going to do in a day or so if they make an announcement on the t-mobile forums like they did last time. I'm so glad to see they took those suggestions to heart.

Since my plan is a Flex Pay plan, which means I pay each month in advance, are they going to credit me for this month that I've already paid for? I'm only 10 days into my current billing cycle.

I'm hoping along with everyone else that it's a network issue on T Mobile's end but it seems to widespread to me to be that....

Quote Originally Posted by smassie View Post
    Since my plan is a Flex Pay plan, which means I pay each month in advance, are they going to credit me for this month that I've already paid for? I'm only 10 days into my current billing cycle.

I'm hoping along with everyone else that it's a network issue on T Mobile's end but it seems to widespread to me to be that....
    I actually considered that. Regardless of what I do, they will be refunding that amount.

Being a technical person, I understood COMPLETELY that the web2go plan was for their cheap WAP phones. The problem is, it worked just fine for the smart phones too. T-Mobile just decided that if I could afford a more expensive phone, I could afford a more expensive data plan. They had to go out of their way to make it NOT work. It's like if I can somehow find a cheap Mercedes-Benz on eBay. Then I'm stuck realizing that it takes 92 octane gas. The rich folks will all tell me, hey, that's the price you pay, suck it up. But when you truly understand the inter-workings of an internal combustion engine, you realize there is no really good reason why the car couldn't run on 87 octane.

Being a non-techy, I'd just claim, "hey, your site said unlimited internet... how was I supposed to know that after you found out what type of phone I had, you'd want more money?"

I hope its just an outage.
    But why do people call tmobile and tell them they have iphone and the internet is out. This raises a red flag everytime someone calls them and god knows how many impatient patients have called tmobile and told they have iphone. Just say you have a regular dubmphone and the internet is out and please fix it. then slip in the conversation that is there any outage? They will insist you to move to higher plan but cant force if you keep on telling them you have a dumbfone not iphone.
    Also if there was a imei issue where tmobile might have blocked the imei of the iphone from using the we2go then has someone tried to put the sim in another iphone and see if it works?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    My Web2Go $9.99 plan is working fine. Am in College Station, about an hour and half from Houston, TX. All of my internet services are working like a champ Sorry to the rest of ya

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well I don't have an iPhone and didn't tell them which phone I had. They checked and said there was no outage in my area. And they never mentioned changing my plan. All they said was that as far as they were concerned nothing was wrong and that I should contact another department which has "more access"

I got the same problem when i got out of school to check my email, and google something. Got that stupid screen.. Well hopefully there isnt going to be a problem and it start working again.. If not bye bye tmobile, Hello Atnt and new iphone 3gs! lmao

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @Gumby579: What phone do you use? I'm assuming you're connecting to the wap.voicestream.com which is the rebranded tzone and doesn't give you full blown internet as the internet2.voicestream does. Right?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast