Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: going on vacation. How do I use my Fone and not get charged extra for roaming

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default going on vacation. How do I use my Fone and not get charged extra for roaming
    Hello all.
    jus need alittle help I'm going on vacation to grenada W.I.
    What do I need installed on my phone for me to call and text
    Without roaming fees. I have t-mobile phone service. I'm open to all
    Suggestions. Thank you in advance for ya help

The eff? You're going to get charged no matter what... Don't break the law. If you want to use your phone just pop out the sim card and bring it.

I haven't tried it before but you could try skype. But usally when I go out of country, when I get there
    I just buy a prepaid phone, and swap sims.

I don't know if this applies in your case, but just FYI:

I have an iphone 3g on tmobile and i recently went to Mccall, Idaho on vacation. There was no Tmobile service, so my phone switched onto a network called "USA-extended" Anyway, after some reseach I found that I tmobile has contracts with other carriers so their customers can still use their phone while roaming and not get charged.

So even though my phone showed up as "USA Extended" (which I heard was an Alltell tower) and not "Tmobile" I still used it and didn't get charged a dime. I guess tmobile has it set up so their customers can jump on other networks and it's all included in your monthly payment.

Also, i went on a cruise a few months past and the same thing happened and I used text messaging and didn't get charged for it. In fact, part of my cruise went to Victoria Canada and my phone would say "Rogers" as the network and I could still send and receive texts with no charge!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashidar View Post
    I don't know if this applies in your case, but just FYI:

I have an iphone 3g on tmobile and i recently went to Mccall, Idaho on vacation. There was no Tmobile service, so my phone switched onto a network called "USA-extended" Anyway, after some reseach I found that I tmobile has contracts with other carriers so their customers can still use their phone while roaming and not get charged.

So even though my phone showed up as "USA Extended" (which I heard was an Alltell tower) and not "Tmobile" I still used it and didn't get charged a dime. I guess tmobile has it set up so their customers can jump on other networks and it's all included in your monthly payment.

Also, i went on a cruise a few months past and the same thing happened and I used text messaging and didn't get charged for it. In fact, part of my cruise went to Victoria Canada and my phone would say "Rogers" as the network and I could still send and receive texts with no charge!
    Yea, before when I used to travel to Knoxvile, TN (from GA) they didn't have T Mobile. So the phone automatically switched to a Cingular tower. Never paid roaming, and I went a lot

Thanks

I've spoken to tmobile about this often when I go into Wisconsin there are parts where there is no big carrier so I switch to local service check to see if tmo is available where you are going or if they have a roaming agreement just call they'll tell you