Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-mobile Service Horrible

Default T-mobile Service Horrible
    Hi all, fantastic forum, glad to be here. I recently picked up a used unlocked/jailbroken 2G Iphone (4gb) that I'm using on Tmobile. I figured out how to get the $9.99 internet working, and the phone is phenomenal but the service is killing me- my bars have dropped significantly from my previous samsung phone, to the point that I get "no service" a lot and pretty much have no service in my house. I love the iphone applications and functionality, but is there any way to improve my tmobile service on it? I've read a few threads, but there doesn't seem to be much help for this, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Spene View Post
    Hi all, fantastic forum, glad to be here. I recently picked up a used unlocked/jailbroken 2G Iphone (4gb) that I'm using on Tmobile. I figured out how to get the $9.99 internet working, and the phone is phenomenal but the service is killing me- my bars have dropped significantly from my previous samsung phone, to the point that I get "no service" a lot and pretty much have no service in my house. I love the iphone applications and functionality, but is there any way to improve my tmobile service on it? I've read a few threads, but there doesn't seem to be much help for this, any ideas?
    do you know what unlock/jailbreak method was used?

i'd recommend a full restore to apple 3.0, then jailbreak it with one of the dev team tools.

I get pretty much the same service i did with my old blackberry, ****** lol

I don't know exactly which method was used, former owner was a developer so I believe he did it correctly. When I turn it on a pineapple with a bite taken out of it comes up.

I don't know exactly which method was used, former owner was a developer so I believe he did it correctly. When I turn it on a pineapple with a bite taken out of it comes up.
    gotcha, they did use the dev tools,

But i'd recommend doing a full DFU restore, then rejailbreaking/unlocking with redsn0w. be sure to backup everything in itunes, and when asked, setup the phone as a new phone, NOT from backup... dont worry you wont lose your contacts or apps (be sure to have them checked to be backed up in itunes)(contacts is in the info tab) the only thing you will lose is your settings, and your text messages. everything else will be back to normal. hopefully it fixes your signal issues. (i've heard of sometimes needing to update your simcard, but if that sim card works fine in your old phone, i wouldn't see why it wouldn't work in your iphone)

There is a thread somewhere on here comparing two phones, both running t-mobile, but one of them gets better service. they did what i mentioned above and both phones now get the same service.

Hope it helped, post back with an update

Thanks, that sounds really helpful, but pretty complicated and I don't want to f*** it up Where can I find a walk through? Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds like your antenna is about to go out? i had the same problem end up the antenna was bad.
     Think Different

Thanks
    Thanked 10,180 Times in 6,199 Posts

I totally agree. Upgrade to 3.0 Here is a link that may help you out. Also a link to a thread about it. That is if the phone is working properly and has no issues. But by upgrading you will be able to tell that also if the phone reacts the same.

Hmmm, not sure on the antenna, I'm at work right now and get full bars, but at home where I used to get a couple I now get "no service" unless I go on the front porch, then I get a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    I totally agree. Upgrade to 3.0 Here is a link that may help you out. Also a link to a thread about it. That is if the phone is working properly and has no issues. But by upgrading you will be able to tell that also if the phone reacts the same.
    I'm already on the 3.0 firmware?
    Last edited by Spene; 07-28-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    sounds like your antenna is about to go out? i had the same problem end up the antenna was bad.
    I second this post...

Also bought an used iPhone and mine had less service bars than my girlfriend's.
    Usually dropped calls on the Highway and sometimes had NO SERVICE inside places like restaurants.
    Good thing it was on warranty and I replaced it for a new (refurb) one.

In order for you to find out if it's the antenna you will need another iPhone, if it is not unlocked, just try it both phones with AT&T SIM, if the antenna is bad you will get a difference in bars comparing both phones.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 07-30-2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Housekeepin'?

I have TMobile-I think it's their service, not a bad jailbreak/antennae. I'm in the DC area and sometimes i get very little coverage, if any. That said, most of the time, I have "enough" coverage and I don't drop calls. I like the price I pay, but it is starting to get to me.

OK, new bigger worry now! It seems that my edge data network is gone! I have the $9.99 a month plan with Tmobile, and today I suddenly lost my E next to the tmobile logo. I was using internet2.voicestream.com as the APN, EPC redirected me to get a different plan. Any ideas? I'm in Utah, I've read threads about the edge network going out in random areas?

OK, new bigger worry now! It seems that my edge data network is gone! I have the $9.99 a month plan with Tmobile, and today I suddenly lost my E next to the tmobile logo. I was using internet2.voicestream.com as the APN, EPC redirected me to get a different plan. Any ideas? I'm in Utah, I've read threads about the edge network going out in random areas?
    does wap.voicestream.com work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    does wap.voicestream.com work for you?

No, it doesn't, neither that nor Epc.tmobile.com have ever worked for me. Luckily I got it back up on internet2 after reading through some threads on here last night, basically I just powered it off then on again, changed the APN a few times and it's back. Thanks again for the help, now I just need to get my damn service working better.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Back to original problem. My wives cheap-I T-Mobile cell has always picked up the carrier signal better than either my old 2G my current 3G. This is especially true when the carrier signal is weak in the 1st place. It was so intermittant I actually purchased a cell-phone booster ($300) when I used the 2G. It's not much of an issue with the 3G, but it's still there.

Based on the fact that he got good reception with another phone means it's not the network.

I have T-Mobile and the service is great, even near where I live and it's spotty with every carrier except for Verizon.

Thanks

Glad to hear I have a post on that one

Have you tried a restore? Do you happen to have a friends iPhone that you could borrow? Possibly unlock it for a few n test it out? I'm curious because my phone gets about the same service my bb curve got. No more, no less

Thanks

The only Places I'be gotten bad service is in IOWA but I mean it's IOWA
    and when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and like two people have phones that're working so I s'pose it depends on where you live but if the tower is close by then you're just SOL