Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A real puzzler: Wildly different Data speeds on 2 iphones

Default A real puzzler: Wildly different Data speeds on 2 iphones
    Hello all,

I've got a real puzzler on my hands.

On Wednesday night, I was finally able to add the 5.99 data plan, better known as T-zones, onto my account. My efforts in doing so can be found here:
    Easiest way to get T-Zones for 5.99 even though they don't offer it anymore - Page 45 - SlickDeals.net Forums(post 669).

Before that, I was briefly on the 9.99 web2go data plan. My speeds were quite slow, generally from 40 to 65 kbps (I am testing with INetworkTest.com).

Now that I am with T-zones, and using a different APN, my speeds have remained the same, unfortunately.

The peculiar thing is that my brother, who lives with me, also has T-zones on his unlocked iphone, and side by side, his phone consistently gets speeds up to 5x faster than mine, typically around 200 kbps. He has had t-zones for over a year now, however, and was grandfathered into the plan.

Here's the rundown:
    1)We both have 2g iphones, both unlocked and jailbroken, both with T-zones.
    2)Neither of us have any t-zones hack or anything like that, we simply use the epc.tmobile.com APN and turn data roaming On.
    3)He is still on firmware 2.2 (having used Winpwn), while I am on 3.0 having used RedSn0w.
    4)He gets 4 to 5x faster speeds than I do.

I have turned my phone off several times since Wednesday, I have reset my network settings multiple times. I have tried the other apns with no noticeable improvement. I switched our Sim cards once to find out that even with his sim in my phone, I still get slow speeds.

My only hypothesis is that it may be something to do with our differences in firmware? Or something to do with RedSn0w?

If anyone can weigh in their thoughts or opinions, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks guys.

Thanks

It might be a problem with the firmware.. i don't use t-zones so i wouldn't kno, but just curious did u install the package from cydia for t-zones?

Edit- scratch that i just read the link u posted in there...
    sooo i'm guessing that u should try a restore of ur iphone, make sure to back up ur apps in itunes and with aptbackup in cydia if u have cydia installed apps, re jailbreak then try entering the cellular data in again

and if that doesnt workk try looking at the first post in this, http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t-mobil...00-workin.html, and try that out
    Last edited by g916; 07-26-2009 at 10:44 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to g916 For This Useful Post:

deputy (07-27-2009)

Thanks for your input g, I think restoring my phone is the most reasonable option I have.

I actually just tried something I can't believe I didn't think of before. I put my sim card in my brother's phone, instead of using his sim in mine. With his phone, I had the faster speeds I should be getting. Therefore, I think it's my firmware.

I plan on restoring my phone tomorrow evening. I'll post here again afterward so that others can reference this if they happen to run into the same problem.

Just for those who may be curious:

I restored the iphone earlier this evening using redsn0w .7 (windows) with no luck.

I tried again with version .8, but to no avail.

Both times, instead of syncing with Itunes afterward, I just decided to input the apn settings and restart the phone and try--I thought this would help avoid unnecessary junk or settings or something that may have been the problem in the first place.

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with these slow speeds. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be the sim card, as I was able to get fast speeds when I used it in my brothers phone.

Oh well, everything works as it should, and it's still worth 6 measly bucks a month--just a little slower than I would like it.

Thanks

Dang idk what to say im not an expert on iphones as u can tell probably lol

I was always curious to know if there were any speed differences between wap.voicestream, internet2, internet3 and epc.tmobile... I was using epc for a while then changed back to wap internet2 and 3 never worked for me I did notice slower loading time on wap but then again I feel like it was just my mind playing tricks on me. *random*

On internet2 I get about 180kbps in a good area.. 2 bars is like 50kbps. Some say it's slower than epc but it isn't in my limited testing..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -a9b9ad6f.jpg  

Do both of you have the same bars when the phones are side-by-side?
    Housekeepin'?