Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie - Inernet iPhone question

Default Newbie - Inernet iPhone question
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first iPhone, still learning how to use it.

Today's question has to do with internet access -

1.I have heard that since T-Mobile is my carrier i do not get 3G internet - so what do i get? I ask because i was in Starbucks yesterday and could not get online even tho they had Wi Fi access.

2. What should my settings be to get internet access on my phone?

Thanks for any and all help!

first off congrats on your first iphone

1. you should get "edge" speeds, the phone should display a "e" next to t-mobile. Even with no settings put in, you should be able to get online through wifi... I know starbucks has a processing page, that you have to visit before it gives you internet access.

2. The easiest way is to just download the appropriate carrier bundle for your plan (details are in a sticky at the top). Or you could just put epc.tmobile.com in your apn settings and it should get the internet working. But with the carrier bundle, your internet tethering will work, MMS, video messaging, etc.

my ignorance is showing.....I have the whole in internet package thing from T Mobile - is that the same as the "appropriate carrier bundle" you referenced? I do get the Edge symbol and i didn't realize about the Starbucks processing page - explains alot!

what is epc.tmobile? and if I get Edge am i fine with internet service and do not need to do anything?

Thanks

Just because you have edge doesn't mean you get internet automatically. You have to subscribe to some sort of data plan to get internet w/out using wifi.

learned alot today - i do have internet access, just not the highly touted 3G, plus i can get WI FI at starbucks and other places. ANd it appears my settings are right.

Thanks everyone who responded appreciate your time and tips and knowledge. AM loving this phone!

Thanks

The iphone 3g will NEVER work on T-Mobile's 3G network, so always make sure the 3G is always turned off if you are using T-Mobile..
    Settings/General/Network= and make sure 3G is off..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhone3g210 For This Useful Post:

luvmydoodles (07-22-2009)

I did!! Thank you for the tip - saving my batter life too. I have Data Roaminh on "on" - is that okay?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydoodles View Post
    I did!! Thank you for the tip - saving my batter life too. I have Data Roaminh on "on" - is that okay?
    yeah i THINK you need it on for the internet to work, but i could be wrong...

To save some more battery, turn off location services.

Okay, here is the help you need.

1) Turn 3G OFF
    2) Turn Data Roaming ON
    3) Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > NETWORK > CELLULAR DATA NETWORK
    4) For APN try either one of these:
    - epc.tmobile.com
    - wap.voicestream.com
    - internet2.voicestream.com
    leave username / password field BLANK

YOU MUST HAVE A INTERNET DATA PACKAGE IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK

If you do all this and the internet still does not work, try:
    SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET > RESET NETWORK SETTINGS

and then repeat all steps above 1) through 4)...
    Good luck!
    Housekeepin'?

to add to Oliver350Z
    5) reboot the iphone. this my be needed.

add the info and reboot each time so it will "stay saved". it only takes 1-2 mins to reboot so be patient.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chessyang For This Useful Post:

luvmydoodles (07-23-2009)

thanks so much for the help - i do have the internet plan thru T Mobile...thank you - love this phone!!!

Glad to have helped =)

enjoy!
    Housekeepin'?