+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How is your MMS picture resolution?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by aziatiklover sorry but i'm confused how u do all that? SSH the iphone? There are TWO walkthroughs in another posting: TMOBILE ONLY!! TMOBILE ONLY!! TMOBILE ONLY!! http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4654181-post812.html
    iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    sorry but i'm confused how u do all that? SSH the iphone?
    There are TWO walkthroughs in another posting:

TMOBILE ONLY!! TMOBILE ONLY!! TMOBILE ONLY!!
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4654181-post812.html
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4654091-post811.html

Check #812 first as it has instructions about iTunes allowing custom ipcc stuff. Then the second one is how I updated and everything.

P.S. When both walkthroughs say "Reboot"- we mean to hold down the power and home buttons together until the screens blacks and your startup icon shows (usually a white apple, but the white pwnapple shows up for me)

EDIT: Oops! I had both links to my walkthrough. How vain. The 812 walkthrough with instructions on how to allow iTune to take custom ipcc is now posted. It was created by PhreakWenci
    Last edited by RaginAsian55; 06-30-2009 at 04:33 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RaginAsian55 For This Useful Post:

aziatiklover (06-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ironicirony View Post
    So it turns out this is kinda easy. Poking around commcenter I found some extra strings for carrier setting bundles.

Turns out there is a UserAgent key for carrier.plist. So if you add the following to your carrier.plist in the MMS section the MMS headers will use the UserAgent key instead of building the default iPhone UA.

Code:
    		<key>UAProf</key>
    		<string>http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml</string>
    		<key>UserAgent</key>
    		<string>SonyEricssonW800i/R1L</string>
    The result, no more thumbnail sized pics. My modified ipcc is attached.
    Is there anyway I can SSH this in? I'm at work and can't wait until 2200. I am desperate people!!!

Thanks

Awesome WORK!!!! SPREAD THE WORD!!! HACK THE PLANET!!!! Ooops, lil carried away there.

Quote Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post
    Is there anyway I can SSH this in? I'm at work and can't wait until 2200. I am desperate people!!!
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles/

That's what I did, I just copy and pasted the carrier.plist file contents into the one I found there.
    Last edited by tekwiz; 06-30-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

For anyone feeling frisky you can also try the G1 User Agent might give even better resolution.

<key>UserAgent</key>
    <string>Android-Mms/0.1</string>

You can leave off the .. <key>UAProf</key> <string>http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml</string>. Best I can tell TMo doesn't even parse the xml.

EDIT: Don't do this, you're better of with the SE string, seems the G1 gets some pretty crummy incoming MMS resolution,
    Last edited by ironicirony; 06-30-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Oops...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ironicirony For This Useful Post:

JeffSchaefer (06-30-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RaginAsian55 View Post
    There are TWO walkthroughs in another posting:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4654091-post812.html
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4654091-post811.html

Check #812 first as it has instructions about iTunes allowing custom ipcc stuff. Then the second one is how I updated and everything.

P.S. When both walkthroughs say "Reboot"- we mean to hold down the power and home buttons together until the screens blacks and your startup icon shows (usually a white apple, but the white pwnapple shows up for me)
    u got that thanx man, but damn too much to do for only good resolution lol. i think i'm gonna leave my settings as it is since everything is working fine.
     Think Different

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ssh and editing 1 file is a lot of work? lol

thanks for this info peoples. been waitin for this to get iron'd out before i upgrade. leavin 2.2 later today! lol
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post

Where do you work that you finish at 10pm, use military and have regular computer access?

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    u got that thanx man, but damn too much to do for only good resolution lol. i think i'm gonna leave my settings as it is since everything is working fine.

If you already have MMS enabled and running on your phone it's really not that much extra work. You just update with the new file (I guess internet2 is faster according to TekWiz- and with a name like that you gotta' just go with him). After you update just do an immediate reboot and you're set! The longest part may be downloading the file, unzipping, compressing, renaming, but that will literally take you less than 2 minutes. Maybe 5 if you're on a really old computer...
    Last edited by RaginAsian55; 06-30-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    So it turns out this is kinda easy. Poking around commcenter I found some extra strings for carrier setting bundles.

Turns out there is a UserAgent key for carrier.plist. So if you add the following to your carrier.plist in the MMS section the MMS headers will use the UserAgent key instead of building the default iPhone UA.

Code:
    		<key>UAProf</key>
    		<string>http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml</string>
    		<key>UserAgent</key>
    		<string>SonyEricssonW800i/R1L</string>
    The result, no more thumbnail sized pics. My modified ipcc is attached.
    ok so i think i found the part you are talking about, this is what my carrier.plist looks like (the part your talking about):

Code:
         <key>UAProf</key>
    		<string>http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf</string>
    		<key>Version</key>
    		<string>1.2</string>
    so all i have to do is copy/paste ur info over mine with the "sonyericsson" lines u suggest,and the image quality will be better?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RaginAsian55 View Post
    Where do you work that you finish at 10pm, use military and have regular computer access?

If you already have MMS enabled and running on your phone it's really not that much extra work. You just update with the new file (I guess internet2 is faster according to TekWiz- and with a name like that you gotta' just go with him). After you update just do an immediate reboot and you're set! The longest part may be downloading the file, unzipping, compressing, renaming, but that will literally take you less than 2 minutes. Maybe 5 if you're on a really old computer...
    If I tell you I would have to kill u...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The original ipcc I uploaded uses epc for data and wap for MMS.

I'm attaching one that uses internet2 for data and wap for MMS.

Install the ipcc, reboot for good luck, should be good to go.
    You, sir, are awesome. Worked like a charm - thanks~

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    For anyone feeling frisky you can also try the G1 User Agent might give even better resolution.

<key>UserAgent</key>
    <string>Android-Mms/0.1</string>

You can leave off the .. <key>UAProf</key> <string>http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml</string>. Best I can tell TMo doesn't even parse the xml.

EDIT: Don't do this, you're better of with the SE string, seems the G1 gets some pretty crummy incoming MMS resolution,
    G1 photo settings work well enough. Hard to say if it is any better resolution.......

Thanks

how come the .ipcc is grayed out when i try to update it from itunes. what am i doing wrong? im doing this on my 2G iphone. thanks!

nvm. in osx, terminal run:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

restarting now!
    Last edited by Iman07; 06-30-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
    how come the .ipcc is grayed out when i try to update it from itunes. what am i doing wrong? im doing this on my 2G iphone. thanks!

nvm. in osx, terminal run:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

restarting now!
    Yeah you can also try unzipping the downloaded file, compressing the Payload folder into a zip and then renaming the Payload.zip into "Tmobile.ipcc" and it should work. Double check you do not have a hidden .zip extension. The thumbnail should change and the computer should ask if you "really want to change" the file extension from zip to ipcc. (at least on a Mac it'll ask)

Thanks

ya but it was completely grayed out. you have to run the command in terminal first to unlock the feature i guess then u can select it. it doesnt seem like it sends any faster. does it matter which one i use? my apn is wap.voicestream.com. im waiting for a pic now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
    ya but it was completely grayed out. you have to run the command in terminal first to unlock the feature i guess then u can select it. it doesnt seem like it sends any faster. does it matter which one i use? my apn is wap.voicestream.com. im waiting for a pic now.

Yes. Right. Do the command terminal business first and then try the extra-compress step. Sorry if I was unclear.

The specific bundles were created for people (like me) who require a cellular data APN that is different from the MMS APN. I don't really know why but it seems like different plans and different people are able to access only one or two of the available APNs, but never all three. If your data APN is already wap then you can download either bundle and just manually change your APN to fit what you need. I think the epc might work for you without any changes.
    Last edited by RaginAsian55; 06-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
    Yea but that defeats the whole purpose of number-to-number MMS. I think it has something to do with the "Max image size" setting. We need to figure that one out in the MMS settings
    no it doesnt. i had my girlfriend picture text to [email protected] and it comes to my MMS app. so i'm just wondering why even doing that way i still get horrible picture quality.

Thanks

I can't edit my carrier bundle, I just get a whole bunch of garbled text...

Thanks

ok first off thanks a ton for figuring this out. so awesome to be able to get good quality images now.

i used the first ipcc file that was posted like two pages back
    "TMobile_US_UAFaking.ipcc.zip"
    and it worked but now my carrier says T-Mobile in the corner instead of using the images i have in winterboard. here is how i have it setup:

Theme.theme\Bundles\com.apple.Unknown\Default_CARR IER_TMOBILE.png and FSO_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png

it was working just fine before i changed the ipcc to get MMS to work right. any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirganon View Post
    ok first off thanks a ton for figuring this out. so awesome to be able to get good quality images now.

and it worked but now my carrier says T-Mobile in the corner instead of using the images i have in winterboard. here is how i have it setup:

Theme.themeBundlescom.apple.UnknownDefault_CARRIER _TMOBILE.png and FSO_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png

it was working just fine before i changed the ipcc to get MMS to work right. any help is greatly appreciated
    Ah, yes. This actually happened it to me to and I posted about it the very first time I got MMS to work. I used to have a glowing Tmobile icon that I enjoyed and it was subsequently removed after MMS update. In the original "Payload" folder there was a file called "Tmobile Bundle" and if you right clicked to "Show Package Contents" and the icon files were there. I tried replacing them once with some pretty tmobile .pgn logos I downloaded, compress and rename, and it didn't work. I kind of left it there because I don't really about the logo as much as I do the MMS. Especially now that the picture quality is cured, MMS has an actual application!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirganon View Post

Theme.themeBundlescom.apple.UnknownDefault_CARRIER _TMOBILE.png and FSO_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png

Had you used a different ipcc before or was this the first time you have used one?

+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast