+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: using iphone with tmobile without data plan?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am sorry if all the following is a dumb question. This is my first post and I admittedly did not read around here (although I have googled a bit
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default using iphone with tmobile without data plan?
    I am sorry if all the following is a dumb question. This is my first post and I admittedly did not read around here (although I have googled a bit otherwise.)

...A few months ago I too spontaneously bought an ipod touch although I wanted an iphone. I *knew* I couldn't use the iphone with my tmobile. It really bothered me that the ipods don't have a camera because I could seriously use that.

Since then, I am in love with my ipod and it sort of bugs me to have to lug my cell phone around too. Aside from the camera I only wish for calling abilities. Okay, I wouldn't at all mind the google maps either.

My question comes to this. Could I buy a 2G iphone and only use it with my current plan if I accept that limits the capabilities?

Later I could add the data plan, as I can afford/justify it. Sure, I'd love internet everywhere, but I am used to the ipod's limit to wireless networks anyway. I think the camera and being able to call would be enough for me now.

So, does anyone know if this is an okay idea?
    I am looking on ebay now for the 2G. I think I need to read around a bit to know how to spot bad deals. I don't even know the going rates exactly.

Thank you to anyone willing to answer my dumb questions!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yeah, you dont have to have a data plan.....without one, you CANT get data service so no big deal. Just use WIFI.

And Tmo dont care, as the iphone isnt one of their phones anyways.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Alba-ny (05-28-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 Times in 5,684 Posts

2g prices for phones in really good condition I've seen go as low as $200 and up to $325.
    With the Next Gen phones coming out soon, prices may go down, ya never know.
    T mo data plans now are a bit pricey, no more $5.99 T zones available.
    It would prolly cost $19.95 to $24.95 a month.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Alba-ny (05-28-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    2g prices for phones in really good condition I've seen go as low as $200 and up to $325.
    With the Next Gen phones coming out soon, prices may go down, ya never know.
    T mo data plans now are a bit pricey, no more $5.99 T zones available.
    It would prolly cost $19.95 to $24.95 a month.
    Thank you (and Cpjr)

I didn't even know there was another one coming out. I thought the new 3g was new. (I need to research more, obviously!)

I thought I had T-zones on my phone? I never used it except when accidentally pushing the buttons.
    Anyway, as long as I can just use the calling abilities and regular wireless I am good then.

Thanks

Welcome to MMi. Enjoy.......O.o

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Alba-ny (05-28-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you Blkcadi.

Also, I called tmobile and found out htat my contract actually expired in March! Now I am not sure how to proceed. I am a bit on the loyal side and don't want to leave them, especially at the price. If I could get the new one in July *wistful* I dunno. I am bidding on a 2G on ebay though. Wish me luck?

Thanks

Good luck
    T Mo is still cheaper than AT&T, If your thinking about the New iPhone coming out you'd prolly have to contract with AT&T.
    Lots on eBay, make sure you buy from someone that has a good track record.

Also, it is refreshing to find a new member that actually is searching for his own answers, making phone calls and has figured out how to use the "Thanks" button.
    Again, Welcome to our family.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 05-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Speaking of data plans. Called T-Mo to see where I am at with contracts. Have 3 lines and two are out of contract. So was thinking of switching to AT&T for a few reasons. One to get out of this damn Gevey TurboSIM (junk). I am on 5.9 bootloader so have to use it. Other reason was hoping to get good deal.

Well anyway while on the phone said might as well find out why everytime I reboot the phone or the Gevey TurboSIM (JUNK!!!!!) reboots I get 1 VM pending. So on the phone with pretty smart guy in the Non-T-Mo phone tech support department. We figure out that it sounds like its the Gevey crap. Well I have the Blackberry plan and have had for years. He says I need to upgrade as it wont work all the time with the iPhone 3g or it will work sporadically or whatever. Stopped him right there and said lets not do that cause not sure I am even stay with you guys. Well did not ask what plan or what it was or how much.

Any one have any idea?

Also he says the wap.voicestream.com is used for MMS or text and internet2.voicestream.com is used for surfing AND
    epc.t-moblie.com does both of the above. Honestly he was really helpful and had no problems that I had a 3G on T-Mo. His department is just for phones that are NOT from T-Mo. Oh and when they set the 3G up they use Nokia 7200 settings. That text thing they send to the phone.

Oh and pop the wifes SIM int he phone with the Gevey (crap) and set the APN to the wap.voi....settings and it worked just fine. She has T-Zones from when we first got the phones. No other settings were needed, just the APN. 2G on the way for the wife. This way she wont have to deal with the Gevey crap that I am dealing with. Cant wait till they figure out 2.2.1 or 3.0.

Sorry for the long book of "rattling on". Oh and sorry if seems like jumping someone elses thread, not what was intended.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm using my iphone 2G without a data plan currently and it works with T-Mobile flawlessly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sactownstar For This Useful Post:

Alba-ny (05-29-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sactownstar, that is awesome to hear.

I looked hard at the ATT prices, and wasn't thrilled. It looks like I'll definitely be staying with tmobile and my 50$ unlimited minute plan. Maybe I'll decide it is worth adding the data plan later. (It would be awesome to reliably look at maps when I am lost driving.)

After reading around here all night I am leaning toward the 2G rather than hoping for whatever awesomeness that might be released. I am impatient after all. Plus it has to cost less, right? (I should save money to upgrade from my old macbook to the aluminum.)

This forum is great btw! I'd love to post more, but I have too much to learn first, haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sactownstar View Post
    I'm using my iphone 2G without a data plan currently and it works with T-Mobile flawlessly.
    +1 I've had mine for going on 3 years (I think) and it's awesome. TMO has even helped me in the past knowing I have an iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Update

I was in Manhattan the other day and ended up buying a 2g. (I overpaid for sure, but I am over that I think.)

So far I am SOOOO happy
    I added the 9.99 100mb thing to my plan, and I just tried it now. It is working just fine with internet2.voicestream.com although tmobile knows I have the iphone.
    Woohoo! (Can you tell I am excited?)

I am afraid to start other threads, so I'll note that I ordered a metal skin and screen protector from SPG. I wish they still had more options for the 2G. I went with the Barcelona because it is classy looking to me and I am obsessed with that city. Still, the Basho snow poem would have been awesome, and I liked odysseus too. Eventually I may upgrade to whatever comes out next anyway, so I can try something new then eh?

I'd sort of like a silicone case for real protection, but I am so picky about what I like and haven't found any for the 2G except online so far. It can wait, I guess... just have to be careful.

Now I have more reason to hang around here

Also, unlike my ipod I can't seem to delete things like the stock app. grrr.