+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Let's fix the EDGE problem with sim chips

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
For those of us that have baseband 2.30.03, we have no choice but to hardware sim. Most of us are fighting the loss of the EDGE signal on a regular
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Let's fix the EDGE problem with sim chips
    For those of us that have baseband 2.30.03, we have no choice but to hardware sim. Most of us are fighting the loss of the EDGE signal on a regular basis. There are a few workarounds, but the only one that works all the time is removing the sim, putting into TMobile phone, then bringing it back to iPhone. This isn't terrible, if you have the phone there, but who wants to carry two phones?
    I'd like to call out to the programmers that have sovled problems in the past. This is a problem for a large group (me included). We need a solution. These types of issues are the greatest benefit to these forums, so let's use it!
    Unfortunately, I'm an embedded programmer for 8-bit and 16-bit micros, and know nothing about iPhone apps or MAC / WIN software. So while I'm not completely worthless, I'm close.
    I'd like to dedicate this thread to finding a software fix for this. I'm challenging people, asking for discussion, and hoping we can do this. I'm ready to try anything. An iPhone that looses EDGE every few days is essentially worthless to me, since I need that email connectivity for work.

Let me start the information download. The problem occurs at random times, sometimes at startup, but I've had it happen while charging overnight. The phone will simply stop looking for the data network. I don't believe it's an EDGE network problem, since the EDGE network shouldn't care which phone is trying to access it. Removing the sim chip and placing into a TMobile phone must update something in the sim chip itself, which triggers the iPhone to look for the data network again, then it works. Some people have had success simply resetting the network settings in iPhone, but for many (like me) it doesn't work.
    Does anyone know how to natively read the sim chip? If we could do a compare before and after we might find the info that is reset. Is this possible for the iPhone file structure? There might be a file or flag being changed when this happens.

And please, if you're solution is to get a different phone or go to AT&T, please don't post. Those of us that are having this problem already know these are options, but it doesn't help at this point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have had this problem for a while now and i posted a thread about it. i have gotten a response from someone on who to fix this. i havent tried it because i lost on how to go on to my mac to edit the settings as he says to do....

(I Figured out how you can fix this. If you go in Cydia, there is a package called T-Mobile Carrier Bundle. Install it, then on your computer, go into the System/Library/Carrier Bundles/T-Mobile US.bundle/ folder and open the carrier.plist file. Check off AllowEDGEEditing, and add epc.tmobile.com in apns > Item 1 as the "apn." (This is assuming you have a Mac and the appropriate plist editing software.))

maybe this will help.. i am new so i would like to know how to do it if you figured it out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Retrozion2 For This Useful Post:

owensdus (06-04-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Any one Tried This? DId this really solved that Edge problem lost?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea I have modem 2.30 and 2.2.1 and using GEVEY PLUS2 works great so far except the annoyance switching my sims card to my other cell so I can get edge to work on iphone again... I use swirlymms so needs edge :/
    so any solution as of yet?
    Last edited by mc00; 05-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My fix
    This is how i fix it and it works 99% of the time. Turn off date roaming, and reset your network settings, the phone should restart, and if not manually restart your phone, when it boots up turn data raoming back on, and your E icon should magically appear. LMk know if it works for you guys

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdmeg22 View Post
    This is how i fix it and it works 99% of the time. Turn off date roaming, and reset your network settings, the phone should restart, and if not manually restart your phone, when it boots up turn data raoming back on, and your E icon should magically appear. LMk know if it works for you guys

thank you for your tip.
    I will try that when my Edge start to act up again...

EDIT
    Well I try it today and the method work but I have doubt if happens again I will do it again lol
    Last edited by mc00; 05-12-2009 at 11:28 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mc00 View Post
    thank you for your tip.
    I will try that when my Edge start to act up again...

EDIT
    Well I try it today and the method work but I have doubt if happens again I will do it again lol
    I see 'E' icon on the top of the IPhone and and when I try to browse internet, it says Subscription Required. I am able to browse tzones web though. I am using gevey sim. How can I get internet to work on my IPhone? TIA.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If i can help- let me know.
    I just got my turbo sim- and i dont have a phone to throw it into to get edge back on. Once/if i ever get it to work. How do you guys get it to work. The directions say to edit:

/private/var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist -
    I only have

/private/var/root/Library/Preferences/

wth?

Green Apple
    Thanks

No Its not working for me any other method with out changing the sim card.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

No Its not working for me any other method with out changing the sim card.....

Thanks

Is thare a easyer was to fix this. I can't edit the plist??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Mine went out once. I did the phone swap with a cheap nokia with browser. I have never lost EDGE since.. I use my EDGE frequently too. What APN are you on? I followed specific instructions from tmobile's iphone department and it works flawlessly.

Thanks

I'm on the prepaid sidekick plan. Worked great for a week then my edge started going out. Still shows me the E tho. My only fix is airplane mode, but it's a pain in the *** to have to put in airplane mode like all day long to get me edge back up and runing. Will a cheap Tmobile phone help even if i'm on the sidekick plan? or do I need a sidekick to reset my simcard?

Hiptop.t-mobile.com is my apn setting I think.
    Last edited by Hoax537; 06-02-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yea i have the sidekick plan and just lost my e and tried restoring, reseting, and carrier bundle nothing is working

Thanks

Funny.. For the last two days my edgec has been good. It went from buggin out all week to being fine , which makes me think this is all on the tmobile end. I seen some crazy things happen every time they make updates or work on network bugs. But if your on the sidekick plan try to reset network settings. Kinda worked for me. Let's see.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yea tried to reset network settings already

yea i tried that once and it worked but i tried to reset network settings again nothing
    Last edited by rotw121; 06-03-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 9,728 Times in 5,974 Posts

Well I guess the questions should be;
    Who uses a sim adapter? does it work? what kind is it? what are your settings?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yea im using an iphone 3g 2.2.1 2.30.03 with a gevey plus 2 sim and apn is hiptop.t-mobile.com on the sidekick data plan

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rotw121 For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (06-03-2009)

Thanks

I'm using unlocked 2G 2.2.1 with sidekick prepaid plan no apn. My edge is still working 100%

Thanks
    Thanked 9,728 Times in 5,974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoax537 View Post
    I'm using unlocked 2G 2.2.1 with sidekick prepaid plan no apn. My edge is still working 100%
    Yeah, are you using a sim adapter?