+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick Data Plan on Iphone 3g

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
OK, so I have the prepaid sidekick plan with t-mobile that is $1/day for unlimited texts/mms/internet. none of the normal APN settings worked im guessing its because I have the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Sidekick Data Plan on Iphone 3g
    OK, so I have the prepaid sidekick plan with t-mobile that is $1/day for unlimited texts/mms/internet.

none of the normal APN settings worked im guessing its because I have the sidekick data plan and not T-Zones. But I did figure out how to get it up and running.

APN: hiptop.t-mobile.com
    User: dummy
    Pass: dummy

This gets everything working with the edge connection, so now I have phone,text and internet(edge) working. However I have installed swirlyMMS and trying to configure it to send/recieve MMS messages.

when setting up SwirlyMMS none of the normal APN's work just like when I was configureing edge.(wap.voicestream.com, internet2.voicestream.com, epc.tmobile.com....) If I set the hiptop apn swirlyMMS showed the green M as if its able to connect/work but I get an error when sending a message that says it cant connect to the proxy.

Does anyone know how to configure SwirlyMMS with the sidekick data plan, or know of a proxy the works for MMS under the sidekick data plan?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't think anybody has. Looking at a current SK's working settings at a Corp store revealed that the 'wap.voicestream' APN is supposed to be used for MMS (as with basically any other phone). It's probably related to how Swirly, the iPhone, or the service treats multiple APNs. I've been using the SK plan for nearly two months and haven't figured out a solution.

Oh, and as a FYI: MMS is not unlimited on the prepaid SK plan, it costs $.25/message.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Request auto settings. Any of the APN's listed, should work with swirly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joefx13 View Post
    Request auto settings. Any of the APN's listed, should work with swirly.
    I had tried all of the choices given via 'request auto settings.' None worked for me.
    Unless there is a setting that only uses the hiptop APN, then it's probably not going to work.

A friend of mine uses a G1 with a SK plan, and he is also having MMS issues but gets data just fine with the hiptop APN. That said, now I'm not sure Swirly is causing the MMS issues...
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

holy @#^#@& thanks my man those settings are working for me !

Thanks

Those settings work fine for me. And im on the sidekick plan as well. Try to reboot the phone, and then request auto settings and use any of them. Also, change the phone setting to Nokia N95 if you are having image resizing issues.

Also, for the APN just use hiptop.t-mobile.com, leave user and password blank.
    Last edited by joefx13; 03-21-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey I had a question, is your data roaming on or off with the sidekick settings?

Thanks

on

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright thanks. Also have you been charged extra or anything? My EDGE signal doesn't even show up if my data roaming is off.

Thanks

Nope. Never been charged anything extra. And data roaming needs to be on for it to work properly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright then I guess I'll start using my internet again . I was just worried about it and figured that was the only way for it to work. Thanks again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yep data roamings on , has to be on , however my speed was only 121kb/s guess i cant get much faster then that, at least it works !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Question?
    It seems like this is going to work for me too.. I just want to confirm if this will work for an Iphone 2g.. I have a Sidekick with the full 19.99 unlimited data plan.. My sidekick is on the hiptop apc and has the data roaming on.. I have never had any extra charges on my bill from roaming.. I just want to confirm this will work with an unlocked 2g 2.2 firmware and I will not incur any charges as well.. Thx

Thanks

Yes, it will work on a 2G or 3G.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I can buy this prepaid $1/day Sidekick plan, and stick the sim card in my iPhone and change the APN and it will work? I've heard several times/places, included this forum, that sidekick plans don't work with the iPhone.

It is CONFIRMED that it DOES INDEED work with the iPHONE?

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I DON'T have the prepaid plan, I have the original sidekick data plan on a t-mobile contract and I can tell you it works for sure. I assume that data roaming needs to be on for it to work, and i'm waiting for next months bill to see if I'm charged extra

Thanks

work for me with data roaming off and on,and why are you guys worried about data roaming,you won't get charged once your within the united states,if you go to canada etc you will get charged.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got the phone to work with my unlimited sidekick plan but I was just wondering if I use Youtube,email, or picture messaging will I get charged some sort of way since I do have unlimited email and picture messaging on the plan.. But I am just wondering since it is a sidekick plan will it matter if I use these options on the Iphone??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blinblin407 View Post
    I got the phone to work with my unlimited sidekick plan but I was just wondering if I use Youtube,email, or picture messaging will I get charged some sort of way since I do have unlimited email and picture messaging on the plan.. But I am just wondering since it is a sidekick plan will it matter if I use these options on the Iphone??
    You should be fine using anything data-consuming (including email or youtube) and picture messaging (unless you have the prepaid plan which doesn't include unlimited MMS/Picture messaging).
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

blinblin407 (03-27-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joefx13 View Post
    Those settings work fine for me. And im on the sidekick plan as well. Try to reboot the phone, and then request auto settings and use any of them. Also, change the phone setting to Nokia N95 if you are having image resizing issues.

Also, for the APN just use hiptop.t-mobile.com, leave user and password blank.
    what mmsc and proxy are you using for the sidekick plan to work with swirlymms? i cant get mine to work with any of the given ones