Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 141

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: How to: t-zones without using proxy.pac file

  1. #1
    Lightbulb How to: t-zones without using proxy.pac file
    Hello all,

    Just doing a little bit of research I found a way to get the t-zones ($5.99) internet working without using the proxy.pac file. You will still need to modify the preferences.plist file though.

    I am posting this to inform everyone of my findings, as this method seems to be just a tiny bit cleaner in overall configuration.

    Procedure:

    1) Uninstall or manually remove any previous t-zones proxy hacks.
    2) Delete the proxy.pac file (not required).
    3) Add the lines highlighted in red to the preferences.plist file. Mine was located at /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.

    (Only modify the section with DeviceName "ip1")
    Code:
    /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
    
    	<key>Interface</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>DeviceName</key>
    		<string>ip1</string>
    		<key>Hardware</key>
    		<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    		<key>Type</key>
    		<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    	</dict>
    	<key>Proxies</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>HTTPEnable</key>
    		<integer>1</integer>
    		<key>HTTPPort</key>
    		<integer>8080</integer>
    		<key>HTTPProxy</key>
    		<string>216.155.165.50</string>
    		<key>HTTPSEnable</key>
    		<integer>1</integer>
    		<key>HTTPSPort</key>
    		<integer>8080</integer>
    		<key>HTTPSProxy</key>
    		<string>216.155.165.50</string>
    	</dict>
    	<key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    		<integer>1</integer>
    		<key>Available</key>
    		<integer>1</integer>
    		<key>Setup</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>apn</key>
                            <string>wap.voicestream.com</string>
    			<key>password</key>
    			<string></string>
    			<key>username</key>
    			<string></string>
    		</dict>
    		<key>Version</key>
    		<integer>1</integer>
    	</dict>
    It does not speed anything up as far as I can tell, and there still seems to be the initial delay when first connecting to any of the internet services (i.e. safari, weather, mail, etc.). The only differences is like I said before; it is just a bit cleaner setup.

    Please let me know how it works for you.
    I have tested this on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

    EDIT:
    Thanks to MrEBean...
    I have confirmed that this configuration will also work with firmware 2.0.
    For firmware 2.0 the preferences.plist file will look like the following:

    Code:
    			<key>Interface</key>
    			<dict>
    				<key>DeviceName</key>
    				<string>ip1</string>
    				<key>Hardware</key>
    				<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    				<key>Type</key>
    				<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    				<key>UserDefinedName</key>
    				<string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>
    			</dict>
    			<key>Proxies</key>
    			<dict>
    				<key>HTTPEnable</key>
    				<integer>1</integer>
    				<key>HTTPPort</key>
    				<integer>8080</integer>
    				<key>HTTPProxy</key>
    				<string>216.155.165.50</string>
    				<key>HTTPSEnable</key>
    				<integer>1</integer>
    				<key>HTTPSPort</key>
    				<integer>8080</integer>
    				<key>HTTPSProxy</key>
    				<string>216.155.165.50</string>
    			</dict>
    			<key>UserDefinedName</key>
    			<string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>
    			<key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
    			<dict>
    				<key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    				<integer>1</integer>
    				<key>Available</key>
    				<integer>1</integer>
    				<key>Setup</key>
    				<dict>
    					<key>apn</key>
    					<string>wap.voicestream.com</string>
    					<key>password</key>
    					<string></string>
    					<key>username</key>
    					<string></string>
    				</dict>
    				<key>Version</key>
    				<integer>1</integer>
    Thanks.
    Last edited by freshster; 07-21-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added HTTPS proxy code to fix Google Maps Locate

  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freshster For This Useful Post:

    96hondaex (03-06-2008), alnath (06-24-2008), beaner4sho (09-02-2008), coolusername (08-29-2008), minsong79 (03-01-2008), oh-dawg (03-07-2008), rush (02-29-2008), ~Antonio (04-11-2008)

  3. #2
    It worked!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!

  4. #3
    Do I delete the proxy.pac file via Fugu or what? Do I need any program(s) to add the extra code?
     15" Macbook Pro T8300 | 4GB RAM | 200GB
     24" iMac T7700 | 3GB RAM | 320GB
     iPhone 8GB | 2.2 | T-Mobile

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by phungy View Post
    Do I delete the proxy.pac file via Fugu or what? Do I need any program(s) to add the extra code?
    You can delete the proxy.pac file using any SSH/SFTP program. I used WinSCP on Windows. Again, deleting the proxy.pac file is not necessary.

    The ultimate goal of this proxy configuration is to bypass the use of the proxy.pac script altogether. Bypassing the proxy.pac script is done by making the modifications to the preferences.plist file that I highlighted in red.
    I also used WinSCP to connect to the iphone and modify the preferences.plist file. If you are on a Mac, then there are other SSH/SFTP programs that you can use, but I am unfamiliar with them.

    I hope this clears it up for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    It worked!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!
    You are welcome!
    I am glad to see it worked for you.
    Last edited by freshster; 02-29-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to freshster For This Useful Post:

    phungy (02-29-2008)

  7. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    To add the extra code, just open the file with Notepad and then locate the area where you need to add the code.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ima80baby For This Useful Post:

    phungy (02-29-2008)

  9. #6
    looks like the locator in maps doesn't work with this... but everything else works great... thank you for posting.

  10. #7
    Talking Fixed Google Maps Locate
    Quote Originally Posted by hipzip2002 View Post
    looks like the locator in maps doesn't work with this... but everything else works great... thank you for posting.
    You are absolutely correct, so I investigated it further.
    It seems that Google Maps Locate feature is sending HTTPS requests also.
    Therefore, I have modified my code to include the proxy directions for HTTPS requests.

    Please try my updated preferences.plist settings in the first post.
    Let me know if it works correctly now.

    Thanks for your findings!
    Last edited by freshster; 03-01-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo

  11. #8
    I just have a quick questions..

    Is there any procedure that needs to be done after editing the preference.plist file?

    I used the Fugu to find the preference.plist file, and copied it to my desktop. Then, edited the file according to your instruction. After saving the file, I replaced the preference.plist file on my iPhone with the edited one.

    But, my I always get this 502 error in my safari browser.

    Am I missing something here?


    Thanks~

    Do I have to restart the phone or reset the network setting or anything like that?

    Nevermind. Thanks~~~

    After few minutes later, it just started to work without restarting or anything like that.

    This method worked for me!! (1.1.4)

    Safari works.
    Stock works
    Weather works
    YouTube DOESN'T Work
    Google Map (my location) seems to be working.... May be not... the circle showing my location is just huge!! It kinda tells me what city I am in. Oh well... it's ok.

    Anyway.. Thank you very much~
    Last edited by minsong79; 03-01-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by minsong79 View Post
    After few minutes later, it just started to work without restarting or anything like that.

    This method worked for me!! (1.1.4)

    Safari works.
    Stock works
    Weather works
    YouTube DOESN'T Work
    Google Map (my location) seems to be working.... May be not... the circle showing my location is just huge!! It kinda tells me what city I am in. Oh well... it's ok.

    Anyway.. Thank you very much~
    You are welcome.
    Thank you for the update and information on your experience.

    I think the initial delay is normal when using any of the t-zones hacks. I am not sure why, but maybe the proxy takes a couple minutes to realize the connection? :-)
    Google Maps seems to show my location in the same place when I use Edge AND when I use Wi-Fi. So I would assume that it is working correctly based on the towers around me. Mine ends up showing approx. 2 mile diameter.

    Thanks again.
    Last edited by freshster; 03-01-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo

  13. #10
    I followed these steps but it still is not working for me, any suggestions? And how long is the 'few minutes'? It has been probably ten minutes now. Thank you.

  14. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jdl4kd View Post
    I followed these steps but it still is not working for me, any suggestions? And how long is the 'few minutes'? It has been probably ten minutes now. Thank you.
    It should work pretty quickly.
    If not, try turning the phone off and then back on again.
    There is a 1-2 min delay when first trying to connect.
    I think this is normal for everyone when using the t-zones proxy.
    Good Luck.

  15. #12
    Were do i enter all of this stuff??? im new to this...thanks...on the computer or my iPhone??

  16. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1064 View Post
    Were do i enter all of this stuff??? im new to this...thanks...on the computer or my iPhone??
    The preferences.plist file is located on the iphone, but you will need to use an SSH client to connect to the iphone and edit the file.

    Make sure you have OpenSSH installed on your iphone. Then, use a SSH client from your Windows or Mac computer to connect to your iphone. (there are many guides on the forums on how to do this).
    After you connect to the iphone, open the /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist file for editing and make the changes I listed.

    If you feel uncomfortable in performing any of these steps, I would suggest for you to simply use installer to install the "BigBoss 1.1.3 T-Zones T-Mobile Hack" instead. That is the easiest way for anyone to get their T-Zones working. While my way is cleaner, it does take some experience and knowledge of OSX and SSH.

    Thanks.

  17. #14
    Default cant get this to work
    I got a 1.1.3 8gb OTB, upgraded to 1.1.4, unlocked with Ziphone 2.5. confirmed tzones is activated. Tried the "big boss" tzones hack, wasnt working so I uninstalled the big boss tzones hack and big boss experimental/beta stuff, left community sources, BSD sub, and open SSH installed.

    was having trouble accessing the root using Transmit, kept saying permission denied, upgraded version of Transmit, then used pw: alpine, it worked, got the plist, changed exactly as described, loaded it on the phone, verified it stuck, restarted iphone....

    still no edge network access, any ideas or anyone else having this happen?

  18. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nparker View Post
    I got a 1.1.3 8gb OTB, upgraded to 1.1.4, unlocked with Ziphone 2.5. confirmed tzones is activated. Tried the "big boss" tzones hack, wasnt working so I uninstalled the big boss tzones hack and big boss experimental/beta stuff, left community sources, BSD sub, and open SSH installed.

    was having trouble accessing the root using Transmit, kept saying permission denied, upgraded version of Transmit, then used pw: alpine, it worked, got the plist, changed exactly as described, loaded it on the phone, verified it stuck, restarted iphone....

    still no edge network access, any ideas or anyone else having this happen?
    Hmmm... Sounds like you did everything correctly.
    Did you try each online application, like Safari, Weather, Google Maps, and Mail? After each reset, it does take a couple minutes to initially start working.
    Do you get any errors when trying to browse?
    Did you add the <string>wap.voicestream.com</string> listed in my code? It is further down in my code and sometimes gets hidden from view.
    Can you post the contents of your preferences.plist file for verification?

  19. #16
    Default still not working
    Safari says can't connect to server, weather says update failed, etc. When I opened safari it prompted me to join a network, dont want to do that cause I want to make sure edge works...
    waited 30 min, nothing. Is there an "E" or something that should appear where the wifi signal normally appears at the top?

    here is the plist, this wont post exactly with the spacing but I matched the spacing exactly as posted above:
    .....
    <dict>
    <key>Interface</key>
    <dict>
    <key>DeviceName</key>
    <string>ip1</string>
    <key>Hardware</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    <key>Type</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Proxies</key>
    <dict>
    <key>HTTPEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>HTTPPort</key>
    <integer>8080</integer>
    <key>HTTPProxy</key>
    <string>216.155.165.50</string>
    <key>HTTPSEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>HTTPSPort</key>
    <integer>8080</integer>
    <key>HTTPSProxy</key>
    <string>216.155.165.50</string>
    </dict>
    <key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
    <dict>
    <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Available</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Setup</key>
    <dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.voicestream.com</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string></string>
    </dict>
    <key>Version</key>
    .....
    Last edited by Nparker; 03-06-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: shortaning to vital info

  20. #17
    I am new user on my iphone got it unlocked and it's working fine with t-mobile i am triying to do the t-zones hack but i cannot get winscp to read my iphone because i don't have any connection to the internet no edge or wifi and installer it's not working and the firmware is 1.1.4 ...please help me, thank you

    hi, I am a new user connected my iphone to iphone browser can't find the preferences plist file on my iphone ...I have firmware 1.1.4 my phone is unlocked and its working fine with t-mobile wanted to do the t-zones hack ..if you can please help me , Thank you
    Last edited by raquelvsuarez; 03-05-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nparker View Post
    Safari says can't connect to server, weather says update failed, etc. When I opened safari it prompted me to join a network, dont want to do that cause I want to make sure edge works...
    waited 30 min, nothing. Is there an "E" or something that should appear where the wifi signal normally appears at the top?
    There should definitely be an "E" appearing at the top where the wifi signal usually is, but only when an Edge connection is present. This "E" will show up even without the t-zones proxy hack in place. Wifi should be off or out of range for the "E" to appear instead of the wifi signal.

    If you are not getting the "E" to show up, then you are not getting a good Edge connection to the cell towers.

    Other then that, your preferences.plist settings look correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by raquelvsuarez View Post
    I am new user on my iphone got it unlocked and it's working fine with t-mobile i am triying to do the t-zones hack but i cannot get winscp to read my iphone because i don't have any connection to the internet no edge or wifi and installer it's not working and the firmware is 1.1.4 ...please help me, thank you

    hi, I am a new user connected my iphone to iphone browser can't find the preferences plist file on my iphone ...I have firmware 1.1.4 my phone is unlocked and its working fine with t-mobile wanted to do the t-zones hack ..if you can please help me , Thank you
    There should be information on these forums for getting your wifi connected to your home internet. I am unfamiliar with iphone browser. Once you get SSH installed on your iphone using Installer, follow this link to learn how to use WinSCP. http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows

    If you insist on using iphone browser, the only thing I can tell you is to copy the file to your pc and edit it as I have documented, then copy it back to the iphone.

    Good Luck.
    Last edited by freshster; 03-05-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  22. #19
    ...i tried to work with winscp but i didn't have a ip address or the host name to make the connection with my iphone and my installer doesn't make any connection with any of the sources...
    Thank You

  23. #20
    ok, so I am now thinking it may be one of 2 issues. either my brand new iphone is broken and has no edge, or T mobile's edge network kind of sucks in Los Angeles. Should I see an E anywhere there is a T mobile signal? or is EDGE only in limited areas? like hot spots or something?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •