Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to: t-zones without using proxy.pac file

I am not totally sure about why Apple contradicts themselves with their "feature" sets. My guess would be that they probably introduced the timed email check feature and later found out that the battery drain was unacceptable when keeping the wifi/edge radio stack active. Therefore their "fix" was to implement a new "feature" that would disable the network connections when sleeping (and running on battery power). Maybe Apple plans on implementing a "network sleep" on/off setting that is user configurable in some future firmware update? Only time will tell...

While I feel that this is a plausible explanation, it is simply my opinion.

this methd is so much better, but how do i get youtube to work? i installed the patch from cydia but still a no go.

I am not sure which patch from Cydia you are talking about. youTube barely works on Edge, and I mean barely! IT's not even worth trying to use on Edge. Usually, I have to open it up with WiFi, and then switch to Edge before I can get anything to play. I don't think that youTube functions were designed to work over Edge at all. It definitely works great on WiFi though. We will probably have to wait for 3G infrastructure and the 3G iPhone for youTube to work correctly without WiFi.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer for you.

oops sorry i meant installer.app but it works fine with mine. you just need to have good signal for edge to work correctly. also, i used the method from the first thread and also installed bigboss' tzone hack then the youtube patch for 1.1.4. maybe you should try that and see if it will work

Freshster, I know some people have the issue of getting "Youtube not available" when trying youtube using tzones edge. Is the Youtube 1.1.4 fix in installer.app meant to fix this, also, has anyone looked at this solution:
    http://tonystech.blogspot.com/2007/0...d-iphones.html

Are the above solutions means for people who can't use youtube even with wifi or are these fixes that will work with tzones?

Youtube works perfectly fine on wifi, but for example on edge I have to refresh the youtube 'most viewed' page using wifi and then watch the videos with edge, with the message 'youtube not available' (using edge, although watching videos works as long as bookmarked or on the page). So basically using edge I can see the 'most viewed on youtube' page, because it was refreshed by the wifi, and the message 'youtube not available still pops up. Is this because I have the 5.99 tzones plan?
    Last edited by m600i; 04-16-2008 at 12:39 AM.

m600i, All of the YouTube fixes that I have seen (either on Installer or the Forums) are remnants from the days when the upgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 (can't remember which) caused YouTube to stop working, even on WiFi. The YouTube fix was required back then because some of the methods for activating the iphone did not include the YouTube certificate required to access YouTube.

Now-a-days, all methods of activation do not require the YouTube fix. YouTube works fine without fixes. Also, I have not seen any YouTube fix that makes a difference on Edge. All YouTube fixes are directed toward "Cannot Connect" errors when using WiFi.

If YouTube is working on your iphone with WiFi then you do not need to install the YouTube fix. It will not make a difference with Edge. I believe most problems with using YouTube over Edge is directly related to Edge signal quality and speed. It is very difficult for me to get YouTube working in some places over Edge, but then it works somewhat in other places.
    Last edited by freshster; 04-16-2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Added Comments...

freshster once again thank you for your input and response. Just trying to play catch up on iphone related issues.

I downloaded WinSCP. I'm not quite sure on how to use to the program. Its asking me for a login.....Can someone please help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kescobar84 View Post
    I downloaded WinSCP. I'm not quite sure on how to use to the program. Its asking me for a login.....Can someone please help me?
    You have a lot of reading to do. This site is great for all the info you may need...

To get started, you will need to use the following username and password to connect to iphone with WinSCP:

username: root
    password: alpine

10. The Following User Says Thank You to freshster For This Useful Post:

Kescobar84 (04-19-2008)

Hey,

I was wondering, I'm with Orange and they also require a proxy for cheap (well, it's 6€ here not $ ) internet, shouldn't this work?

<key>Proxies</key>
    <dict>
    <key>HTTPEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>HTTPPort</key>
    <integer>5080</integer>
    <key>HTTPProxy</key>
    <string>10.250.255.188</string>
    <key>HTTPSEnable</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>HTTPSPort</key>
    <integer>8080</integer>
    <key>HTTPSProxy</key>
    <string>216.155.165.50</string>
    </dict>
    <key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
    <dict>
    <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Available</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Setup</key>
    <dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>PASSWORD</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>0628000000</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
    Hey,

I was wondering, I'm with Orange and they also require a proxy for cheap (well, it's 6 here not $ ) internet, shouldn't this work?

Thanks in advance!
    As long as you have all of the fields set correctly for Orange, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I am not familiar with the Orange configurations, so I could be wrong.
    Did you try it?
    Let us know what the results are when you do.

Thanks for your reply.

The settings in there are the same as on my Windows Mobile (eek) phone, but it doesn't work neithir with only this or the proxy.pac for some reason.

There's also a username and password needed: (dont worry they're the same for everyone)

APN: wap
    Username: 0628000000
    Password: PASSWORD

I tried these in the config above and using them to authenticate with the proxy server, but nothing seems to work. However when I remove these from the EDGE settings menu the error message changens, with it says "could not activate EDGE", and without it says "could not activate EDGE. You are not subscribed to EDGE".

Strangest thing is even with the proxy cofig enabled, when I connect to the APN "internet", which has a 25MB limit and shouldn't work with proxy, it works..

So I'm thinking the iPhone isn't using the proxy for some reason, but what could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried these in the config above and using them to authenticate with the proxy server, but nothing seems to work. However when I remove these from the EDGE settings menu the error message changens, with it says "could not activate EDGE", and without it says "could not activate EDGE. You are not subscribed to EDGE".

Strangest thing is even with the proxy cofig enabled, when I connect to the APN "internet", which has a 25MB limit and shouldn't work with proxy, it works..

So I'm thinking the iPhone isn't using the proxy for some reason, but what could it be?
    My guess would be that the APN "internet" works probably because there is some logic in the OS/browser use of the proxy fields. Most likely the browser will attempt to use the proxy configuration first, and then default back to no proxy if the proxy connection attempt failed. The only other scenario would be if the proxy was actually redirecting your attempts based on the APN "internet". Ether way, your result is APN "internet" works, but with the 25MB limit you suggested.

As far as getting the proxy hack to work with the Orange configuration you provided, I am not able to help you with. I am on T-Mobile USA and I do not have a way to test the Orange proxy connection. Maybe someone else on this forum has some experience with the Orange proxy setup and may be able to chime in, or help you troubleshoot it.

If you figure something out regarding Orange connectivity to the proxy, please post it here so that other Orange users may benefit from your experience. Until then, good luck.

Ah thanks, that OS/browser logic would explain it.

BiteSMS is promising wap proxy support in their next release which should be imminent, I guess I'll just wait for that and if that doesn't work either give Orange a call if they're blocking the iPhone.

On that note, Orange is migrating their customers to T-mobile so maybe the proxy changed.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies

fwiw, this is still working on 2.0

here is where i stuck the lines of code. it worked for me =)

<string>ip1</string>
    <key>Hardware</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    <key>Type</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    <key>UserDefinedName</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Proxies</key>
    <dict>
    <key>HTTPEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>HTTPPort</key>
    <integer>8080</integer>
    <key>HTTPProxy</key>
    <key>HTTPSEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>HTTPSPort</key>
    <integer>8080</integer>
    <key>HTTPSProxy</key>
    </dict>

<key>UserDefinedName</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>

good luck

MrEBean,
    Thank you for confirming that this configuration works with firmware 2.0.
    I have updated the my first post to reflect this information.

Thanks again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to freshster For This Useful Post:

dalethefarmer (09-05-2008)

Default internet disconnecting
    hi freshster, i was wondering if i did something wrong. every time my iphone goes into key lock (where you have to slide the bar to unlock), my internet connection disconnects. is that suppose to happen? is one of my settings incorrect?

Dang! this means to have the T-Zones you need to mod the file and this would apply to any SIMs you put in? If i replace my T-MO with the AT&T one, once the device tries to attach itself to the AT&T network, it will be granted access to the APN, IP assigned, etc... these proxy settings will still be there, and therefore, you woulnd't be able to hit any site, as the route will never be found. :-(

Unless there's something that happens with each MCC/MNC that I am unaware of... proxies by network? Where in the plist can you specify to which one it applies?!?

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman1784 View Post
    hi freshster, i was wondering if i did something wrong. every time my iphone goes into key lock (where you have to slide the bar to unlock), my internet connection disconnects. is that suppose to happen? is one of my settings incorrect?
    Yes, this is by Apple's design.
    Please read my previous post in this thread.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t-mobil...tml#post711631

Quote Originally Posted by lbarouf View Post
    Dang! this means to have the T-Zones you need to mod the file and this would apply to any SIMs you put in? If i replace my T-MO with the AT&T one, once the device tries to attach itself to the AT&T network, it will be granted access to the APN, IP assigned, etc... these proxy settings will still be there, and therefore, you woulnd't be able to hit any site, as the route will never be found. :-(

Unless there's something that happens with each MCC/MNC that I am unaware of... proxies by network? Where in the plist can you specify to which one it applies?!?
    For multiple networks, you might want to use the proxy.pac file configuration. That way you can specify various providers by IP address, and tell them which proxy to use. That way might be the easiest for that type of scenario.
    Last edited by freshster; 07-23-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Freshster,
    I did the steps that you mentioned for the 2.0 firmware, but I still can't connect to the internet. I signed up for tzones 5.99 last week in case you're wondering.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast