+ Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to: t-zones without using proxy.pac file

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by poohp Someone on another forum told me to put ":26" at the end of my apn. I did that and nothing seemed different, except that the flower/dial
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poohp View Post
    Someone on another forum told me to put ":26" at the end of my apn. I did that and nothing seemed different, except that the flower/dial kept spinning longer than usual to check the mail - nearly 5 minutes. In the end, mail came in and mail DID NOT GO OUT. So I took away the ":26".

Back to square one.
    Thanks though....any other thoughts?
    I see. Sorry I misunderstood you.

I have never heard of :26 helping in any way.

Just to be sure of my mail settings and proxy setup, I sent a test email out from one my email accounts to my other email account and everything worked perfectly on the iphone.

The only thing I can say to try and help is to maybe double check your email settings, based on what your email provider requires for SMTP connection (maybe they need SSL turned on and different ports?).
    I know that is not much help; it seems you have already modified your settings correctly, based on your reply.

Other then that, I can't think of anything else that would cause the outgoing mail to just stop working.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freshster View Post
    I see. Sorry I misunderstood you.

I have never heard of :26 helping in any way.

Just to be sure of my mail settings and proxy setup, I sent a test email out from one my email accounts to my other email account and everything worked perfectly on the iphone.

The only thing I can say to try and help is to maybe double check your email settings, based on what your email provider requires for SMTP connection (maybe they need SSL turned on and different ports?).
    I know that is not much help; it seems you have already modified your settings correctly, based on your reply.

Other then that, I can't think of anything else that would cause the outgoing mail to just stop working.

Thanks so much! This is the best response that I've gotten anywhere.

I do a test everytime I reset the thing or find another solution. Since my wifi works, I turn off wifi. Then I create a message on the iphone, then I send it using EDGE. It never goes of course. Then I turn wifi on, and the message goes. I check my desktop computer to see if the mail comes through. Yes it does (via wifi of course). I do the same thing w/ recieving mail. I test it by sending myself something from the desktop computer to the phone (on and off w/ the wifi again). Mail comes through with and without wifi.

If you stumble across an answer, reply back here or make a new thread. I've been checking this daily for answers. Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can delete the proxy.pac file using any SSH/SFTP program. I used WinSCP on Windows. Again, deleting the proxy.pac file is not necessary.

The ultimate goal of this proxy configuration is to bypass the use of the proxy.pac script altogether. Bypassing the proxy.pac script is done by making the modifications to the preferences.plist file that I highlighted in red.
    I also used WinSCP to connect to the iphone and modify the preferences.plist file. If you are on a Mac, then there are other SSH/SFTP programs that you can use, but I am unfamiliar with them.

I hope this clears it up for you.

You are welcome!
    I am glad to see it worked for you.
    I did everything as you instructed, so when I opened up the webpage it says, "internal error" You do not have access to <URL name>/"

is there anyway you can get this to fix? Yahoo.com does work but not the rest of the URL.

"You must be signed up for T-Zones ($5.99) plan with T-Mobile."

So I have to sign up for T-Zone in order to use this hack?
    Last edited by misdirection; 03-13-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misdirection View Post
    So I have to sign up for T-Zone in order to use this hack?
    Yes.

There have been others on this site that have claimed that they were able to use T-Zones without actually signing up and paying for the service. I have yet to confirm that for myself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madrich's Avatar
    Thanks

I have it (legit) through my prepaid tmo, but it's limited to a few websites.' CNN, ABC, ESPN.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doing the DFU restore and putting the phone back to factory settings would rewrite this code you have rewritten correct? If so then why would you worry about rewriting the code phoop? Also freshster and everyone else are you using t-mobile in the US? I am considering using t-mobile since at&t does not get reception where i work, and t-mobile is cheaper.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raaron12 View Post
    Doing the DFU restore and putting the phone back to factory settings would rewrite this code you have rewritten correct? If so then why would you worry about rewriting the code phoop?
    I am not sure that I understand your comments and question to phoop.
    Quote Originally Posted by raaron12 View Post
    Also freshster and everyone else are you using t-mobile in the US? I am considering using t-mobile since at&t does not get reception where i work, and t-mobile is cheaper.
    Yes, I am using T-Mobile in the U.S.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My question was, does doing a restore rewrite the files you changed back to how they were originally.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes, you are correct.
    Doing a restore through iTunes will wipe out any configuration changes made.
    Also, performing an "Reset All Settings" OR "Reset Network Settings" from the iphone itself will wipe out any configuration changes made.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to freshster For This Useful Post:

raaron12 (03-21-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How well does the t-zones service work? Can you view all webpages? I know youtube doesnt work but what else are you limited too?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only things that I found doesn't work on edge are youTube (some videos actually work, but slow) and iTunes. Everything else including all web pages work ok.
    T-Zones usually gets about 150kbps depending on signal quality for edge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only things that I found doesn't work on edge are youTube (some videos actually work, but slow) and iTunes. Everything else including all web pages work ok.
    T-Zones usually gets about 150kbps depending on signal quality for edge.
    Interesting that you mention your speed. I am getting half of that speed and I have full signal strength on my meter. I was considering canceling the Tzones because the speed is so slow that it is not a pleasure to use.

Maybe there are some other suggestions for speeding this up? TIA

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am not aware of any way to speed up the Edge connection.
    Your speed will be related to many factors including GSM signal strength, Edge connection quality (not to be confused with GSM signal strength), and physical obstacles. All of these factors cannot be controlled by us...

My suggestion would be to be aware of your surroundings and check often to see if your speed increases in some areas, while decreasing in other areas. Then make a mental note of those areas where your speed is optimal for browsing.

Just to let you know, I just ran 5 consecutive Edge speed tests from inetworktest.com.

My results ranged from a low of 90kbps to a high of 163kbps. I receive a higher speed when I raised the iphone in the air over my head and pointed it toward the window. The lower speeds seem to occur when I was holding the iphone in my hand at waist height.
    This seems to be a very big difference in speed for simply moving the iphone approx. 3-4 feet. It just goes to show how erratic the Edge speed and quality can be.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by freshster; 03-29-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am not aware of any way to speed up the Edge connection.
    Your speed will be related to many factors including GSM signal strength, Edge connection quality (not to be confused with GSM signal strength), and physical obstacles. All of these factors cannot be controlled by us...

My suggestion would be to be aware of your surroundings and check often to see if your speed increases in some areas, while decreasing in other areas. Then make a mental note of those areas where your speed is optimal for browsing.

Just to let you know, I just ran 5 consecutive Edge speed tests from inetworktest.com.

My results ranged from a low of 90kbps to a high of 163kbps. I receive a higher speed when I raised the iphone in the air over my head and pointed it toward the window. The lower speeds seem to occur when I was holding the iphone in my hand at waist height.
    This seems to be a very big difference in speed for simply moving the iphone approx. 3-4 feet. It just goes to show how erratic the Edge speed and quality can be.

Good Luck.
    Thank you for the very useful information. I will try to see if there are ways to get a better transfer rate.

Holding the iPhone over your head cannot be a comfortable way to use it. lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrainDamage View Post
    Holding the iPhone over your head cannot be a comfortable way to use it. lol
    Very true!
    It usually leads to my arms falling asleep.
    LOL

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This method works as well as the proxy.pac method, but yes is cleaner, and I would much rather have it coded into the xml than running off a function script.

Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Glad to see you agree, and thank you for the comments.
    I am not sure why the proxy.pac script is so popular...
    Maybe I am missing something?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your mod works great freshster, but I have a question, why does it seem (no matter what hack I use for tzones) that I have to wake up edge twice to make things work after being in standby for a while.

(1) For example, why do I have to check weather twice or stocks app twice to have it update. Safari always works right away though. For example, if I try Safari first, then weather, the weather updates right away. As soon as weather updates then stocks will update instantly or email will update.

(2) If I try weather or stocks after turning on and off airplane mode or just having it come out of standby mode(after maybe 20 mins) or just restarting the phone, then I'll have to check weather twice to make it update.

(3) Even email is the same: say I have it check email every hour. If before it checks email I hadn't used edge a little earlier, then it wont check email automatically, although I can still check it manually.

So what I'm saying is I have to use or wake up the edge connection close to the time I have it check email again, if I want it to actually check it, otherwise it won't. Is the iphone defective or is this just a bug? Does anyone else need to wake up their edge connection to make things work?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m600i View Post
    Your mod works great freshster, but I have a question, why does it seem (no matter what hack I use for tzones) that I have to wake up edge twice to make things work after being in standby for a while.
    ... Is the iphone defective or is this just a bug? Does anyone else need to wake up their edge connection to make things work?
    Your iphone is not defective. The problem is two fold...

Problem 1: In firmware 1.1.4 (not sure about other versions) Apple included a "feature" that stops all network connections 30 seconds after you lock/sleep the iphone. This helps to increase the battery run time. If you would like to disable this "feature", you can use a program called Insomnia: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39341

Problem 2: IMO the T-Mobile proxy needs to re-cache your session after it has been disconnected for some time (not sure how long). It does take 2 or 3 initial connections before working. This seems to be the problem that everyone experiences with the T-Zones proxy and is not related to your setup only.

My guess would be that when our iphones go to sleep all network sessions are disconnected and therefore need to be re-established entirely. Even though you are talking about the Edge connection, I have noticed that the same thing happens to my wifi. After I awake the iphone from sleep, I normally have to wait 20-30 sec for the wifi to reconnect before weather and stocks will work successfully. If I awake the iphone and immediately try to open weather or stocks, the session will time out and will not work. I then have to exit the app and reopen it to establish a successful connection.

This is all just my opinion and I hope it makes as much sense to you as it I feel it does to me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

freshster thank you for that response I feel much better now, but I have to ask, if apple included this 'feature' to stop all network connections after sleep, how do they expect us to know when we receive new e-mail if we have it set to check every hour and the phone is in standby (and the network hasn't been previously woken up before auto checking)?