Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to: t-zones without using proxy.pac file

Quote Originally Posted by raquelvsuarez View Post
    ...i tried to work with winscp but i didn't have a ip address or the host name to make the connection with my iphone and my installer doesn't make any connection with any of the sources...
    Thank You
    Sounds like you are not connecting to your home wifi correctly.
    Does your wifi settings show your home ip address; by using the instructions in the previous link I sent you?

Default edit, 3rd theory
    I called tmobile and they said anywhere you have a phone signal there should be an edge signal too. popped my SIM into my old phone, sure enough, no E. Is it possible my SIM is too old to work with EDGE? I have had this sim for probably 6 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nparker View Post
    I called tmobile and they said anywhere you have a phone signal there should be an edge signal too. popped my SIM into my old phone, sure enough, no E. Is it possible my SIM is too old to work with EDGE? I have had this sim for probably 6 years or more.
    That is quite possible, but my sim card is approx 6-7 years old and I don't have a problem with it. Maybe mine is just new enough and yours is just old enough?
    Have you ever had Edge working on any phone with that sim?
    Last edited by freshster; 03-05-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo

...No the wifi settings on my iphone arre not showing my home network I cannot make a connection between both of them ...open winscp i don't know what to write anywhere in order to make the connection....I'am sorry i know all this is suppose to be simple but i am new to this ...Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by raquelvsuarez View Post
    ...No the wifi settings on my iphone arre not showing my home network I cannot make a connection between both of them ...open winscp i don't know what to write anywhere in order to make the connection....I'am sorry i know all this is suppose to be simple but i am new to this ...Thank You
    WinSCP is totally dependent on wifi being setup correctly.
    Without the wifi connected, you will never get WinSCP to connect.

Without knowing your home wifi setup, I am at a loss to help.
    You will definitely need to get your iPhone connected to your home wifi before even thinking about continuing with WinSCP or plist editing.

How do you normally connect your laptops or computers to your home wifi?
    Follow that same settings for the iPhone wifi.

Default solved
    ok so here is the update, it was the sim card. I called tmobile and told them i lost my sim and was using an old one now (since I have had this card for a while). I asked if I needed a new sim to make edge work (told them it was for a new tmobile phone i had). They said you can get a replacement at a tmobile store but the lady could just refresh my account and link everything to my current sim (i did all this while I was calling from the iphone).

took about 30 min of whatever they were doing but she said everything was refreshed and good to go, got a text to confirm it was all set, so i turned wifi off, power cycled the iphone, BAM! EDGE is on...

safari works
    weather works
    maps work
    stocks work
    youtube "not available", but who cares, I'm not going to spend too much time watching youtube, if i need to i can use the wifi or do it from a computer.

Thanks for the help freshster, this is way better than having to install those other hacks, its simple. I like it.

Default Congrats...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nparker View Post
    Thanks for the help freshster, this is way better than having to install those other hacks, its simple. I like it.
    That is great to hear you got it working!
    I am glad to see it was fixed over the phone and you didn't even have to step foot into a T-Mobile store. I guess customer service does work.

Yeah, I always prefer the manual and direct way for hacks. Then, at least I know exactly what was changed and how to change it back if needed.

Enjoy your Edge!

i did everything like you sad but my phone wont go online any suggestions?

mines said error 502-bad request
    the server could not resolve your request for uri:/
    Last edited by rmlavielle; 03-06-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by rmlavielle View Post

I have the same problem.. although, I only added t-zones to my account last night.. so about 12 hours ago.. but my email works (sending and receiving).. nothing else works..

Does this hack need the APN set to wap.voicestream.com in the EDGE Settings? I dont believe it was mentioned here whether it was needed or not, but the proxy.pac hack seems to need it..

regardless, it doesnt work for me either way.. I figured its the "up to 72 hour" thing to get t-zones.. but what I thought was weird was my email does work (presumably via EDGE), but nothing else..

Anyone got any ideas? Did anyone else notice when they added t-zones that the email was working before weather, safari, google maps, etc?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks. That worked for me.

I resolved my issue and can say now that this hack works perfect on 1.1.4

I think I realize what happened.. the first time I had looked at the preferences.plist file, it was about 3K in size (brand new, never had a SIM card in it). I noticed that the section (ip1) that I was supposed to modify wasnt even there.

I then popped my TMobile SIM in it, tested it out, then checked the preferences.plist file and it was about 5K in size. I looked for and found the "ip1" section, added the additional lines of XML and then uploaded it back to the phone. However, right around this time was when I also added TZones to my account (probably just before modifying the preferences.plist file).

I'm guessing when my TZones became active, it had updated my preferences.plist file? I went to work in the morning, but didnt get a chance to check the preferences file again until I got home. When I checked the file on the phone in the evening, I noticed it had become 7K in size and my modifications were gone (probably also because I had done a Network Settings reset during the day after reading through the forum).

After reapplying the hack, everything started working (minus YouTube.. although I can see the "Featured" video links and it did attempt to play a video but stopped after a few seconds and said it couldnt connect to YouTube).

Thanks, Freshster

Default 4 requirements for this hack to work...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmlavielle View Post

Can you post more info about your configuration and problem?
    Do you get the Edge icon at the top?
    Please post or PM me the "ip1" section of your preferences.plist file for verification.

Reading NParker's and oh-dawg's posts in this thead might solve most connection problems.

There are 4 things that must be in place for this proxy hack to work:
    1) You must be signed up for T-Zones ($5.99) plan with T-Mobile.
    2) You must be in a signal area great enough for Edge to work. (This is visable by the Edge icon (E) in the status bar of the iphone.)
    3) You must modify the preferences.plist file exactly like I documented in the first post.
    4) You must verify that your APN is set correctly to "wap.voicestream.com". (located in settings->general->network->edge)

Be sure and verify those 4 things. Once everything is configured or verified, reboot the iphone and start enjoying the internet.

2 freshster
    Works great, thanks.

I really don't feel comfortable editing pref file, so I've done the tzone hack through installer. I am running 1.1.4 and running the tzone hack 1.1.3. It used to work for a week. Everything still works, with the exception of outgoing mail. I am not able to send any mail out on EDGE. Outgoing mail works on WIFI, but not EDGE. Someone on another board suggested I use another hack through Installer, but the one I'm using is the only one that I know of that BigBoss has put out. Any suggestions would be MOST APPRECIATED!!!

I got it to work, I had it working with proxy.pac too but this seemed simpler. My EDGE is just very slow, I'm getting a whopping 9.9 kbps!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poohp View Post
    I really don't feel comfortable editing pref file, so I've done the tzone hack through installer. I am running 1.1.4 and running the tzone hack 1.1.3. It used to work for a week. Everything still works, with the exception of outgoing mail. I am not able to send any mail out on EDGE. Outgoing mail works on WIFI, but not EDGE. Someone on another board suggested I use another hack through Installer, but the one I'm using is the only one that I know of that BigBoss has put out. Any suggestions would be MOST APPRECIATED!!!
    Double check your mail settings...
    Has anything changed since your mail stopped working?

The proxy.pac file way uses a script that checks to see if your ip address is in the 10.x.x.x subnet (which is T-mobile's Edge ip subnet), then it redirects your internet requests to the T-Mobile proxy. I feel that this causes extra overhead that is simply not necessary, and can slow down the browsers connection at each request.

I know you aren't comfortable with editing the pref file, but I do feel the way I have documented here is a better way to perform the proxy configuration. It follows the same documentation for configuration of a network proxy in Mac OSX.

Try it, and let me know if you have any problems along the way.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lace View Post
    I got it to work, I had it working with proxy.pac too but this seemed simpler. My EDGE is just very slow, I'm getting a whopping 9.9 kbps!!!!
    Was your Edge performing that slow using the proxy.pac method as well?
    Mine performs at ~150kbps with both methods.
    Last edited by freshster; 03-10-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to freshster For This Useful Post:

poohp (03-10-2008)

I don't think anything has changed. In fact, on Sunday or maybe Sat, I did a DFU restore and ziphoned it again. I started from scratch. I downloaded only 2 sources (Community Sources and BSD Subsystem), then I loaded the TMobile Tweek 1.1.3. Tried turning off my wifi and got the Edge. Surfed on safari, updated weather, retrieved email.....sent an email....and it said "could not connect to stmp.......server" This is the same message I get everytime I try to send mail (although I can receive mail). And again, everything worked fine in WIFI mode.

My brother (who knows computers) says something about tmo might be doing something about blocking a proxy..dunno...not a computer person. I do know that I'm really hesitant to try and manually mod this proxy thing that you've so nicely outlined. I really don't want to brick my phone (just got it 2 weeks ago).

What I don't understand is, why am I the only one having this problem. I've tried other forums and no one is reallly helpful or knows what to do because I don't get very many repsonses.

So then I started thinking that it was the tmo in my area that was having problems and not the iphone. Problem is, I don't even know what tzones is like using the iphone (never used it....always had the hack) and I wouldn't even know how to disconnect it (really don't want to go through the whole process of DFU'ing it again).

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for at least responding to my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by poohp View Post
    I don't think anything has changed. In fact, on Sunday or maybe Sat, I did a DFU restore and ziphoned it again. I started from scratch. I downloaded only 2 sources (Community Sources and BSD Subsystem), then I loaded the TMobile Tweek 1.1.3.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for at least responding to my previous post.
    A restore of the phone is a BIG change.

I am assuming that when you restored the iphone, you also did a restore of your data in itunes, which also restored your email accounts.
    After restoring your email accounts, you need to go into the email settings on the iphone and configure the SMTP settings with your username and password. By default, the username and passwords do not get restored automatically (for security reasons). It defaults to "Optional" which is greyed out, but requires you to manually enter this info for your outgoing mail to work.

Give it a try and let me know if I am off base with my diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by freshster View Post
    Was your Edge performing that slow using the proxy.pac method as well?
    Mine performs at ~150kbps with both methods.
    When I first used the proxy hack I was getting about 150, then IDK what happend and I started getting really slow speeds. And it seems like my speeds are slower with this version of the hack. I tried to put the proxy version back on but it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by freshster View Post
    A restore of the phone is a BIG change.

I am assuming that when you restored the iphone, you also did a restore of your data in itunes, which also restored your email accounts.
    After restoring your email accounts, you need to go into the email settings on the iphone and configure the SMTP settings with your username and password. By default, the username and passwords do not get restored automatically (for security reasons). It defaults to "Optional" which is greyed out, but requires you to manually enter this info for your outgoing mail to work.

Give it a try and let me know if I am off base with my diagnosis.
    OOOHHHH, no (you've misunderstood me).....yes, I did the DFU restore. Yes, I did reinput EVERYTHING again (which includes reinputting apn password, mail accounts, everything). So much so that it's running the same as it did before I did the DFU restore. The only reason I did that was that this whole EDGE thing w/ the mail and all was working for 5 days, then outgoing mail stopped going on EDGE...thus the thought that something went wrong on the phone itself...so I did a DFU restore (just to get a clean slate going).

Someone on another forum told me to put ":26" at the end of my apn. I did that and nothing seemed different, except that the flower/dial kept spinning longer than usual to check the mail - nearly 5 minutes. In the end, mail came in and mail DID NOT GO OUT. So I took away the ":26".

Back to square one.
    Thanks though....any other thoughts?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast