Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Don't know what else to do!

Default Don't know what else to do!
    Hey all

I have an i phone 3g (2.1) with a turbo sim. it works perfectly when connected to wi-fi, meaning maps and internet and everything but once i go onto edge nothing works except phone and text messages

I had epc.tmobile.com as my APN before but then it stopped working. I also tried wap.voicestream.com and internet2.voicestream.com (or whatever that last one is) I dont know what to try next because nothing seems to work for me.

I'm just looking for any help on what to do to get everything to work when not connected to wi-fi! any advice would be great! thanks

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You have to have a Tmo Data plan. So do you?

Yes, i am actually with the Sidekick plan right now. so if i put my sim card into a sidekick i would have full internet access

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I have heard different things about the sidekick plan....some say it wont work because its specifically for the sidekick (like trying a blackberry data plan on another phone, wont work). I do believe the sidekick plan uses different APN's...so you would certainly need to use those.

However, again...from what I know - Im not sure the sidekick plan will work.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    I have heard different things about the sidekick plan....some say it wont work because its specifically for the sidekick (like trying a blackberry data plan on another phone, wont work). I do believe the sidekick plan uses different APN's...so you would certainly need to use those.

However, again...from what I know - Im not sure the sidekick plan will work.
    I htink it does work though because epc.tmobile.com worked fine with the sidekick plan

Alright but if i change my plan from the sidekick plan to a different plan, what would i do then with that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can either go with tzones (5.99) or the BIS (19.99). Tzones requires a proxy hack because it's meant for phones with minimal browsers. BIS accesses the full internet and no proxy is needed.
    iPhone 4 Running 6.1.2 on TMo
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

ok so if i switch to one of those plans, what woudl be the next step? and is it guaranteed to work...? Becuase i dont want to go throuhg all of those hassles and then for it not to work, do you know what i mean?

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you use the TZones, your APN will be the WAP address. If you have BIS, your APN will be the internet2 address. The WAP will need the proxy hack, because its a restrictive ports service. The other is all ports open, full access. Which is why it costs more.
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

what's different between speed on bis or tzones? any different, i on tzones and it's so slow, but it works perfect never any problem. my friend told me its what edge speed is. i'm used to my htc touch with evdo revA speed. 800kbs down sometime p up to 3mb. my tzones only at 55kbs on a good day. is that normal?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The speed is the same, both are edge since TMo has gotten 3G up everywhere. evdo is much faster. One's edge speed depends on reception (how many bars). The main difference between edge and bis is port restrictions.
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

One of the most common problems with the "turbo sim, yes sim, univeral sim"... etc... is Edge reliability. If your phone does not display the "E" up on the status bar then most likely the SIM is not compatible. You may try putting it in a t-mobile phone first to pair with the system and then back into the iPhone.

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!

i called tmobile yesterday and they were totally helpful.. told me what settings to change and they told me i had to change my plan to the unlimited interenet plan which is exactly what you were all saying... woke up this morning and everything was working perfectly (internet, maps, etc) without wireless internet!

YES!!
    thanks again