+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Considering T-Mobile Iphone purchase, quick quesitons

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum for a couple hours now and learned a lot of useful information. I am considering picking up a 16GB iPhone and blowing my
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Considering T-Mobile Iphone purchase, quick quesitons
    Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum for a couple hours now and learned a lot of useful information. I am considering picking up a 16GB iPhone and blowing my tax refund tomorrow, but have a couple questions to clarify. It may be worth considering building a purchase guide FAQ as well, and I would be happy to help assemble it if I can get some help getting started.

I currently am on a T-Mobile family plan with 700 anytime, unlimited text, and will be adding the MobileWeb feature.

Here are some questions:

1. After unlocking using ZIPhone, will I will be able to immediately receive/make calls and texts once my SIM is in? My phone is my lifeline, and I need to know it will be available while I work on the software.

2. When iTunes asks to update the iPhone, do you have the option to decline the update? Will you still be able to copy music over to the iPhone while an update is required?

Thanks so much for providing such a wealth of information in these forums. I hope I can become a contributing member myself soon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

1. Yes, you snap in your sim and you can Text and call. You have to change your EDGE settings to get the internet. But that is easy. Look for tutorials.

2. Yes, you can decline the update and click "Dont ask me again." functions like a normal ipod just have to remember to not update.

Life is good with T-Mobile iPhones.
    R.I.P - 8GB iPhone - Pwnd - 1.1.4 - T-MobileUSA
    R.I.P 3G- iPhone - All sorts of H4x0r'd
    32gb 3Gs - 3.1.2 Unlocked - AT&T

MacBook (White Uni) - 2.24 - 4GB - 250GB - 10.6.4
    MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz-4GB-320GB - 10.6.1
    MacBook(Aluminum Edish)-2.4GHz-250GB - 10.5.5
    MacBook Air - 1.6 - 80GB -10.5.2 - Lovin' It
    MacBook Pro - 1.83 - 80GB - 10.4.11
    12' PowerBook G4 - 1.5 - 120GB - 10.4.11

Been Cockin' Rockin' and iPhone Unlockin' since v1.0.2.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mkozak For This Useful Post:

willyd158 (02-27-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you! I'll be picking up a 16GB iPhone today so I can get one that is 1.1.3.
    Last edited by willyd158; 02-27-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typos of course

Green Apple
    Thanks

ya man its really easy after you unlock and etc. you put in your sim card and thats it.. and if you get the internet plan with t-mobile i know internet2.voicestream.com works for me in the APN... just leave username and password blank.. and if you need help with ringtones let me know.. good luck
    iPhone 8gb- OTB 1.1.3 fully unlocked and everything working great plus mods

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Which internet plan do you have?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Read up on the T-Zones hack which offers you internet access for $5.99/m - which is better than paying for the $20 EDGE total internet package.

Good luck!

Thanks

One thing to keep in mind that I didn't know (just picked up my iPhone yesterday), the contacts on your SIM card will not be automatically added to you iPhone contacts, you will have to manually add those in. There is an app called iSIM that is supposed to copy the contents of your sim over to the phone, but for some reason does not work for me, maybe you will have a difference experience.

Just a heads up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i need help with ringtones.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    One thing to keep in mind that I didn't know (just picked up my iPhone yesterday), the contacts on your SIM card will not be automatically added to you iPhone contacts, you will have to manually add those in. There is an app called iSIM that is supposed to copy the contents of your sim over to the phone, but for some reason does not work for me, maybe you will have a difference experience.

Just a heads up.
    you dont have to use iSim just so you know there is another program by bigboss experiment/beta or whatever.. if you have that sourse there should be a program called simport works a lot easier and faster plus its free...
    iPhone 8gb- OTB 1.1.3 fully unlocked and everything working great plus mods

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you add the mobile internet to the account and don't mind the $20, I would suggest the "Total Internet Package w/ hotspot."

The tech switched me over from the blackberry plan (that doesn't work for iphones) and it started working in about 5 minutes.

I might have missed something when I was trying to get the blackberry one to work, BUT I don't think I made any changes for it to work. No APN, username, or password.

I have yet to make sure it works, but I think I get unlimited hotspot use with that plan.

Back on topic though. I found that the Command line version of ZiPhone 2.4 using the instructions Snorkrat linked to worked with the least amount of effort. Once I found those instructions it took about 15 minutes from start to finish, it would have been shorter but I was watching TV.

If you have any questions, let me know. I am on Tmobile and did the Unlocking, Jailbreaking, and Activating about 1 week ago.

If you are starting the downloads look for these programs: Ziphone and iTunes 7.5. Available in various threads in this forum.

I had a little trouble to begin with, since i can't follow directions. After I found the newer Ziphone and DID follow directions it went fast enough that I asked myself "that's it?"